smile4jen braces at 42

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

smile4jen

smile4jen braces at 42

#1 Post by smile4jen »

I got my Treatment Plan in the mail today (2 weeks after Diagnostics)

Records Show:
-deep overbite
-upper & lower crowding
-TMJ symptoms
-supernumerary (extra) tooth root area of lower bicuspids

Recommended Treatment:
-upper & lower braces
-adjustments every 6-8 weeks
-elastic wear
-will evaluate need to have consultation with oral surgeon regarding extra tooth
-when treatment is complete upper & lower retainers will be placed, monitor for 18 mo.
retainers to be worn full-time 6 mo. and nightly thereafter
-see dentist every 6 mo. thoughout treatment

smile4jen

Re: smile4jen braces at 42

#2 Post by smile4jen »

I wasn't sure I had TMJ (no clicking noises) but I have sinus, tire jaw muscles and ringing every once in awhile.

The will evaluate need to have consultation with oral surgeon regarding extra tooth, has me wondering.

I'd hoped to get a clear "They need out" or "No need"
So I guess this means, if everything is moving right, no surgery. And if it hinders treatment, I'll need to deal with it.
hmm...I wonder how long it will take to know the answer ?

I left a message for my Treatment Coordinator to call me Monday. to see how long til they know if I need the consultation.

TMJJill

#3 Post by TMJJill »

I'm in braces as part of my Phase II braces treatment.

My TMJD symptoms were severe, but they didn't involve any jaw pain either. It took a while for me to figure out the diagnosis.

One thing I'd want to know before moving forward with treatment would be how much training your orthodontist has in treating bites and TMJD. Do they have extra training in TMJD treatment?

I found out through experience that not all dentists who treat TMJD are trained thoroughly and there are a lot of different approaches out there.

It sounds out that you had a pretty thorough records appointment though. Congratulations on your decision to move forward with treatment.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

smile4jen

#4 Post by smile4jen »

OK, talked to my Treatment Coordinator. She said that the extra tooth wouldn't need evaluated til the end of treatment. And because I don't have any problems from it now, likely nothing will need done.

So, this Thursday the braces go on :tingrin:

smile4jen

#5 Post by smile4jen »

I was braced yesterday.

When the brackets were put on and I was told I could go rinse. I felt like I had straggly old teeth, like a old cartoon witch. After the wire was put on it was a little less rough, still rough.
I waxed only my hooks back and front to prevent the snags I felt. But left the other brackets alone to give me time to get use to them. If one really bothers me I'll cover it, so far I'm OK with them.

The only pain I've felt is when I got the bright idea to hold my hair clipping with my teeth. So, lesson learned, they don't hurt unless I us them. So far, the Plan is working. No chew foods for a few days. :wink:
All I feel now is pressure like I would have on my bad days pre-braced.

I was amazed at the change in bite, before I even left the building.

I didn't need to get the Turbos, my teeth cleared the brackets :thumbsup: This morning I had hubby double check. I could feel the change in my mouth. I don't think pictures would have shown a change but I can feel it already.

BraceFace2o1o

#6 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Congrats on starting your braces journey :)

I started with a deep overbite, upper & lower crowding and TMJ symptoms. My overbite has been totally corrected with braces alone which I am totally amazed at the difference now and before. My TMJ (I had a very clicky jaw, jaw pain and ear aches etc) eased up almost completely during my treatment but since wearing elastics it's started to come back... hopefully it wont stay.

You'll see progress quickly, I know I did. By about 6 months in my teeth were straight. I noticed movement by comparing pics within the first 5 days.

Eating will get easier! And you're totally right, sometimes we only notice the teeth are tender when we use them :lol:.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

smile4jen

#7 Post by smile4jen »

Can't wait for the barbed wire feeling to go away.

Wax (Mack's), oral rinses and Kanka as needed.

smile4jen

#8 Post by smile4jen »

It's been 10 days and I'm happy to report. My Canker sore from my lower hook is gone, it had showed up day 2.
The Barbed Wire feeling is gone. Still feel them, but don't have a need for wax.

Now I feel like a horse with a new bit. Anythings better than barbed wire.

I have all Metal went with silver ligs the first round. Most people haven't noticed my braces til I point them out. The only ones that seem to notice are people who have had an adult family member with braces.

My teeth have amazed me. Almost level and alot straighter. I have room for my tongue between the back molars. The right side still needs to come out some.

My next appointment isn't until Dec. 6. Why do I feel the need for things to move :roll:

AlexO890

#9 Post by AlexO890 »

Hi Jen, do you still have your braces?