SARPE Surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

decisionmade

#31 Post by decisionmade »

hi Katem and good luck with your surgery!..Even though I am 34..I moved in with my mom for three weeks..so she could turn the expander for me. Before surgery, I had fully inteneded to do it myself..the orthos assured me it was possible with a couple of mirrors and lots of light.. but I definately couldn't have done it for the several days after surgery..I just wouldn't have been able to deal with it...so then I just got in the routine of having her do it which was less stressfullo for me.

As for recovery time..I would say I had three days in which I just wanted to to watch tv and sleep a lot. I was really weak due to low calorie intake in addition to healing..After that I perked up a bit but remained swollen for a long time. I've been lucky since I ama teacher and am able to take the summer off to deal with this.

Its now been 4 1/2 weeeks since surgery and I am very used to the expander but every day seems to be a little different..sometimes I have a little teeth sesativity and discomfort and other daysI feel great...All in all the surgery and recovery was much better than i had aticipated and looking at my wider smile I kow it was the right thing to do.

I hope this helps and I'm here to answer any questions that come up for you..you also might check out my story under "decisionmade's story" good luck to you!
D.M.
oh by the way I had it turned 2xday for 2 wks..
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

katemm06

#32 Post by katemm06 »

Hi Decisionmade,

Thanks for your response. I'm glad that your recovery is going fairly smoothly. I will also be at home with my mom for two weeks before I head back to college for the rest of the year, so hopefully she can turn the key for me.

It really is difficult to know what to expect until once the surgery is performed, but I'm definently trying to have an optimistic outlook!!!

I did take a look at your picture and if you don't mind me saying so, your gap is huge! But I'm sure mine will look just like yours. It is so worth it in the long-term to get this procedure done now. Will you need to have any other oral surgery done in the future or is this it for you? I have to get jaw surgery down the road as well.

I will keep you posted about my surgery this Tuesday. I cannot wait for it to be over and done with!

joplin

#33 Post by joplin »

My boyfriend turned the key for me whenever he was around. When he had to take a trip, there was one weekend when I had no other option than to do it myself and I did, to my own surprise: it took a little time, effort and patience before I could find the keyhole but I did and the turning itself was quite easy.
Good luck, Katemm06! Keep the positive attitude and you'll do fine :)
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

decisionmade

#34 Post by decisionmade »

hi Katem..thats great you will have your mom's help as well- and as joplin can testify it is possible to do it yourself if you have to...Yes the space creatd for me is Huge although believe it or not I've seen pictures of people with bigger ones..as well as much smaller ones..I guess it depends on how crowded your teeth are and how much space is needed for the orthodontics to get started..Thankfully though the space is supposed to spontaneously fill in with a few weeks of stopping the turning of the key and i am finnally seeing that..Honestly that part is the worst ..not because I think I look funny (which I know i do) but because when people I know look at me, I feell like I hvae to go into my whole story which is just a drag....
I am very lucky in that I will not need further surgery other than one extraction in a few weeks..my very mild overjet will be fixed with orthodontics..

Good luck to you tuesday! Afterwards take the painkillers as perscribed, follow your surgeons directions and sleep as much as possible..(i was even updating friends through email the night of the surgery) and keep me posted on your recovery..we'll all be sending you lots of positive energy :D _DM

katemm06

#35 Post by katemm06 »

Thank you Joplin and Decisionmade for the well wishes with surgery. It is so exciting to finally have things underway.

I can only imagine how people probaly ask you millions of questions about what happened to your teeth, DM. I'm sure that's going to be annoying for me to handle too when I return to college. It's kind of like when someone breaks their arm and every single person wants to know how it happened!!!! But oh well!

When will your gap be closed DM? Has the orthodontist put the wire on your teeth that helps to close the gap yet?

P.S.(I definently plan on taking the pain meds but my oral surgeon keeps saying that it really is not necessary. He swears his patients never take them!)

decisionmade

#36 Post by decisionmade »

Hi Katem, Supposedly the gap is going to fill in on its own "within a few weeks" as the teeth discover the new space ..and something is definately happening ..my bite is changing daily and they are achey and sometimes feel loose so there is definately some movement and i think the space has gotten a little bit smaller in the last couple of days....As soon as the braces go on any remainig gap will close up fast..My teeth are super crowded and flossing has become so nice and easy....

As for painkillers..I loved that they made me sleepy and relaxed and of course pain free..but of course we are all different and I'm sure it is true that some people don't need to take them after this surgery.

What happens next for you after sarpe? After the stabilization period when do you have your next surgery? Are you braced on the bottom right now or not at all?..and again congratulations on taking these first steps..I have such a feeling of peace that I am finally dealing with something thats bothered me my whole life..what a relief..I'm sure you are feeling the same ...

