GillyWeed's Adventure with Braces!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

GillyWeed

Re: GillyWeed's Adventure with Braces!

#16 Post by GillyWeed »

Kitsune, thanks for stopping by:) I am soo thankful that my extraction site healed so well and quickly without any pain! I was so paranoid about developing a dry socket I only drank protein shakes for 2 days and just poured it down my throat because I was terrified of creating even the slightest bit of suction in my mouth. Haha! Sorry to hear that you had a dry socket but I'm sure it's well healed by now.
Your clear and grey ligs look lovely by the way;)
-Gabrielle

Click here to see my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=41964

GillyWeed

#17 Post by GillyWeed »

Hey guys,

I thought I'd make a quick update at my 3 week mark though nothing really worth noting has happened. I still haven't had any pain since my braces were put on and honestly I'm kinda bummed about it:( I'm sure that sounds crazy but at least if there was pain I'd know for sure that things were on the move ...

So far everything looks the same and I know, it has only been 3 weeks and patience is a virtue but I can't help but wish things were moving just a teensy bit faster :|

I've been taking photos photos weekly and will post some next week at my 1 month mark. My 1st adjustment is in 19 days and I am really looking forward to hearing what my Ortho thinks of my "progress" so far + NEW LIGS!!! I'm thinking navy or teal...

Well until next time, take care:)

-G
-Gabrielle

Click here to see my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=41964

Acklay

#18 Post by Acklay »

Same here, Gilly, I kinda feel like I'm having it too easy. I have my first adjustment this Tuesday, and I'm hoping I can get the bottom brackets put on. I must say you have good taste in lig colors because blue or teal are the colors I'm trying to choose between also. By the way, what is the best method you have found for taking pictures? I find it quite awkward to try and photograph my mouth.
Braces Installed on 5/3/2012
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 Months+
Click here to read about my experience!

stepher7

#19 Post by stepher7 »

Enjoy being pain free!! The braces are definitely working, don't worry about that part. I remember in the first couple of weeks I felt like they weren't doing anything, but I know that you've looked at my progress pictures already, so clearly you know that they have indeed worked! lol

I think you have a great attitude and outlook about the braces, which is so awesome! I was SOOOO self conscious of my braces for months and it sucked. Now that I've had them for over a year I don't really care as much, but having a positive outlook on the whole thing right from the start will serve you well!

Good luck with being braced, and keep the updates coming!

GillyWeed

#20 Post by GillyWeed »

@Acklay... I have a strong feeling we are going to live to regret taking these easy, painless days for granted. Your 1st adjustment is soo soon! I hope you are able to get your bottom brackets on as well. But if you don't, fret not, I'm sure you'll get them within the next couple of adjustments. I, like you have an overbite and don't fully understand how our bites can be improved with just top braces:s Oh well, I guess you'll be finding out in due time:D. As for taking photos, I wish I had some ingenious strategy to tell you about but honestly all I do is stand in front of my bathroom mirror so I am able to see the image in my screen. And ligs! I think navy and teal or any kind of blue for that matter are great options for guys. Excited for you! I'll be keeping an eye on your story to hear what the doc says!

@stepher7... Thanks for checking out my story;) Even though there has been no discomfort whatsoever I notice when flossing that there is a bit more space between certain teeth so I guess however slight, things are on the move. It's really exciting! I was one of those kids who always wanted braces so I guess I'm kinda living out a childhood fantasy with them on haha! I really like the way they look and hope they don't get old too soon. I know I already mentioned this in your thread but your progress is pretty remarkable and inspiring:)
-Gabrielle

stepher7

#21 Post by stepher7 »

I know the feeling of wanting braces long before getting them. I think most adults with braces know that feeling!

And I also don't understand how braces alone improve an overbite, but somehow they do! Before braces, when I would bite down pretty much none of my bottom teeth would show. Now, you see probably just over half of my bottom teeth when I bite down. I think just everything settling into proper alignment changes your bite. As long as your overbite isn't too deep, braces alone definitely reduce it!

Realizingadream

#22 Post by Realizingadream »

Hi Gilly:

I looked at your photos and I had the same tooth pulled as you did! Just 2 days ago.

Boy the dentist who pulled the tooth was an expert. He said, "Now you'll feel a little pinch" as he gave me the shot to numb the area. ALL the other times the dentist types have said that "little pinch" speech, I have felt GIANT WAVES OF PAIN from the shot, and so I steeled myself for it. NO PAIN? WHAT? I did not even feel the shot. Then he gave me a second shot and that was a bit rougher, but still not as bad as usual. The guy is an expert.

