Jem's belated story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jem

Re: Jem's belated story

#16 Post by jem »

Thanks Kellyb,

Not sure how much longer. My next adjustment is on 7 August and I will ask then if I think my teeth are looking anything like ready.The Damon system uses a sequence of wires and if that sequence is followed I would expect to get a stainless steel rectangular wire before finishing. Six weeks with my current wire plus six with a stainless steel one means a minimum of 12 weeks from now, which would be 8.5 months in total.I think it more likely that I will have 2 more adjustments and finish in 10 months. I would be OK with that.

My left canine is untwisting well and this thicker wire should complete that. My incisors are probably more irregular now than before due to the powerchains, but I am hoping this new wire will get them into line with the space created by the IPR and powerchains. I will post pics if I see any significant movement.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

kellyb

#17 Post by kellyb »

Hopefully you will be finished by the top end of your estimate though to be honest, even if you have to do 10 mos, that is still pretty good. I would do anything to have just a 10 mos sentence lol. I am hoping mine will be less than the 18 mos estimate though I wouldn't be too bothered by an extra month or 2.

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

jem

#18 Post by jem »

I had my 5th adjustment yesterday.

My ortho removed the faulty bracket on my left lateral incisor . I guess this was a mini rehearsal for the eventual removal of the whole brace. She used a pincer- like tool to remove the bracket and it came off easily and in one piece. She then used a drill or similar sounding instrument to grind off the glue. This sounded exactly like having a tooth drilled prior to filling and I instinctively expected some pain to follow, which of course did not happen. So not too bad, but I imagine a bit tedious if you are removing a full set of top and bottom braces.

She then placed a new bracket in a slightly different position on the tooth. The tooth was both twisted and protruding and I think the aim of the different placement is now to push the tooth back rather than try for any more untwisting.It is a rather odd shaped and undersized tooth, so it will never look perfect.

My ortho had removed the curry stained powerchain which spanned my central and right lateral incisors and replaced it with what she called a holding wire which consists of white coated ligature wire looped round the brackets on the same teeth. She called it "aesthetic wire". It looks ok at the moment and I hope the wire coating does not wear off as it has on earlier archwires.

I have gone back to a smaller, round-profile archwire. It is silver coloured again and I think white wires are a thing of the past for me. It was apparently necessary to go back to a smaller wire because of the different position of the new bracket being such that it would not have been possible to re-fit a stiffer, rectangular profile wire. I assume I will have one of those again at my next adjustment which is on 18 September.

I asked my ortho how she felt my treatment was going and how long she thought it might take to finish. She said it was going fine but my left side was taking longer to straighten out than the right ( not surprising since the right side was almost straight when we began). She would not be drawn on how long and I think I may be a few months yet. That does not particularly worry me. I have got quite used to the brace now and my priority is to get the best and most stable result possible.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012

kellyb

#19 Post by kellyb »

it's coming along nicely jem. i am sure you wont have much longer to go :D

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

Angel269

#20 Post by Angel269 »

Glad to hear things are coming together now-Hope you are on target or a slightly shorter treatment time than estimated :-)

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

jem

#21 Post by jem »

Thanks Angel!

jem

#22 Post by jem »

And thanks Kellyb!

jem

#23 Post by jem »

I had my 6th adjustment yesterday which was relatively uneventful. I now have a 16x25 rectangular wire. I'm not sure whether it is bigger or the same size as the one I had before I downsized last adjustment because of having the bracket on my left lateral moved.
My left lateral and canine were a little tender last night but not enough to warrant any pain relief and they are fine this morning. My left premolar is a little tender to eat with this morning, but again nothing too bad. My next adjustment is 30 October.
I will post pictures later.

Jem

jem

#24 Post by jem »

Top picture is today. Lower picture is after my last adjustment 6 weeks ago. My ortho sees some change but it is too subtle for me to see

jem

#25 Post by jem »

Again, top picture today and second picture after my last adjustment. I hope I will see more progress with the rectangular wire.

jem

#26 Post by jem »

This view from the side gives a better idea of how much my left lateral is still protruding. The idea is to pull it back towards the canine. The canine itself still needs to come down a bit for my left side to be level and to match my right canine.

My ortho has been doing the IPR carefully and incrementally, but she says that when my left lateral is finally in place, I may well be left with a gap between it and my left central and that my general dentist will need to build the tooth up to close the gap. Whilst I am disappointed by this, it is not a complete surprise since there was a warning in my initial engagement letter that there may be gaps left at the end of treatment for patients with congenitally small lateral incisors. Did anyone else have this warning?

EbonyQ

#27 Post by EbonyQ »

Looks good Jem! Are you on the .018 wire? :D
How was the IPR? I will need that on my lowers (I warned my ortho that I might need some valium or something on that appoitment :roll: ).

[/url]

jem

#28 Post by jem »

Thanks Eb,

My ortho said it is a .016 ( rectangular) wire. Perhaps I will get the larger one next time.

I have not had IPR for the last couple of appointments and don't expect any more. It is really no problem- it does not hurt at all and I did not find it particularly uncomfortable in any way. My ortho did it by hand rather than using any type of machine and it must have been hard work. I commented on this and she said that she has a large invisalign practice so does a lot of IPR. She said that invisalign is very much based on IPR.

I am glad to see that you are doing so well Ebony.

Jem

jem

#29 Post by jem »

Top picture is today. Bottom picture is 3 months ago. Not much difference really. I have had the bracket on the left premolar moved and a smaller wire for 6 weeks between these rectangular wires. I think there is now a slightly bigger space between my left central and left canine. Also, the left lateral and canine have untwisted slightly. Hopefully the lateral will move further back into that space over the next few weeks.

jem

#30 Post by jem »

I should have said in the post above that the bracket on my left lateral was moved