My retainer is making me dry heave

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

luchababe

My retainer is making me dry heave

#1 Post by luchababe »

I just got back from getting my retainer. It's making me gag! This pic isn't of mine, but it's the same style.

The arrows point to where I think the gag point are. They're hitting my tongue when I talk and I dry heave. Does anyone watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia? You know how Dee dry heaves? Yeah, it's like that. I just stood in the bathroom and heaved over the sink to try and get it out of my system. I'm to spend the afternoon singing along to some songs to get used to it in my mouth. I hope that works! I'll give it a day or two then call my ortho's office to see if they can suggest anything.

Really wasn't expecting this!

:yuck:

drgnchsr36

Re: My retainer is making me dry heave

#2 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Ugh. This is the second story I've heard about retainers.. :( It sounds almost more difficult to wear them the braces!! Except you can take them out.. (which I cannot wait)..

Hopefully you get used to them in a week or two?!

drgnchsr36

#3 Post by drgnchsr36 »

luchababe wrote:I just got back from getting my retainer. It's making me gag! This pic isn't of mine, but it's the same style.

The arrows point to where I think the gag point are. They're hitting my tongue when I talk and I dry heave. Does anyone watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia? You know how Dee dry heaves? Yeah, it's like that. I just stood in the bathroom and heaved over the sink to try and get it out of my system. I'm to spend the afternoon singing along to some songs to get used to it in my mouth. I hope that works! I'll give it a day or two then call my ortho's office to see if they can suggest anything.

Really wasn't expecting this!

:yuck:
Has it got any better??

luchababe

#4 Post by luchababe »

Not really. I can't hold a long conversation without a gag coming up. I just deal with that. But I only have to wear it 24/7 for another 3 weeks, then it's night only. And as long as I don't talk in my sleep, things should be ok then. :wink:

drgnchsr36

#5 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Sounds good :)

I was just curious, I'm getting mine tomorrow and have heard similar stories.. was just curious if things got better. I know some just wear the bottom ones and then the top at night. I think I'm supposed to wear them for 6 mths 24/7.. then night only.

I wish I had your timeline though :)

Random

#6 Post by Random »

I had a invisalign type retainer, it worked great for me.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#7 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Hey I actually DID puke with this same style of retainer I asked for a pukey bag for on the way home. Dry heaved in the car then legit puked. Funny thing, I also threw up when I had my impressions done.
Jenn Medeiros