GillyWeed's Adventure with Braces!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gapsbegone

Re: GillyWeed's Adventure with Braces!

#31 Post by gapsbegone »

Lol, my ortho offered me a spring instead but I couldn't stand the thought of food with that!

GillyWeed

#32 Post by GillyWeed »

Hey guys,

So, I had my first adjustment today!!! Yeah...the only thing that changed was my ligs :| I was soo psyched for some new gear; wire ties, powerchain, new wire, something, ANYTHING! But simply got my purple ligs swapped out for some snazzy blue ones and was on my way.

I shouldn't sound so unappreciative. I know the art of orthodontia is a finite craft and we have to put our utmost trust in our doctors (and I really do trust the guy) but I just really wanted some new gear :lol:

Good news however, I get my bottom braces on at my next adjustment on July 30th :-* I'm sooo stoked!!! I've already got my colours picked out and I'm soo ready to be a full and complete metal mouth.

Also, going into todays appointment I was convinced I had done some serious damage to my brain. You see in the prelude to me getting my braces on I had a bunch of x-rays done. 3 Panorex's (the machine that does a 360 around your head) + a bite wing xray on the day of my extraction. At the time I thought nothing of it and it didn't occur to me that 3 xrays in the span of 3 months probably isn't the greatest thing for a persons body but lately I became paranoid with the idea that I had radiation poisoning :o yeah, I started doing research about the effects of dental xrays and lets just say I scared myself s***less. So I brought it up with my Ortho and he definitely eased my woes about the amount of radation that is actually transmitted in modern, digital xrays (not much), like the panorex. He told me I'm fine and no, I will not require an MRI :lol:

So, I think that's it for my 1st adjustment. All went well and I cannot wait to go back. He said there has definitely been some movement with my snaggle tooth canine (I really can't see it) and that I can expect it to come into line with the rest of the gang within the next 2 adjustments. Overall, I am a satisfied patient :thumbsup:

*will post some pics tomorrow!
-Gabrielle

Click here to see my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=41964

NICURN85

#33 Post by NICURN85 »

Hey Gilly!!! Im glad that everything went well. At least you know at your next appointment you really will be getting new gear!! I can't wait to see pics. What color do you have picked out for when you get your bottom braces?!!!
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

Acklay

#34 Post by Acklay »

Glad things are going well for you.

When you get a chance post some pics of the blue ligs. I've been thinking about going with blue but haven't decided yet.

I know what you mean about wanting new stuff. I can't wait to get my bottom brackets on so things can really get underway. Sadly at the last adjustment they said there was about a 50/50 chance of being able to put them on at my next visit.

Have you had any pain since the adjustment? For me after my first one I was sore for a couple of days, but nothing too unbearable.
Braces Installed on 5/3/2012
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 Months+
Click here to read about my experience!

GillyWeed

#35 Post by GillyWeed »

Hey guys,

So here are my pictures as promised. I really haven't been able to see any changes but I'm noticing when flossing that the floss just slips in between certain teeth so things must be happening. I really like this colour now. When I first saw it I thought "Oh dear God, these things are really bright!" But they have grown on me and I think they are perfectly suited to the season (35 degrees Celcius in Toronto today!)

SMILE!

Left side

Right side (that awful yellow tubing is still there! He literally just replaced the ligs, didn't even take the wire out so the ghastly yellow tube will remain with me for the next 6 weeks :yuck: )

Upper arch (sorry it's so dark)

Overbite/Overjet/Misaligned midline

*This may be obvious but I hadn't realized...Doc mentioned that he wouldn't focus on closing my gap for a few months. Right now his focus is on bringing down the snaggly one and getting everything into a straight line which I am totally fine with. The hole in my face was only an issue before I got the braces put on and I just looked like a mad woman with a missing tooth :lol:
-Gabrielle

Click here to see my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=41964

GillyWeed

#36 Post by GillyWeed »

Nicurn85...I'm thinking silver uppers for sure and either black, pink or blue lowers...suuuper excited!
Acklay...Not a touch of pain since the adjustment. I think I just have the mouth of a super hero :banana: haha!
-Gabrielle

Acklay

#37 Post by Acklay »

Oh, you went with light blue. That's what I have right now.

Glad you have no pain. I think both of us are doing quite well in that area.

GillyWeed

#38 Post by GillyWeed »

After 2 days straight of eating Indian food and it not even crossing my mind that I have light blue ligs on I now have a brand new lig colour... Evergreen green :shock:

Ahaha! Of all the colours I've planned on getting, green isn't one of them and I am not too thrilled about having to go through the next month looking like i've just eaten a huge salad but that's what I get :crazy:
-Gabrielle

BetsyBug

#39 Post by BetsyBug »

So sorry about your unfortunate color change!!! I haven't had any changes in colors yet except for some fading. The lilac was really light purple before it was all said and done and the pink faded quite a bit too. I didn't actually choose the maroon/burgundy color that I have right now, my ortho assistant Katie suggested them, and she put on four of them to see if I liked them, promising that if I didn't we could take them off :) They were nice so I went with it.

