Whitening before braces? Good or bad?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nancy13000

Whitening before braces? Good or bad?

#1 Post by nancy13000 »

Hello, I was wondering if getting your teeth whitened like using the strips would be a good or bad idea, since I want my teeth to be as white as possible before being braced. I have sensitive teeth now so will it make it worse or should I use baking soda? Im getting them on in 2 weeks. :)

Crazy4Snow

Re: Whitening before braces? Good or bad?

#2 Post by Crazy4Snow »

I whitened mine before braces, with Crest White Strips. They were a little sensitive when I got the braces on but I'd do it again. I wanted them as white as possible because I knew I wouldn't be able to whiten again until the braces come off.

My story in this forum:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38942

Braced: 4/7/2011
Metal Upper & Lower
Sentence: 18-24 months
Removal Date: 9/4/13

hazybubbles

#3 Post by hazybubbles »

Bad idea if your teeth are crowded as you will only whiten the exposed parts. Unwhitened parts will come into view as the positioning improves and the differences in colour will make them look dirtier than if they had not been whitened at all.

Angel269

#4 Post by Angel269 »

Do those Crest Strips actually work, have heard about them alot with non UK members?

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

Crazy4Snow

#5 Post by Crazy4Snow »

The whitestrips did okay, obviously they're not as good as the solution you get from your dentist. I also brush (once a week) with 1 teaspoon hydrogen peroxide mixed with 1 teaspoon baking soda and a dab of toothpaste. Mix that altogether and then brush for about 2 minutes. It will help maintain the whiteness you achieve with bleaching.

When my braces come off, I will be fitted with invisalign retainers which I can also use as bleaching trays so I'm stoked about that!

My story in this forum:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38942

Braced: 4/7/2011
Metal Upper & Lower
Sentence: 18-24 months
Removal Date: 9/4/13

plugnickel69

#6 Post by plugnickel69 »

I whitened beforehand with a whitening product I get from my dentist. I use a whitening rinse and periodically brush with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.There's no need to have dingy teeth just because you have braces.

nancy13000

#7 Post by nancy13000 »

What kind of whitening rinse did you use? Right now I'm using baking soda until I get my braces put on next monday then I'll stop because obviously I don't want spots on my teeth. Thanks! :D

plugnickel69

#8 Post by plugnickel69 »

You won't get spots. If anything, the areas under your brackets are protected and when the brackets are removed those areas will be whiter than the surrounding areas unless you keep using whitening products.

kbenz

#9 Post by kbenz »

I whitened before. I have clear uppers and I think it helped them be less noticable.

Ellabelle

#10 Post by Ellabelle »

Thanks for asking Nancy, I wondered this myself. My teeth get really sensitive when I've whitened, so I wasn't sure if it'd be a great idea right before the braces go on.

nancy13000

#11 Post by nancy13000 »

Thanks for the replies. I ended up using some baking soda for a few days. They're not perfectly white but they are better. I now have the clarity braces on and ouch does it hurt.

dizzy34

#12 Post by dizzy34 »

ive just got some whitening strips, crest professional to try. i get my braces on 28th november.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#13 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

I did and it actually helped to have them all nice and white so they wouldn't get too dirty or look too gross as if I it would had I not done it.
Jenn Medeiros