RachelP

SARPE insurance hassles

#37 Post by RachelP »

Hey everyone -

I just spent the last hour going through all the old messages on this forum, and am so happy I found it. I had previously checked out the site on yahoo - and it was good, but this one seems much better and easier to follow.

Anyway - I am currently hoping to have a SARPE, and most of my questions about swelling, complications, etc have been answered from reading this forum. One thing I did not see mentioned was issues of insurance coverage. I do not have dental coverage, and am currently getting the MAJOR run-around with my medical insurance company. If anyone could talk about their experience with this part of the process I would be so appreciative.

Also - an update on me and my situation if it helps or if anyone has any questions:

I am 24 years old, and also went to get braces only to find out I need this procedure. I am looking at an eventual 7mm gap. My orthodontist put the exander in and we tried to expand without surgery to no avail. I actually just got the expander off today because I am having to wait so long for insurance approval. he is going to put it back in once surgery is actually scheduled. I have found that turning it on my own was easy (as far as seeing the whole and turning), but I was really only shifting my teeth around at first - so it eventually became impossible and we realized my palette was fused. Anyway - it is off now for a brief time, which is a relief, but I must admit that it hurt to take off. When it is all done I am getting invisalign braces. Has anyone else gone that route?

I was also glad to hear that so many people had gotten emotional during this process. I have been a wreck. It is as though one day I feel fine, and like I can handle it all, and the next day I think there is no way I can do this.

Currently I am a graduate student, and while my professors are being very supportive, I am really worried about taking time off. I am a student in clinical psychology - and also have a lot of fears about performing therapy with clients with a huge gap in my teeth.

At any rate - I am so happy to find this site. Sorry for the huge post - but I wanted to get as much info out there as possible right off the bat. If anyone has any insurance advice I would greatly appreciate it. Also - if you don't mind telling how much your procedure cost, that would help too. In the event that insurance doesn't cover it, I am looking into financing it.

decisionmade

#38 Post by decisionmade »

(It is as though one day I feel fine, and like I can handle it all, and the next day I think there is no way I can do this.)

Rachel you are not alone. This is exactly how I have felt and the relief of having the first steps taken..(The decision made plus sarpe) Has been a sense of relief for me...I'm glad reading through these posts has helped you. As you can see I am on her ALOT and have found it to be a constant source of comfort from keeping my own diary under "our stories" to posting questions and providing support to others..it has been a wonderful focus for me. I also had trouble following the yahoo boards which brought me here.
I am suprised you were put throught the expander attempt without surgery at 24 it seems obvious that would only result in your teeth moving and not your palate..what a drag you had to go through that..
While the turning may have been easy for you..and its good you've had practice with it..it will definately be more difficult when you are swollen with the stitches so I hope you can have someone help you at first..i have pictures posted under "decisionmade's story" of the resulting space for me and some more info of my journey if you are interested.
Good luck to you with getting your surgery date set up..after I made my appointment I already felt some relief from having the date set.
oh and I'm afraid I can't give yo any insight into insurance coverage since I didn't have any but I'm sure there is someone else here who can answer those questions..good luck and keep us posted :D

RachelP

#39 Post by RachelP »

Thanks decisionmade. My mom and my boyfriend will be there to help me for as long as I need after the surgery so I'm sure one of them can help me turn. My orthodontist had told me that he had had the expander by itself work for lots of older people - even up to age 60! He said there was no way to tell unless you gave it a go - so I thought I would take my chances. I was really bummed it didn't work.

If you paid for the surgery yourself, what am I looking at if my insurance ends up not covering it? I would appreciate any info possible about the financial aspect...being a student I am generally pretty poor and financial stuff seems to cause the most stress in my life.

Thanks so much!

joplin

#40 Post by joplin »

Rachel, good luck with your surgery!

About painkillers: I only needed them for the first couple of days. My OS prescribed me 600 mg ibuprofen and something stronger (codeine?) in case. I never needed the stronger stuff at all. It really is hard to believe, but as the OS said, after SARPE there usually is less pain than when you've had your wisdom teeth pulled.

I got emotional in the process, too. The peak was soon after the surgery when all those stitches were bothering me and eating was difficult. Maybe the anaesthesia meds had something to do with it aswell. When they leave your body you may be dragged down a little, but it all goes with the territory. Let those who will be taking care of you know that you may need to feel sorry for yourself a little at some point and will be needing some hugging and hand holding :) That will pass.

Try to make the best of your recovery: keep good books handy, get a lot of sleep, take the opportunity to be a couch potato and watch all your favorite movies, whatever makes you feel good :)
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

katemm06

I made it to the other side!

