New To Braces At Nearly 24

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ShikabaneHime13

New To Braces At Nearly 24

#1 Post by ShikabaneHime13 »

Hi!
So I'm 23 (going on 24 this August) and back in the beginning of April I had a consultation with an orthodontist here in DC known as Dr. Contract. During the visit he did the examination and discussed my orthodontic needs, recommending a full set of braces for me. After having expressed concerns about paying for the orthodontic work (I am a young adult with special needs and on disability), he informed me that since I am on DC Medicaid, I might be eligible for full coverage if the insurance approved. So, 3 days later I am back to the office to have the records taken for evaluation (It was fun to have the strawberry-flavored putty, I admit) and then I am informed that the evaluation process with Medicaid can take between 6-8 weeks and that the office will notify me of the decision once they know.

So after many weeks of practically praying to the higher powers that my coverage will be approved and driving my mother crazy, we just got a call from Dr. Contract last Thursday informing us that my braces will be fully covered ($4,850 that gets to stay in my mom's pocket :-D ) and that he'd like to discuss treatment with my mother the upcoming Wednesday (I'm not sure if he forgot that I am an adult or if he feels that it would be more appropriate to include my mother in the explanation of my treatment given the fact that I do have special needs).

Anywho, I will be accompanying my mother to the office this Wednesday (which can't seem to get here fast enough) so that I may hear firsthand what my treatment will entail, take notes and ask some necessary questions to address any concerns that I might have. Honestly, as excited as I am at the thought of getting braces, it has now actually hit me and I'm almost fearful at the same time...

NICURN85

Re: New To Braces At Nearly 24

#2 Post by NICURN85 »

Good luck tomorrow. It has to be a great relief knowing you have FULL COVERAGE. Let us know how it goes. I start everything at the end of June. am excited. I am 26 going on 27. My sentence is 24-30 months. Its exciting to know I will have them off for my 30th birthday :D. Im looking forward to hearing what they tell you tomorrow.
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

ShikabaneHime13

#3 Post by ShikabaneHime13 »

UPDATE:

Hi hi! So today I went to the orthodontist's office and he outlined my treatment. I will be wearing a full set of traditional metal braces on my uppers and lowers for the next 2 years. I had asked him about the possibility of having Wildsmiles brackets (heart-shaped) on my front teeth (If I have to have them, why not make the experience that much more exciting, eh?) but he said that for a practice that doesn't readily supply them, it would in a nutshell be more hassle than it's worth for one patient. So while I was only slightly disappointed that I won't be able to have a jazzy metal smile, I took comfort in the fact that I can still personalize with colored ligs.

So my braces fitting is being broken down into two visits. The first will be next Wednesday in the morning. I will have the brackets placed upon my front teeth (uppers and lowers) along with spacers fitted onto my molars. The second visit, Thursday the 31st, will consist of removing the spacers and applying the last set of brackets to the back teeth and the placing of the wires.

My only concern now is that my mouth doesn't hurt too too bad, because on Saturday the 2nd, I have a ballet recital. Here's to hoping it won't interfere with my dancing =^.^=
Hi Hi! Feel free to follow my blog:Image

NICURN85

#4 Post by NICURN85 »

Hopefully it will not interfere. I would say take some pain reliever like Ibprofen or Aleve the night before and then a couple of hours before your recital and hopefully that will help out. They are going to be doing mine in 4 phases and I made sure for the last two phases Im off work for at least two days bc I talk to parents a lot and I know thwarting first few days will be crucial. I am glad that I know my work schedule in advance so I could set it up that way.
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578