Your teeth are looking great, I'm positive that you will start to see some changes real soon. I have a couple of stubborn teeth that just don't want to get with the program which is slowing down progress some but I'm patient. But Katie implied that maybe my 18-20 month estimate may be a little longer than that if they don't get moving. Oh well, the braces will be on as long as it takes to get these teeth straightened out.
Elizabeth
Getting top and bottom traditional metal braces and bite turbos
correcting crowding, overbite, and TMJ on 3/6/2012
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

braceface46

#40 Post by braceface46 »

Good for you for getting this done. You are investing in yourself and your future. PS I wish I would have gotten metal top and bottom, I got the clear ones on top and think they look bizarre.

My family thinks i'm nuts too for getting this done. Like you, no one thought I had a problem. But I want my teeth to last a long time and the way mine were overcrowded, tipping, turning and cracking, they would have gotten much worse. Eventually falling out and leaving me toothless.
So I'm excited too. I started taking pictures and documenting the movement in my teeth and am finding that very rewarding. IT makes it worth all the stuff I'm going through.

Congratulations again!! :jump:

GillyWeed

#41 Post by GillyWeed »

Just over a week till I get my bottom braces fitted and I am really looking forward to being fully braced. The last few weeks have been pain free and comfortable but revelation! I can no longer bite my nails:'( I have been a compulsive nail biter for as long as I can remember and I've always wanted to kick the habit but it's tougher than quitting smoking (I reckon considering I've been biting since I was a tiny tot). It's a bitter sweet feeling because it has always been an anxiety coping mechanism but for the first time in my life my hands look really pretty lol! And it's indicative of movement so I'm thrilled:D So for any of you out there with a nail biting habit, getting braces is literally killing two birds with one stone, straight teeth and beautiful healthy nails + apparently nail biting causes crooked teeth (who'da thunk it?!)

Anyways @Betsybug thanks for the compassion. My ligs have settled to a sort of dark looking teal colour now which I don't mind at all. Glad to hear your treatment is coming along well with the exception of your lowers not wanting to move. I know for a lot of us an extended sentence seems like the end of the world but it's awesome to see that you have a great attitude and that you're keeping the final outcome in mind (+ like I always say, braces are like jewellery for your teeth so really you should consider yourself lucky that you'll be able to be jazzed up a little longer;)

@braceface46 thank you for stopping by my story:) I feel so lucky to be able to do this for myself and I think that's why I couldn't be swayed by anyone elses opinion. It's such an expensive undertaking and so many people never have the opportunity, so not only am I appreciative but I am really embracing my braces...I love them and haven't regretted a thing about them yet (tho I do kinda wish it could have all been done without losing a bicuspid but it's all part of the process and I understand that). Congratulations to you for starting this journey yourself. Good for you for not letting anyone influence your decision. You know what is right for you and your health. I wish you the absolute best in your braces adventures. Documenting your journey is such a great thing to do. Seeing those changes just reaffirms why we got these bits of metal (and ceramic) glued to our teeth. All the best and remember, baking soda! It is literally a super cheap teeth whitening product!
-Gabrielle

Acklay

#42 Post by Acklay »

Great to hear you'll be getting your bottom braces soon. I will be getting my bottoms a week from now, on next Tuesday. I don't know about you, but I'm a bit concerned eating will become more difficult. I know having my top braces causes me to use my bottom teeth more to bite into things. Not sure if having bottom braces will much different or not. Anyway, I hope things go well for you.

GillyWeed

#43 Post by GillyWeed »

Acklay, I am totally with you! I didn't realize how much I was overcompensating with my bottom teeth until like a week ago. I think the bottom braces are going to make a huge difference in the way i've *we've* been eating... Nonetheless I am suuper excited :-* And we're getting lower braced a day apart...pretty cool :D

Good luck to us both!!!
-Gabrielle

TMJJill

#44 Post by TMJJill »

Are you still getting your lowers tomorrow? If so, lots of luck.

I got mine on last week. I had an 11 month wait while my upper arch came into place.

I wish you well,
TMJJill

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

GillyWeed

#45 Post by GillyWeed »

Yup! Tomorrow is the day (at 9:00am) and I am really excited. I doubt if i'll get much sleep tonight lol. TMJJill, 11 months with just top braces, that seems like quite a long time. Did you have a severe overbite/deepbite? I hope your lowers haven't been too bad. I've been reading that they tend to cause more discomfort than the uppers because the roots on the bottom incisors are quite a bit shorter... So far I have had a really smooth ride with no pain whatsoever so I am hoping that continues but I guess I'll find out tomorrow :wink:
-Gabrielle