#41 Post by katemm06 »

Hi everyone,

Well, I had my surgery on Tuesday morning. It has been quite a bumpy ride so far. I'm not in too much discomfort due to the pain meds but I am really swollen and numb. My upper lip especially is extremely numb. Besides the sarpe I also had my four wisdom teeth removed, which could also be contributing to the swolleness. It feels really difficult to smile right now. My oral suregon turned the key 11 times in the operating room, so I do have a gap between my teeth right now. I will go to his office this Friday and he will show me how to turn the key.

I have to say that the MOST disgusting part of the whole surgery experience is the Blood. When I awoke from the anaesthesia, my nosebleeds were really heavy and my mouth was filled with blood. It really grossed me out looking at the blood. Today, my nose is still covered in dried blood and it is on the corners of my mouth ( I can't get the stuff off!) I know its normal to have this but I don't feel really attractive right now.

DM or Joplin, when did you guys start brushing your teeth after surgery? To be honest, I'm kind of scared to brush them, especially since it is difficult to feel the inside of my mouth. I'm really scared that I'm going to brush one of the sutures and cause myself more problems. The only cleaning I have done so far is use the prescribed mouthwash. Any suggestions?

I am really only in the beginning stages so far, but hopefully in a few months I will be much better adjusted to the whole experience like you guys. I will definently keep you posted on my progress.

I currently have braces on my bottom teeth that were put on in March. The more advanced surgery is probaly a year or more away (thank God!) I can't even think about that right now!

By the way, for the member who wrote about insurance concerns, my surgery was fully covered by my health insurance, Blue Cross Blue Shield. It was approved within 3 months, so I was really lucky. However, the same insurance company did not approve another SARPE patient of my oral surgeon, so I think these companies can be really difficult. However, keep on appealing it. I'm not surprised that you need the surgery because once you are in your 20's your bone is set in place and it is hard to shift the jaw without surgery. Good luck to you!

RachelP

#42 Post by RachelP »

Thanks for replying about the insurance. I have blue cross blue shield as well - it has been right at three months since my doctor sent in the predetermination, and I thought that was excessively long - but you seem to feel that is an acceptable amount of time to wait, so maybe I am just impatient. I haven't been flat out declined yet - so I will keep my fingers crossed - but I am ready for a possible appeal and I have even spoken with a friend of the family who is a lawyer, and may bring him on board if it becomes necessary. I just want to get this over with so badly. People keep asking me if I should wait for a more convenient time - but I have thought about it alot and decided there is no convenient time for things like this - so the sooner the better!

Good luck on your road to recovery!

decisionmade

#43 Post by decisionmade »

oh katem, ! know it is tough but hang in there..11 times!! wow!!!Mine wasn't turned at all during surgery and didn't have a space until 1 and a half weeks after..but I also know all cases are different...I was SO swollen..not immediately afterwards but blew up that night and the following day..and I'm sure having the teeth extracted at the same time is playing a big part of your discomfort as well...Nose bleeds are so common as you know..I was afraid to wipe my nose or sneeze ..I even am nervous now although its weeks later...I know I don't have to tell you this but things will improve..lean on your family and friends and let them take care of you..Regarding brushing teeth I know just what you mean..My surgeon called me at home the first night to check on me and i told him I couldn't imagine trying to brush my teeth but he said I should.. and well I didn't..oops, oh well.. but the next day I was able to get a little toothe paste in on the front teeth..it kept getting easier but it was very difficult for me to open my mouth very wide at all and the loss of feeling is a little weird..as well as the stiches...oh and also I swished my mouth with salt water many times a day as my dr told me to which I believe helped with the healing...and also slept with my body upright..I practically lived in the high back recliner at my mom's with the clicker and my smoothies and painkillers within reach....Keep us posted on yur progress and vent here when things are tough and also let us celebrate with you as they improve..I look forward to following your progress on this crazy journey:) all the best! DM

joplin

#44 Post by joplin »

when did you guys start brushing your teeth after surgery?
The OS told me not to brush as long as the stitches were there and said mouthwash only. When I felt comfortable doing so (could open my mouth enough etc.), I brushed my lowers normally and upper front teeth very carefully, avoiding the area where the stitches were.

You had your wisdom teeth out at the same time? That's a lot of work done in your mouth :shock: I wish you a speedy recovery!

mic26

#45 Post by mic26 »

I haven't logged on in a few days, and I've missed so much! I'm glad to hear of another SARPE surgery going well. Good luck with the healing process Katemm06. I have my surgery on August 23. I'm getting excited to get it over with. I only took a week off of work, I hope that's enough, I guess I'll just have to see how I heal.

I'm slowly adjusting to the expander. It's getting easier to eat and talk. I'm so glad for that.

Anyways, thanks everyone for the info and the encouragement!
~mic26