Honestly, do you floss?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vegathestar

Honestly, do you floss?

#1 Post by vegathestar »

You know i'm guilty of not flossing my teeth at all!
Throughout my 7 months of braces ordeal (i am still ongoing braces treatment), I have only flossed only once or twice. :-*

I'm too lazy and its just too difficult to floss, especially when my floss gets stuck at the brackets they get fray and shredded.
I know its disgusting! Maybe its time to get a waterpik.
I have no cavities yet though, thanks to flouride water supply

Sita

Re: Honestly, do you floss?

#2 Post by Sita »

Every night. I'm a goody two shoes though. :-) I have only missed two or three nights since getting braces and those were only because I was sick at the time.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

oimysizex

#3 Post by oimysizex »

I do sometimes, I don't do it every day which i know i should do! I used the interdental brushes, i brush 2-3 a day and use mouth wash after every meal, so I do everything apart from flossing, its just quite hard to floss and I just give up..
haha

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Glandyover

#4 Post by Glandyover »

All the time. ALL. THE. TIME!

I use Plackers. They're flosser sticks and they fit under the wire. They're really easy to use and don't take much time at all. They have some called the spam spam spam that do the same thing. Get 'em. Trust me, they're so much easier than messing around with string.
Last edited by Glandyover on Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Noni

#5 Post by Noni »

I floss twice a day :tingrin:

Quad Helix Expander and Braces to correct unilateral posterioor crossbite (TMJ treatment ). 6 months
Braces journey : 11 months 3 weeks (from 12 march 2012 to 3 march 2013)
My Story and Progress Update

vegathestar

#6 Post by vegathestar »

Wow honestly you guys are making me feel guilty! Now i'm fearing for my teeth, I almost NEVER floss and I don't use mouthwash. Good gracious god. Now that I looked at my teeth, I realized theres small 'black lines' on my back molars! Are those cavities? I'm pretty sure they were already there before I got braces though.
Glandyover wrote:All the time. ALL. THE. TIME!

I use Plackers. They're flosser sticks and they fit under the wire. They're really easy to use and don't take much time at all. They have some called the spam spam spam that do the same thing. Get 'em. Trust me, they're so much easier than messing around with string.
Are you using this?
http://www.dentakit.com/plackers.html
God! my orthodontist have never showed me dental flosses recommended for braces. He only showed me how to floss my teeth with the regular dental flosses, what a pain in the ass. Took me half an hour to get my whole mouth covered.

Glandyover

#7 Post by Glandyover »

vegathestar wrote: Are you using this?
God! my orthodontist have never showed me dental flosses recommended for braces. He only showed me how to floss my teeth with the regular dental flosses, what a pain in the ass. Took me half an hour to get my whole mouth covered.
Look, you. I'm done talking with you about this until you go buy yourself some frigging flossers and stick 'em between your teeth. Then we can have a conversation like reasonable adults.

Go on! Why are you still looking at your screen like that? Get those car keys and go to the drug store or whatever. GO!
:gavel:

klobird

#8 Post by klobird »

Hey ya---If you're in the USA the "Glide Pro-Health Threader Floss" works well.
It doesn't shred and is much easier to get under the archwire, as opposed to other threader floss.

At the very least use a waterpik. It just plain helps your mouth and teeth to feel cleaner. It's amazing when I think my mouth is free of debris and I use my waterpik and there's still a lot of food particles rinsing out.

If I'm going to spend thousands of dollars to improve the health and looks of my teeth, then I'm sure as hell going to try to preserve the health by rinsing, flossing, proxabrushing, brushing....I don't have any more $$$ to spend on cavities and gum disease!

vegathestar

#9 Post by vegathestar »

Glandyover wrote:
vegathestar wrote: Are you using this?
Look, you. I'm done talking with you about this until you go buy yourself some frigging flossers and stick 'em between your teeth. Then we can have a conversation like reasonable adults.

Go on! Why are you still looking at your screen like that? Get those car keys and go to the drug store or whatever. GO!
:gavel:
I'm not going to lie but in my small small country in Asia we don't have plackers! It is gonna be difficult to find a similar product in the local drugstore :-*
klobird wrote:Hey ya---If you're in the USA the "Glide Pro-Health Threader Floss" works well.
It doesn't shred and is much easier to get under the archwire, as opposed to other threader floss.

At the very least use a waterpik. It just plain helps your mouth and teeth to feel cleaner. It's amazing when I think my mouth is free of debris and I use my waterpik and there's still a lot of food particles rinsing out.

If I'm going to spend thousands of dollars to improve the health and looks of my teeth, then I'm sure as hell going to try to preserve the health by rinsing, flossing, proxabrushing, brushing....I don't have any more $$$ to spend on cavities and gum disease!
Wow this is very inspiring! You made waterpik sounds amazing! Guess its worth shelling out the 30 bucks for a waterpik.
Oh god i'm not gonna lie, my teeth have got my wallet very poor :-((

BellaBraces

#10 Post by BellaBraces »

Phillips Sonicare airflosser is great. I actually use it at least once a day.

orangeracer

#11 Post by orangeracer »

Braced teeth tend to move into new positions faster and with less discomfort if they are kept clean along with the gum tissue. So the extra time and effort to floss is well worth it! :tingrin:

cavomington

#12 Post by cavomington »

Threader floss* is really easy to use, probably not as easy as that placker though. The laziest option is to buy a Waterpik Ultra Flosser. After each meal I go blast each crevice with a full tank on high. It does such an amazing job, I hardly feel like I need to brush after due to how precise I've become with it in the last 2 months, though of course I always do. I floss every 3 days just to make sure that there is no build up, but I pretty much have not seen any since getting good with the Waterpik. You definitely need to do something though, you're going to end up wasting thousands of dollars and years of degrees of discomfort if you let plaque build up with braces on. Also, after the first 15 or so flossings it will go a lot faster. I've only had braces for 2 months, though I feel like I floss faster with braces on and more space, than when my teeth were crowded without them.

*(NOT ORAL B SUPERFLOSS,terrible quality and gets caught on brackets)

CoryDaniels

#13 Post by CoryDaniels »

I use the waterpik waterflosser. My dentist told me to use that instead of using regular floss because he knows that I would probably use the water flosser more so than regular floss....im telling you, it makes things SO MUCH EASIER. you just point, close your mouth and turn it on. Maybe takes 3 minutes for your whole mouth.

fosterp

#14 Post by fosterp »

I use a waterpik attached to my shower head every morning. I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually flossed in the last two and a half years with braces. So far I've not had any cavities and my perio issues have not gotten worse (a little bit better if anything) which is saying a lot since I never once had a cavity free exam until I had braces and was using the waterpik.

So, ideally you would both floss and use a waterpik, brush after every meal, chew xylitol gum, never eat sugar, and get professional teeth cleaning once a month...but in keeping realitistic expectations...flossing with braces takes "forever" and using a waterpik is extremely fast. Is it as effective? Probably not...but it still does a very good job.

sibilla

#15 Post by sibilla »

I've never managed to floss with braces but I do use a Waterpik twice a day - morning and night. It's been an absolute life saver.

I must admit, I would agree with other posts here - you should do something....would be a shame to waste all that time, effort and money....