Really worried :-( Front teeth feel wobbly

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Annie2009

Really worried :-( Front teeth feel wobbly

#1 Post by Annie2009 »

Hello All

I had my braces removed 8 days ago. My teeth felt very delicate after debanding which I thought was to be expected, but I'm alarmed that after over a week (with 24/7 retainer wear) my teeth still feel 'weak', especially at the front, both upper and lower, but mainly upper. I tentatively prodded the front top and bottom teeth earlier and they seem slightly wobbly (didn't push too hard as scared). I'm really worried about this and will call the Ortho office tomorrow. Anyone else experience this? I was amazed to read in one of the other threads about people crunching into tough, crusty foods as their first post-brace meal. I can't imagine biting into anything even after a week :( :cry:

Many thanks for any advice

Ann

starzz

#2 Post by starzz »

My front teeth feel a little loose too, but not enough that it's getting in the way of my eating. I was surprised to realize this when I got the braces off. Basically it's similar feeling to when I had braces still on, that some teeth can be wiggled slightly or if I chew really hard food I feel a bit of discomfort. Fro me it's more my lowers. I know things are still supposed to be changing in my mouth in the next few months -- my bite should "settle" and more bone should grow around the roots to support teeth in their final position. The first time I had braces as a teen, I don't remember this, either it wasn't an issue or I didn't notice. For the record it's 4 weeks since my debanding.
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

dizzyintechnicolor

#3 Post by dizzyintechnicolor »

I just got my braces off last Tuesday and I was concerned about this as well. My front teeth felt loose a bit so I had called my orthodontist to find out if it was normal. She said that it's common for the teeth to be a little loose but it will go away over time.

sadpanda

wobbly teeth

#4 Post by sadpanda »

I read that it was normal to feel loose teeth even a year after your braces are off.

Annie2009

#5 Post by Annie2009 »

Thanks guys :D It's now been one month since deband and my teeth feel so much better! I still wouldn't tackle a crunchy apple but yesterday I actually bit into a (very soft!) sandwich, progress!!!

I was pretty worried at one stage though, good to hear that this is a normal experience (why don't orthos tell you this?!!!)

All the best

joynhrt

Shifting even after 10 months

#6 Post by joynhrt »

It's been a year since I was debraced and my teeth are still shifting. I have an invisilign retainer that I wore almost 24/7 for the first 6 months, now just nightly. However, I believe I will start wearing 24/7 again. Somedays after an entire day without the retainers sometimes hurt going back in.

hotsteve

#7 Post by hotsteve »

Hey guys,
Can I ask if your teeth have since stopped wobbling?? I've seen a few stories of this now with no follow up from people... if it's likely to be a permenent thing then I may decide to not go ahead with my brace treatment (was getting Inman's!).

Thanks for your advice :)

starzz

#8 Post by starzz »

They are improving.
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

hotsteve

#9 Post by hotsteve »

Thanks for the update! :) I don't know why, but ever since I was a kid Ive had recurring nightmares about wobbly teeth... I know thats weird lol but its now playing on my mind!

nomadic myth

#10 Post by nomadic myth »

hotsteve wrote:Thanks for the update! :) I don't know why, but ever since I was a kid Ive had recurring nightmares about wobbly teeth... I know thats weird lol but its now playing on my mind!
Teeth nightmares are normal for people with power cravings. I have dreams about losing my canines. Anyway, I had bite turbos for the final 5 months, and those made my two front teeth really wobbly. I figure things will just work out.

Annie2009

Re: Really worried :-( Front teeth feel wobbly

#11 Post by Annie2009 »

Hello Everyone

Just to update on the wobbly teeth issue...

It's now been around 10 months since I was de-braced, and I noticed yesterday that I was tackling a very crusty chewy bread roll with no problems, so I guess my wobbly front teeth concerns are over :lol: Hope that reassures people considering having braces fitted and those who have just had them removed and are also worried by wobbliness!!

All the best

Annie

lindesd

#12 Post by lindesd »

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this. My braces have been off for 11 days and my two top front teeth are very wobbly! Your post made me feel much better.

hotsteve

#13 Post by hotsteve »

Thanks Annie :D
Wow been nearly 2 years since I replied to this thread! Hopefully will be starting Invisalign soon, so that is very reassuring :) Hope you are still doing well!

ktr78

#14 Post by ktr78 »

Thank you for updating this post with how things turned out. My upper 4 front teeth are disturbingly loose 2 weeks post de-banding.