I am very dentist-phobic. I had parked in their parking lot a few minutes early for the appointment, and then drove home. Afraid. They called me and said they could get me in early. I think they were really checking to see if I was coming, or maybe they had seen me drive away. I went back. SCARY.

So now that tooth is gone and I will have braces in a couple of weeks. I hope I look gorgeous pretty soon.

I don't want a dry socket so yesterday I went and bought 2 milkshakes and that was my food for the day. I just gulped them down, like you did. No suction. NO dry socket.

Today was soup.

Real

GillyWeed

#23 Post by GillyWeed »

@Real... Just like my orthodontist said, when a good dentist pulls a tooth, the patient should feel no pain. I, like you was terrified and expecting the worst when I was told "now you'll feel a little pinch" but nothing! I'm so glad your experience has been just as painless and comfortable as mine was. I was expecting to be out of commission for a few days but it was fine--just ugly, but as we know, that is just temporary.
My braces are still very new but so far I've found that a visit to the Orthodontist isn't nearly as intimidating as a visit to the dentist. No plucky tools, no drills, NO SHOTS. So even with a dental phobia I'm sure you'll be a lot more at ease when at the orthodontist (I hope);)
So you only had your top right 1st bicuspid pulled? I'm kind of excited that we have similar cases and I'm really looking forward to reading your story.
How are you feeling now and do you know the day you're getting braced??
-Gabrielle

Realizingadream

#24 Post by Realizingadream »

Hi Gilly.

I was surprised the extraction went as well as it did. Really, really surprised. It was messy (ick) for the rest of the day and I slept a lot, but that was about it. I had a cherry milkshake and a chocolate peanut butter milkshake that I ate with a spoon. I wouldn't normally have one milkshake let alone two, but I was treating myself.

I had my bottom teeth braced in January 2012, and they have moved quite a bit. The orthodontist wasn't sure they were behaving as he wanted them to, so he held off bracing the tops until he was sure. In the past, I took some medicines that might have changed the way my bones remodel, but since the braces are moving the teeth now, I guess the bone issue is okay.

So, at the end of THIS MONTH JUNE he will brace the tops and I will be on my way. I have a big overbite, and my midline is waaay off, and since the extraction I have a big gap, but all of that will be addressed and very soon.

I still haven't figured out how to get a decent picture of my teeth, though.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Real

GillyWeed

#25 Post by GillyWeed »

Hey guys,

So it’s been 4 weeks! I’ve been upper braced for a month and thought I’d throw up some updated photos. Honestly, I don’t think anything significant has changed but I LOVE my braces and I am looking forward to having super straight teeth :BigGrin:

SMILE!

Left side

Right side (that yellow thing used to be clear *thank God I didn't go for the clear braces* and it's just there to protect the inside of my cheek from getting shredded by that exposed bit of wire)

Upper Arch

Overbite/Overjet/Misaligned midline

So, here they are in all their glory. I have 2 weeks until my first adjustment and I cannot wait! Till then take care;)

-G
-Gabrielle

GillyWeed

#26 Post by GillyWeed »

@Real...That's exciting that you'll be getting your uppers this month and again i'm thrilled that your extraction is healing so well:) Do you have a story up here? I'd love to read it:)
-Gabrielle

kellyb

#27 Post by kellyb »

Hi there, just realise i haven't posted here before. Your teeth are going to look great when they are done. Looking forward to seeing more progress pics.

All the best with your journey :)

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

NICURN85

#28 Post by NICURN85 »

I am loving the purple!!! I think that will be my first color when I begin my journey in about a month. I had a tooth extracted yesterday and I got to get my records/impressions done on the 26th of this month. Im excited/nervous. Keep us posted on the rest of your journey!!!
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

gapsbegone

#29 Post by gapsbegone »

Haha yup, my tubing is bright yellow too. Good to see I'm not the only one!

GillyWeed

#30 Post by GillyWeed »

Thanks kellyb!
And NICURN85, the purple ligs have held up soo well against staining these past 4 weeks and trust me, I've been eating everything stain causing; soda, curry, tomato sauces...the works! Plus, they're super cute! I hope your extraction site is healing well;) Keep us updated!
gapsbegone, LOL! I think I'd actually prefer the giant hole in my smile to the bright yellow tubing. But I guess it's doing its job so I really shouldn't complain :lol:
-Gabrielle