Hi - new here

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jerseygirl

Hi - new here

#1 Post by Jerseygirl »

Hi - I am new on here. I've been debating about getting braces for a few years now. Just kept chickening out. And in the meantime I've broken tooth teeth and had both extracted (four years apart) because my bite is so bad, and I only make contact on a few teeth. So those teeth are getting traumatized and cracks form. I've had fractures in 2 teeth now. First tooth they did a root canal which did not work - pain continued so tooth was removed - pain gone!

Four years later - and I recently had same problem. Visited an Endodontist who said the break was not fixable - so the tooth was removed.

Because the first extraction was done 4 years ago - I am not longer a candidate for a dental implant due to bone loss - well I could get an implant but it woudl require a bone graph. Yikes. So the only solution is a bridge which is quite pricey. The other tooth was removed almost 2 months ago - the area has healed very well. I was about to get an implant next month - but my dentist is once again urging me to reconsider braces. I also have TMJ - but the pain from that comes and goes and I am use to it.

So here I am - trying to decide what to do and whether to take the plunge. I have visited a few orthos in the past and found one I really like. He uses Invu brackets and has a lot of adult patients. And my dentist recommends him - so that i likely who I will use. It's just getting up my nerve to do it.
I know I will be braced for 18-24 months. I am 46.

Thanks for listening - any feedback is greatly appreciated.

NICURN85

Re: Hi - new here

#2 Post by NICURN85 »

Hi there and WELCOME!!

I have a similar case to you because I have 2 molars missing. I can tell you my ortho is going to close my gaps using braces which will save me about $5000 or more for having to get a bridge or implant done. I would say go for the braces to save some money!! I was super excited to hear the gaps could be closed with braces.
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

CleoAZ

#3 Post by CleoAZ »

Jerseygirl - your decision for going with braces sounds similar to mine. I have 2 teeth extracted many years ago because I didn't have the funds for root canals at the time. They were molars towards the back of my uppers, and I just lived with them being missing. When I started looking into repair / replacement options, I decided to go with braces instead of 2 bridges or implants. To be honest, implants scare me to death, and the though of filing down 4 healthy teeth just to put in 2 bridges didn't seem ideal either. My ortho assured me that he can pull my teeth together and close the gaps left by my extractions with no problems, so that is what I am doing. Good luck on your journey!

Jerseygirl

#4 Post by Jerseygirl »

Hi and thanks for the welcome! In my case - filling gaps is not an option. I guess each case is different. I'm fine with getting one implant on one side of my mouth - I know many people who have had big success with that. It's also a huge gap - I think it would take a LONG time to fill it in and I think he's concerned with what tooth is above it if that makes sense. Maybe it has to do with teeth I had removed as a kid and how teeth meet together - he wants the one that was pulled replaced - with an implant.

Anyway - my journey began today - and I'm thrilled! :)

Ceramic uppers and metal lowers
Estimated treatment time: 12-14 months

NICURN85

#5 Post by NICURN85 »

How are you feeling?! Are you in any pain yet?
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

Jerseygirl

#6 Post by Jerseygirl »

I"m hanging in there thanks! I feel pressure - one or two teeth are tender if I bite down on them when eating. Eating is a challenge but I expected that. I have one tender area from rubbing on my gum - so I used wax. But otherwise I'm doing just fine!! All was to be expected.
I know there will be some discomfort with all this - can't move teeth without that! :)

Ceramic uppers and metal lowers
Estimated treatment time: 12-14 months