Closing the gateways at 38

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mitch11

Closing the gateways at 38

#1 Post by Mitch11 »

Hi!
I'm 38 and after avoiding the topic for years decided to bite the bullet and visit an orthodontist. The gap between my top 2 front teeth was just becoming larger and my other teeth were also starting to spread out. It's been 17 days since I got both upper and lower ceramic braces. My doc is one of those no nonsense types and gets right down to business. I think I'm lucky as I didn't need to have any teeth extracted, but there are a lot of gaps to close. As I used to suck my thumb as a kid I now have an over bite and an off center alignment.

Just wondering, did anyone else feel like the edges of their canines were super sensitive after getting braces?

I'm a smoker so after reading all the posts on this great website I decided against clear or light shades for my chains, so kicked off with the purple power chains. Surprised the heck of my dentist as he probably expected me to go with something less obvious.

:GapToothed:

BraceFace2o1o

Re: Closing the gateways at 38

#2 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Hi Mitch11 and congrats on starting your braces journey! When I was first braced a lot of my teeth felt sensitive, particularly when brushing and flossing... ouch! it does get better though :)

I love having colours. For a while my orthos assistant always assumed I wanted clear or silver ligatures (I have metal braces) but I would always say no, purple or black! I like black the best, it fades the least and doesn't stain :mrgreen:
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

Angel269

#3 Post by Angel269 »

Hi Mitch11

Welcome to the board. I am also have braces for an upper diastema and have had them just over a month and I have already had around 1mm closure :-) Feel free to check my story out, as there are a couple of pics on there too.

Out of interest what sort of timescale have you been given for treatment? Look forward to seeing photos and hearing more as your journey progresses.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

Mitch11

#4 Post by Mitch11 »

Thanks Angel269 and Braceface2o1o

@ Angel269 : my ortho quoted that it would take about 1 year. I've got my fingers crossed that this planned date stays as I've got some major plans that hinge on my braces coming off.

Got my appointment next Monday (6 Aug), intend on quizzing my ortho.

Just noticed something funny this week, one upper front tooth is longer than the other. I feel like Nanny McPhee :tingrin:

Will take a little while to post pix as I'm in limited internet access via my phone for the 2 weeks.

Mitch11

#5 Post by Mitch11 »

Does anyone else feel like their lips are velcroed to their braces? Sometimes when I'm talking to someone it feels like I have to physically pull my lips away from the braces, especially the uppers,

:tingrin:

Mitch11

#6 Post by Mitch11 »

Had my first adjustment appointment today. Dr says that he can see some movement (I can't tell). The good news is that the schedule hasn't changed - 1 year!

Kept the same wire, trimmed the pokey bits at the end. Got myself some dark blue power chains, but they look lighter once they stretch. He was tempted to put a second elastic over my 2 front teeth but changed his mind (phew). Dr did confirm that I will get the elastic bands later on. Asked him about my long front tooth, he said that the 2 front teeth will both match up - just give it some time. I guess I'm stuck with the Nanny McPhee look for sometime :)

Next appointment in 4 weeks.

So far no extra pain, feeling some pressure, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Angel269

#7 Post by Angel269 »

Great to hear things went well Mitch11.

Do your powerchains run along the full arch?

I have yet to get my powerchains-I am hoping that I will get mine at my appointment in 2 weeks, as things look like they have evened up alot :-)

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Debond date-04/03/13

Mitch11

#8 Post by Mitch11 »

Hi Angel,
I've got brackets on the front 12 teeth on my upper as well as lower (i.e. teeth 1-6 upper & lower left & right). My powerchains run across all these teeth.

Good luck with your upcoming appointment!!

Mitch11

#9 Post by Mitch11 »

Pictures:

3 weeks into my braces (purple power chains)

1st adjustment (blue power chains)

MakeKeyOver

#10 Post by MakeKeyOver »

Looking good Mitch!

NICURN85

#11 Post by NICURN85 »

Hi Mitch,

It looks like everything is coming along so well. Keep us updated!!!
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

Mitch11

#12 Post by Mitch11 »

Thanks guys for the support !!!!

I really wish my two front teeth would hurry and match up with each other. I hope my Dr does not plan on shaving the edge :GapToothed:

Mitch11

#13 Post by Mitch11 »

Lower brackets have been chaffing my lower lip something awful. Have got cuts inside and have now applied wax like it was going out of fashion.

Strange really, I've had the braces on for over a month and it only bothered my lower lip now.

My front teeth still don't match up, but I think that the gap has closed a little.

catgyrl

#14 Post by catgyrl »

Don't worry about your mismatched teeth. Mine didn't match up until the actual debanding. Once, my lig came off, and the wire came out of the slot, pushing my bracket upwards; in turn, pushing my tooth upwards. I REALLY looked like Nanny McPhee then! :lol: I also experienced lots of chafing from the brackets. My hygienist commented the other day that she could see where the brackets "chewed up" my mouth. It's healing very nicely now.

I love that blue color!

Angel269

#15 Post by Angel269 »

Looking good Mitch :-)

I like the purple and the blue!!! I have my second "official" adjustment on Wednesday-I am wondering how many more teeth will be incorporated in my powerchain (I hope more than my two front teeth as I have these horrible gaps apearing as my diastema is starting to close!)

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Debond date-04/03/13