New here and to invaslign

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jacs

New here and to invaslign

#1 Post by Jacs »

Hi new here started my treatment 7 weeks ago,now on tray 4 of 28.This one has been the worst,I have had awful ulcers,the edges are very rough.
I am 50 so quite late starting treatment,hated my teeth for years so finally decided to do something about it.
Great forum,hope to get support and share my experiences with you all.

xtina81

Re: New here and to invaslign

#2 Post by xtina81 »

Have you tried filing down the edges with a nail file? That's what my dentist suggested and a couple of seconds on the trouble spots works wonders! :)
Finally, after 31 years...
20/27U 20/27L - 9 attachments on 7 teeth

http://www.xtina81.blogspot.com

Trixsta

#3 Post by Trixsta »

Hi Jacs,
I am new here as well :) I hope you are feeling better. I am getting my impressions taken on Friday..I am excited and nervous all at the same time :lol:

JillianElizabeth

#4 Post by JillianElizabeth »

I'm new too! i haven't even had my impressions done yet! I am excited tho!

freysmiles

#5 Post by freysmiles »

Great advice from @xtina81 about handling the rough spots. Typically smoothing rough edges is part of the manufacturing process, so that aligner may have just been one that didn't get the proper smoothing.

If the nail file doesn't do the trick, talk to your treating doctor about it and they may be able to take care of it for you; otherwise, the next aligner set shouldn't be that rough so keep on trucking.
Scott Frey DDS, MSD
Board Certified Orthodontist, FreySmiles Orthodontics
Speaker, Invisalign, Henry Schein Orthodontics
Founder, MorethanSmiles.org
AAOF Vanguard & Keystone Societies
Certificate of Orthodontics/Master's in Dentistry, University of Colorado
Fellow, World Congress of Minimally Invasive Dentistry
Faculty/Fellow, American Academy of Facial Esthetics
Top Writer 2012, '13, Quora

jdavisva

#6 Post by jdavisva »

I went an alternative :shock: and more affordable route . I purchased direct from a dental lab that sells different mouth appliances like Hawley retainers, clear retainers, mouth guards, and the "clearaligner" for small movement.
So the process was simple, I was sent a mold kit and I did the molds at home and mailed them back. They reviewed my mold and emailed me back that I was a good candidate. They said I needed 1-2mm of movement and it would take approx 2 aligners as their aligners are aggressive. Today, (5 weeks later) I received my first top aligner. I popped it in and I can feel the pressure. The only thing that is bothering me is that I feel they trimmed them too low in the front and there is a slight area where the aligner needs filing because its rubbing my lip. I sure hope this works.

freysmiles

#7 Post by freysmiles »

@jdavisva I really hope that works out for you.

Lining up teeth really isn't magical, and that isn't really the value of getting orthodontic treatment. Orthodontic treatment is to gain a gorgeous smile that you don't hesitate to share confidently with others and improve your quality of life. There are numerous subtle dimensions to an aesthetic smile, and it is the art of understanding these elements and putting them together that makes the difference. Most of these elements on their own are barely noticeable to the untrained eye (which is why you should consult an aesthetically minded orthodontist), but when they are brought together they help produce a smile that stops traffic. Sometimes lining up teeth without paying attention to these factors can leave you with a less attractive smile overall.

What lab did you contact for that service?
Scott Frey DDS, MSD
Board Certified Orthodontist, FreySmiles Orthodontics
Speaker, Invisalign, Henry Schein Orthodontics
Founder, MorethanSmiles.org
AAOF Vanguard & Keystone Societies
Certificate of Orthodontics/Master's in Dentistry, University of Colorado
Fellow, World Congress of Minimally Invasive Dentistry
Faculty/Fellow, American Academy of Facial Esthetics
Top Writer 2012, '13, Quora

jdavisva

#8 Post by jdavisva »

[quote="freysmiles"]@jdavisva I really hope that works out for you.

Lining up teeth really isn't magical, and that isn't really the value of getting orthodontic treatment. Orthodontic treatment is to gain a gorgeous smile that you don't hesitate to share confidently with others and improve your quality of life. There are numerous subtle dimensions to an aesthetic smile, and it is the art of understanding these elements and putting them together that makes the difference. Most of these elements on their own are barely noticeable to the untrained eye (which is why you should consult an aesthetically minded orthodontist), but when they are brought together they help produce a smile that stops traffic. Sometimes lining up teeth without paying attention to these factors can leave you with a less attractive smile overall.

What lab did you contact for that service?[/quote]

I contacted dental-lab-direct online. I hope it's okay to post that.
I went this route because of cost. I just can't afford someone like you :). Otherwise I would have went to an orthodontist, trust me!
My Metlife dental insurance would not pay for an appliance such as this. It wouldn't even pay for a retainer to keep my teeth from further possible shifting. This company that I went through provides several different appliances. They only provide clear aligners for those who need minor improvement 1mm at a time. I've always had a great smile but after my wisdom teeth were removed, my back teeth shifted and my front tooth started protruding slightly. I was trying to catch it quick before anymore movement. My dentist told me he didn't even notice it and I was worrying for nothing. But, when I close my mouth I can barely see my teeth through my lips and I don't like that. I know this is a risk and I truly hope I don't regret it.

Cadet

#9 Post by Cadet »

Good for you seriously.
Good luck