Braces in a few weeks. My teeth are terrible.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nancy13000

Braces in a few weeks. My teeth are terrible.

#1 Post by nancy13000 »

So I'm 22 and I'm finally getting braces put on after all my high school feeling embarrassed about my smile. I can afford it for myself now and am actually really excited about it. So I have to get 4 extractions (my 1st premolars). Let me tell you about my smile my lateral incisors I think they call it are behind my central incisors on the top, so embarrasing I know right and on my bottom my canines are like overlapped my incisors. Its weird but I'm so lucky and really happy to finally get them. I'm kind of embarrassed about getting four teeth removed but I know in the end I'll look great. I'm getting ceramic braces on top then metal on bottom. I'm wondering how long the gaps will take to close on top, since my teeth will look a mess? does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

nancy13000

Re: Braces in a few weeks. My teeth are terrible.

#2 Post by nancy13000 »

Also sorry I'd post pics not sure how I do that I'm new to this forum. Any help?

Rusty'sMom

#3 Post by Rusty'sMom »

Nancy....good for you for taking this big step. Once your braces are installed you will notice improvement within a matter of weeks! It is amazing. Good luck with your treatment!
[Image
[/url]]

[Image
[/url]]

NICURN85

#4 Post by NICURN85 »

Welcome to the board Nancy! Congrats on taking the plunge on getting braces. To post pics you first have to have 7 posts on here and your screen name will turn from red to green. Then you can upload your pictures on imageshack or photo bucket (I use imageshack) and use the link they give you and post your pics here. I hope that helps! Keep us posted on your progress.
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

kennyandrew85

#5 Post by kennyandrew85 »

your teeth sound like mine were, i'll try and find some pics to show you how quick they will get better...

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 73#p397373

I think the worse your teeth are when you start, the faster you will see progress.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

nancy13000

#6 Post by nancy13000 »

Thanks guys and gals. I'm way too excited to get them on. Unfortunately I can't see those pics due to me being a new member. I guess I'll get to posting more. I love this site I feel like I'm not alone.

nancy13000

#7 Post by nancy13000 »

Yay I can finally see pics and I'll post pics this weekend to see what I'm talking about. @KennyAndrew yes your teeth are kind of like mine but mine are a million times worse. :(

batwing

#8 Post by batwing »

Welcome Nancy!

I have had two extractions, mine were my upper lateral incisors. My right one was extracted several years ago because it grew in at the roof of my mouth, behind my central incisor like yours. We affectionately called it "The Shark Tooth". My dentist became concerned that if I bit into something hard it would crack and my palate could be injured.

Over the years my teeth shifted to fill in the tiny gap left by that tooth (it was at an angle where the very corner of it was between my canine and central incisor but the rest behind my front tooth!) When my teeth shifted my mid-line became off by quite a bit, nearly the width of a tooth. So when I got braces I opted to have my left lateral incisor pulled on May 31, which created a huge gap. My initial gap was something like 8 or 9mm.

About two weeks ago my dentist estimated my gap was just shy of 2mm. I had an adjustment two days ago and it is even less now, and my orthodontist thinks my gap may be gone by the end of December.

This is the day my tooth was removed, May 31:

This is September 14, this gap has closed about another 1/2 mm or so since then:

Central Ossifying Fibroma removed from mandible 3/8/2012, braced 5/24/2012, One piece Le Fort I performed 12/11/2013, debraced 8/26/2014

nancy13000

#9 Post by nancy13000 »

Hi all ok I finally took pics. Please don't say anything mean. I'm just really glad I can finally afford braces.

Thats my bottom teeth, severe crowding!

My top severe crowding!!!!!!!

gramma2xander

#10 Post by gramma2xander »

Congrats on getting started, its an exciting journey!
:D

Big Tex

#11 Post by Big Tex »

nancy13000 wrote:Hi all ok I finally took pics. Please don't say anything mean. I'm just really glad I can finally afford braces.

Thats my bottom teeth, severe crowding!

My top severe crowding!!!!!!!
sooner than you expect, we're not gonna recognize your teeth anymore. it's pretty crazy how quickly things can move.

congrats on doing this and good luck. look forward to the progress pics.

Ashybear

#12 Post by Ashybear »

Good luck on your braces journey! Keep us updated. Soon your teeth will be unrecognisable.

Ciara

#13 Post by Ciara »

Congratulations on taking the first step. I'm getting braces in a few weeks too.

Ciara

nancy13000

#14 Post by nancy13000 »

I am really way too excited for the whole process to have started. I guess they call it having blocked lateral incisor. Yesterday I got my impressions done and nearly puked. I also feel weird because I don't see any adults with braces at my ortho just kids and teens. Oh well. Luckily I didn't need spacers though so I'm happy about that, Thank God. This is my last week of freedom before the liquid diet and pain starts. I'll update when the braces are put on and pics too :D :tingrin:

JMSmith

#15 Post by JMSmith »

Good luck today!! You will be amazed at how quickly everything will change. Say good-bye to your crowding and hello beautiful smile!!! So excited for you today!!

~Jana :tingrin: