Acklay's Experience with Braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Acklay

Acklay's Experience with Braces

#1 Post by Acklay »

I introduced myself briefly in the other forum section a few days ago. This section of the forums, though, seems more appropriate for posting semi-regular updates to my saga with braces.

To begin, I am 20 years old, from the Midwestern United States. Dentists have told me for several years that I could benefit from braces, but as things worked out I never had them. I can't say I was upset about that fact - my teeth never really bothered me and I never felt my teeth really looked bad, so I had no motivation to want braces.

A couple of months back, though, I realized how crooked a couple of my teeth are, and it started bothering me. I have gotten used to it over time, but my first premolar on the right side of my mouth sort of lays against my tongue and lately it has really started annoying me. I resolved to speak to my dentist about it at my next cleaning appointment as it was only a few weeks away. I still didn't think I would end up in braces, though the thought was in the back of my mind. I sort of hoped he would tell me that it would be no problem to straighten it up, and that it would require a 5 minute procedure with no pain. I was wrong! When I asked him what could be done to straighten my tooth, he looked at me and said, "You're not going to like what I'm going to tell you." At that point i knew he was going to say "braces".

He referred me to an orthodontist, and I made an appointment for a consultation. It was slightly unsettling when the first thing the orthodontist said was, "so you're here to see about getting braces?" I replied that I was there to see about getting a couple of teeth on the right side of my mouth straightened up, and she began looking at my teeth. As it turns out there were more issues than I had thought. She pointed out a few issues with crowding, with alignment, and the one that surprised me, my overbite. Somehow the dentists I had been to had never mentioned that I have overbite, and I didn't know my top teeth weren't supposed to overlap the bottom ones, I thought everyone's did that! Anyway, after the consultation, my orthodontist told me that the issues I have can be fixed and it will require 24 months+ with braces.

After considering what she told me about my teeth and the potential problems the overbite can cause, I decided to go through with braces. First, though, I had to make an appointment to get separators. I had spoke to a few people I know who have had braces, and I spoke to a couple of teenagers I know who have braces, and I was told the spacers really aren't a big deal - that it just feels a bit uncomfortable for a day or two, and that there really isn't any pain. They were wrong. When I went in for the spacer appointment, I wasn't expecting anything too terrible, and for the most part it was uneventful. The problem was, a couple of my molars are very close together, and the lady working on my teeth almost couldn't get the rubber spacer in. She finally did after quite a bit of discomfort on my part, and they recommended as I was leaving to take some ibuprofen as pain would set in a few hours later. I took their advice and the rest of my day went smoothly. I could feel a little bit of pressure, but no pain, and I even ate a couple of meals that required a lot of chewing.

That night, though, I woke up at 3:00 with my jaws throbbing and my head aching. There was the pain they had mentioned! I stumbled through the house looking for my ibuprofen, and about 40 minutes after taking some I finally fell asleep. I didn't really feel any more pain that night or when I first got up, but when I decided to try and eat something, I got an unpleasant surprise. I began making an egg and cheese omelette, when I picked up a couple of pieces of the shredded cheddar cheese I was using. I tried to eat that bit of cheese and the pain was excruciating when I tried to chew it. So much for breakfast! I ended up eating some yogurt and taking more ibuprofen. Later that day I went to the store and stocked up on yogurt! At this point I was wondering how I would survive the nine days I would have spacers!

The next day the pain wasn't as intense, and I was even able to eat some food that required limited chewing. As days have continued to go by, I have gotten used to the spacers and barely notice them. I still have to be a bit careful of what foods I choose, but I can eat anything within reason. I get my braces put on this Thursday, and I am somewhat looking forward to the visit. I am nervous of course, but in my mind I want nothing more than to get these separators out of my mouth and get on with my treatment. Sitting here and thinking about getting braces is doing me no good, I just want to get it over with!

I'm sure it will be different seeing my teeth covered in metal, but I know I will be glad in the long run that I went through with this. This week I get the top brackets on, and about a month later my orthodontist said I would get the bottom brackets. Nothing more I can do now other than keep reading all I can about braces. I'm really appreciating this website and the information I'm getting. I've spent several hours reading the posts on here and the stories of others who have gotten braces. I fell less anxious about my appointment Thursday because I feel like I kind of know what to expect. I sure hope everything goes smoothly!

Below are some pictures of what my teeth look like now. Hopefully they will look a lot better in the months to come!

Braces Installed on 5/3/2012
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 Months+
Click here to read about my experience!

AM21

Re: Acklay's Experience with Braces

#2 Post by AM21 »

Welcome to the board!!

Everything should go smoothly, just make sure to take some ibuprofen before you go to the ortho. You may feel some discomfort after a few hours.

Good luck on Thursday! :)
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

Acklay

#3 Post by Acklay »

Tomorrow is the big day! I got a call this morning informing me that one of my orthodontist's patients cancelled their appointment for tomorrow morning, so I was offered the option to come in sooner to have my braces put on. I agreed, so tomorrow morning at 8:00 things will start getting interesting. They say the appointment will take around two hours, and I can't decide if I'm looking forward to it or not. I am quite apprehensive about tomorrow, so I don't expect to get much sleep tonight. On the bright side, it will be quite nice to get these separators out from between my teeth. While they no longer hurt, they are still quite an annoyance.

Hopefully I won't be in too much pain by tomorrow night, I got invited to go to the movies with a group of friends. I guess I'll go if I'm feeling up to it by the end of the day. It will be quite sad, though, to be at the movies and miss out on all that food! (popcorn, candy, anything that requires chewing...)

klhnz

#4 Post by klhnz »

Good luck for tomorrow. I had bottom braces put on yesterday and still in the" ÓMG what have I done?"stage. I'm very sore and my insides of my cheeks are aching and red from the braces rubbing up against it. As I keep telling myself... this will be all worth it in the end!! All the best

maeby

#5 Post by maeby »

Best of luck tomorrow! Congratulations on starting your journey! :D
Read My Braces Story: "Maeby Getting Braces"

Top Arch Braced: April 18, 2012
Bottom Arch: October 9, 2012

Acklay

#6 Post by Acklay »

I guess you could say that I'm now 'archwired'! My braces were installed this morning.

I showed up at the orthodontist's office at 7:45 this morning - 15 minutes before my appointment. The receptionist welcomed me by name and gave me a couple of papers to sign. (as if I hadn't signed enough papers already) When they called me back, I was led to a room where the x-rays are taken. I stood at this x-ray machine which goes in a circle around my head. They took two x-rays then I was led to the room where the work on my teeth would actually take place. The first thing they did upon my arriving there was to take molds of my teeth. That was one of the more difficult parts for me as I have a very strong gag reflex, and having a mouth full of that material was almost more than I could take. Fortunately the molds do not take long to set up and I made it through without choking to death.

The next step was to fit me with molar bands. I can't say that I enjoyed this process as she tried different size bands to get the right fit, and biting down on that stick to get the bands in place was unpleasant if not painful. It just didn't feel right after finally getting the spacers out to put something else between my teeth! Once the bands were in place, she then attached the brackets and the wire to my top teeth. I won't be getting the bottom brackets until my bite gets a bit better, but the top are more than enough to get used to for now.

In all the visit wasn't too bad, it just took a lot of time - I was there for 2 hours. They told me to enjoy my lunch because pain would most likely set in tonight or in the morning. I haven't had any significant pain as of yet, but I did take a couple of ibuprofen this evening when I felt a headache coming on. I'll see by morning if my teeth are aching or not. The only discomfort I really have is where the brackets and the bands are rubbing against my mouth and tongue. I am trying to apply as little wax as possible in order to quicken the toughening of my mouth, but I finally did break down and apply a couple of small pieces of wax where my tongue was being sawed in half. (or so it felt like)

I had a huge supper tonight consisting of shrimp, meatloaf, green beans, corn (cut off the cob), asparagus, macaroni & cheese, and strawberry shortcake for dessert. If I'm not going to feel like eating for a few days, I might as well make my last meal memorable! It was a bit difficult getting my braces clean after eating (the asparagus got wrapped around the part of my band where elastics will eventually be placed) but I figured it out.

I'm sure it will be interesting tonight going through my brushing/flossing routine, but I guess I'll see how it goes. One day down, only 1 year and 364 days to go!

CleoAZ

#7 Post by CleoAZ »

Congrats on getting them on, and hopefully you aren't in too much discomfort today. Love your "last supper" description - it just seems like so much effort to clean the braces. So after a week in them I am happy to subsist on soup, yogurt and wine instead of real food :HugeGrin:

Good luck!

Acklay

#8 Post by Acklay »

Just a quick update:

The pain for the first few days of having braces wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. There was some soreness of course, but it didn't stop my from eating anything I wanted to eat. (thought it did slow me down some) Most of the pain I experienced was from the molar bands rubbing against my cheek. I used wax when it felt the worst and now I hardly feel any pain at all. I think finally my mouth has toughened up some.

Brushing and flossing is a challenge, but I try to do the best I can.

It has been fun to see the reactions of people I know. I am not at all bothered by the way I look in braces, so when I'm around people I know, I don't hold back at all from showing a full-toothed smile. I find it funny that some of my friends actually didn't even realize I'm wearing braces!

I have my next appointment on June 5. While it is still a few weeks away, I'm already trying to decide what colors to get. I went with black when they installed my braces because I wanted to start with something fairly neutral. I'm ready for something a bit more bold now. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

NICURN85

#9 Post by NICURN85 »

Congrats on starting your journey. I will be starting mine soon and pretty excited about it!! For colors maybe a shade of blue or red.
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

AM21

#10 Post by AM21 »

Congrats on getting braces! :D You could try purple or pink. Maybe even alternate the colors.
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

GillyWeed

#11 Post by GillyWeed »

Hey!

So you're almost a week in, how are you feeling now? I get braced this coming Wednesday and I'd love to know how you coped this week.
And pictures! When can we see your new grill??

-G
-Gabrielle

Click here to see my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=41964

Acklay

#12 Post by Acklay »

GillyWeed wrote:Hey!

So you're almost a week in, how are you feeling now? I get braced this coming Wednesday and I'd love to know how you coped this week.
And pictures! When can we see your new grill??

-G

I'm actually feeling fine now, the only pain I have is a bit of soreness in my front teeth when I bite into something. The first few days were a challenge, though. It wasn't so much that my teeth hurt, but the molar bands poked and rubbed against my cheek and caused some sores. These sores made it difficult to eat and to talk. I used wax when my mouth felt the worst, and it didn't take long for my mouth to toughen up. The sores have now completely healed, and I there is no more pain. I think the thing I had the most trouble getting used to was the positioning of my molars with the bands between them - they felt like they were under pressure when I would try to chew anything. I have gotten used to that as well and eating isn't nearly as difficult as it was.

Brushing and flossing is a pain, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I'm using floss threaders for now, but I think with some practice I'll be able to get the floss through without them.

Hope everything goes well for you this Wednesday, Gilly!

Also, I'll attach a picture of my top braces. I don't have the bottom brackets on yet, just molar bands down there. I will likely be getting the bottom brackets at my next appointment in early June.

Acklay

#13 Post by Acklay »

It's been awhile since I've posted an update. Not a lot to report actually. I feel absolutely no pain now, and I've been eating everything - I think I've completely covered the list of foods that i'm supposed to avoid. I'm also no longer having difficulty with food getting stuck in the braces due to the fact I've learned to suck pieces of food out of them. I'm also happy to report I've been able to get back into a normal flossing routine due to threader floss.

I've been told to expect some pain on June 5 when I go for my first adjustment, but I'm optimistic. I just hope things go as smoothly as they are going now!

GillyWeed

#14 Post by GillyWeed »

Acklay, sounds like things are going great! I second everything you said. I have been eating everything I'm not supposed to, threader floss has been a God send and I don't have an ounce of pain! And LOL at the tongue-sucking-fishing of food out of your brackets, I do the same thing and it's surprisingly effective. :mrgreen:
Have you noticed any movement yet? I know I haven't...
-Gabrielle

Click here to see my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=41964

Acklay

#15 Post by Acklay »

GillyWeed wrote:Acklay, sounds like things are going great! I second everything you said. I have been eating everything I'm not supposed to, threader floss has been a God send and I don't have an ounce of pain! And LOL at the tongue-sucking-fishing of food out of your brackets, I do the same thing and it's surprisingly effective. :mrgreen:
Have you noticed any movement yet? I know I haven't...
No visible changes yet unfortunately, though I can tell in my mouth that a couple of my front teeth are very slightly loose. I can't feel it with my finger, but I can with my tongue. I honestly haven't expected to see anything noticeable this early in. I have a feeling after my first adjustment things will really get underway. So far I haven't noticed much pressure at all on my teeth, so I assume on my next visit they'll start cranking down on them. (I just picture the orthodontist coming in with a ratchet or something ready to start tightening *cringe*)

By the way, glad to hear things are still going well for you!