TAD and barces for an open bite

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ajs604

TAD and barces for an open bite

#1 Post by ajs604 »

Hi everyone, I am new on here. I found this webiste through google and thought it looked good.

Anyway I am just looking for a bit of advice. I am 29 years old and have an anterior open bite - started when I was about 15- 17, I think. I put treatment off over the years as the surgery sounded very invasive and is not a procedure I wanted to go down. However, yesterday I went to see an orthodontist as would like to try and improve my facial profile if possible without surgery.

I have a class 111 - I think its classed as and only my last two molars touch. He mentioned something about TAD with braces - total treatment will last between 18 mths - 2 years and will cost approx $ 8000 Aus. ouch! I advised him that I did not want surgery and if necessary was prepared to live with the open bite if treatment was not suitable. He suggested the TAD, and said that surgery is really a last resort and he feels that he can definatly improve my bite and bring most of my molars into contact. Whist he does not invisadge is that I will have total closure but he thinks it will improve it considerably. I am honestly happy with this as I am in no pain and have lived with this for years and would never consider surgery.
Can anyone advise who has had this treatment. I have read a lot of conflicting advice. Anything appreciated and thank you in a advance.

MyBiggestRegret

Re: TAD and barces for an open bite

#2 Post by MyBiggestRegret »

If you are OK with your mouth the way it is why bother with the expense ,pain,and time commitment?
From what you are saying it doesn't sound like you will be able to chew all that much better.

I too have an open bite which didn't bother me at all. I had one side that worked perfect for me.All my teeth on that side made contact. I only had braces put in after years of contemplation and the urging of my dentist. I am 56 . I am 8 months into treatment and I have only regrets. I certainly was not warned of any of the possible things that could go wrong.
I developed constant severe headaches on the open bite side.3 months into treatment I developed severe nose bleeds from the pulling of the braces and bands on the open side.I had to go to the ER after not being able to control the blood fountain from my nose after 2 hr. Nose bleeds were a daily occurance until just recently. It was cauterized twice . The orthodo took the braces off on the bottom of that side.I developed clear fluid drips from the same rip in my nose (?CNS fluid). My face ,on that side,was severely puffy from the braces rubbing into them and the bands that shredded the inside of my cheeks.That side drooped from being pulled downward. That side still aches and feels aweful like it is being pulled on. Orthodo stopped the bands at the same time when he took the lower braces on the open bite side and said my open bite can not be fixed which was the whole reason I got the braces. I no longer can clear food from my mouth as well as I could. I frequently feel like I am choking. I no longer have any bite on my good side since the braces shifted the teeth. My speech sounds like I am developmentally delayed and I am frequently asked to repeat myself. Now I am having ringing in my ears and partial hearing loss. I still have most of the braces on, supposedly to try to remedy the misalignment to the good side .We'll see if he can get it anywhere close to where it was.
I just can't believe any of this. I was given no warning what so ever that anything like this might happen.I was absolutely fine with the way my mouth was but my dentist wasn't. I can no longer smile and my face looks like Barney Rubble from the Flintstones.All this for only $7200.
Orthodo has no answers for me .I would like to have these things taken off but I have no bite now. I am hoping he will take them off and put them on right without pushing my bad side forward into my face and without stretching out that side. :x

ajs604

#3 Post by ajs604 »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear about your expereince.

Whilst I have no problems. Only my last molars are in contact. The idea of the TAD's and barces was to give me more of a bite - which I was advised would improve as well as straighthen my front teeth. I am not after perfection nor surgery, just an improved bite. I really dont want it to get worse though.

cocomi

#4 Post by cocomi »

Hello,

Unfortunately I cannot give you a clear answer, as I have never had it, but I will be getting TAD's for my treatment.

I also have an open bite (quite severe :oops: ) and I've seen three orthodontists so far. The first one really scared me because he said surgery is the only way to fix it best (which I do not have the money, courage, or time for).

I'm actually going to get Invisalign with TAD's. I think it's a relatively new procedure, but the ortho told me it would push my teeth up into the jaw (my jaw is all sorts of crazy.. i think the top one grew too much and the bottom one didn't grow enough). I'm fine with TAD's because I think it's more affordable and will give you results. Maybe not the "best" ones that surgery can give you, but I think it can fix the open bite.

Wish I could give you more information, but just posting to let you know you're not alone! :D

ajs604

#5 Post by ajs604 »

Hi cocomi
Thanks for your posts. Its great to know that someone else is going through the same process. I am having the moulds done in a few wks - and scans ect of the jaw done.

Not sure if I am having invisalign. The ortho said he dose not think he could correct the open bite completly but says he can improve it considerably. I really do not want the surgery either. It seems so invasive, so will be happy with any improvement. If he manages to close it completely then that would be awesome, but lets see. I have been quoted $8,500, so not cheap. I am also 29 so feel a bit old for braces.

Anyway stay in touch and let us know about your progress :D