Maeby Getting Braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fyrelight

Re: Maeby Getting Braces

#16 Post by fyrelight »

Glad you found a good ortho... makes all the difference. I too was lucky enough to find an ortho that would let me keep my teeth and was willing to see if my impacted canines would come in...at the age of 27 at the time. Everything worked well.. canines came in with the gold chain traction without any problems. Good luck!
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

maeby

#17 Post by maeby »

Spacers Update! I'll try to include enough detail to be helpful without boring you to death. :D

The insertion process: I had the spacers put in on Monday, about 3.5 days ago at this point. For me, there are four of them, all in the top arch since that's the first to be braced. The assistant tried to get the rubber ones in first (they look like tiny blue rubber bands) with some sort of metal device. Almost immediately she called the orthodontist over to do it, because she couldn't get the spacer to go in. He tried with the metal device first, then he tried using floss, and the floss snapped immediately! At this point, they realized they would have to use metal spacers. I was told that these are easier to get between the teeth but they don't create quite as much space. Sure enough, they went in with almost no problem. The whole process, including the attempts to insert the rubber spacers, took about five minutes and didn't hurt at all. There was just a feeling of pressure.

The next few hours:The assistant told me that day two would be the most painful and to take whatever medicine I'd normally take for a headache and to eat softer foods. After I left, I spent the next few hours being constantly aware that there was something new in my mouth. The metal spacers move around more than I was expecting, but not a lot.

Food!: I didn't have much food at home, and my husband I had to think pretty hard about what to eat. We wound up going to IHOP and eating pancakes for dinner, with scrambled eggs, bacon, and hash browns on the side. I was fine until I tried to eat the bacon. It didn't hurt to chew, exactly, but I couldn't chew it properly, so it was abandoned. The next day I tried to eat a steamed green bean and that didn't work either. The best things have been: pancakes, lasagna, soft tacos, smoothies, soup, and french fries. It hasn't hurt at all to eat, but you can tell immediately when you bite into something that you shouldn't have. The act of chewing does increase the feeling of pressure on your teeth, which becomes uncomfortable toward the end of the meal. You probably won't feel like going back for a second helping.

How it feels overall: After hearing the assistant's advice, I immediately went home and took some ibuprofen. I had a busy couple of days of work ahead and didn't want to take chances. While flossing that night, I noticed that the teeth right next to ones with spacers were much more difficult to floss than usual. On day two, I woke up without any pain, just that ever-present feeling of pressure. I packed some medicine in my bag, but never had to take any. It wasn't until flossing the next night (day three) that I experienced any pain. Once again, it was flossing the teeth that were next to the ones with spacers that hurt. It still hurt after I finished flossing, so I gave in and took some medicine. Today, it's just back to the regular old feeling of pressure. It's irritating, but not terrible. That said, I'm very glad that I didn't have to get spacers in my upper and lower teeth, because that may have taken the feeling from irritating to painful.

The thing is, the insertion process went so fast that I didn't get a chance to ask what they are for! I know what they are for in general, but not in my case. Oh, well! :roll:

And one final note! My brace day got moved back, but only by two days. Now it's April 18. I have a birthday party to go to that day for a very close friend, and I'm hoping I'm up for it.
Read My Braces Story: "Maeby Getting Braces"

Top Arch Braced: April 18, 2012
Bottom Arch: October 9, 2012

deeley

#18 Post by deeley »

Hi just read through your story so far...big day today, so wanted to wish you all the very best. :jump:

Porge

#19 Post by Porge »

Goodluck today maeby :) I hope all goes well. I'm a couple of weeks behind you (brace day May 2) so will be interested in your experience.

maeby

#20 Post by maeby »

Thanks, you guys!

Today was the day! I went in at 9:00am and was out of the office just after 10:00. They started by taking my spacers out (relief!) and testing some different molar band sizes. I did not enjoy biting on the stick ("one more time," she kept saying) to press the bands into place, but that was the only hard part and it was over fast enough. Then the orthodontist himself came over and "glued" in the molar bands, rinsed and dried the teeth, applied the etchant, and applied the glue and brackets. That part went by quickly as well. The conversations happening over me were much more memorable than the bracing. :)

I ended up with three molar bands, since one spacer didn't do its job well enough (that one's still in, actually). The fourth band will go in at the next appointment. I was afraid they would hurt, or be uncomfortable, but they are a relief compared to the spacers. I also have, not one, but two springs. Both are there to make room for my canines (woo-hoo!). The assistant kept telling me, "remember, he's the one who made me put these in" (meaning, the ortho). She was mostly kidding, but I know they'll probably be a pain.

Speaking of pain, I haven't had any yet, but I know tomorrow I'll probably feel like I've been punched in the face. Fortunately, I just have to deal with the top arch now.

At the end of the banding process, the assistant showed me the container of ligatures and said, "I'm guessing you'll want the smoke-colored ones, since they won't be as noticeable with your ceramics." I sheepishly asked for the light blue ones and she got a relieved look on her face and said "Oh, I can tell you're going to be fun!" Ha! Then she gave me my goody bag. It contained:

toothpaste
a toothbrush
wax
fluoride wash
floss
floss threaders
ortho bucks (for prizes! I have my eye on movie tickets)
a pen and other miscellaneous

I'll update more when I start noticing some movement (and/or soreness). And I'll add pictures soon!

badbites

#21 Post by badbites »

Good luck with your journey.:)

I had my wire installed today as well (brackets were two days ago).;)

maeby

#22 Post by maeby »

Photos! You can see the springs on either side, and I'm really hoping to see some progress with those soon. I'm not sure what is reasonable to expect, though. The length of my term is dependent on those springs, and then on the effectiveness of the canine exposure surgery.

Front (smiling way bigger than I ever have):

Left Side:

Right side:

Arch:

I sized all of the photos to be 190 pixels wide, and this is the result. Go figure. :?

NickelNikki

#23 Post by NickelNikki »

Your teeth are looking fantastic! So much progress is going to be coming your way, I can see it now. And you already have a beautiful smile :mrgreen:

(Edited because I miss out half my sentences!)

I had Inman Aligners on both my top and bottom teeth.

View my progress here: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=41962

maeby

#24 Post by maeby »

Thanks, NickelNikki!

A day and a half in, and I still haven't experienced any pain or soreness. My front teeth are a bit wiggly (and I would almost swear that left spring has created more space), but that's about it. If I clamp down my teeth, they do hurt, but that's easy to avoid. The braces aren't scraping the insides of my mouth too badly either, but I'm still prepared to make some salt rinses. My spacers didn't hurt until day three, so there's still time! :o

I meant to mention earlier that I am able to eat so much more easily with braces than with spacers, but I still have to keep to softer foods. Also, the assistant told me that she encourages patients to chew sugarless gum to get the molars moving. She said that when you mostly eat soft foods, it can take a little longer for the molars to get with the game plan. I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will. I've also been shredding my floss like crazy and definitely need to find something that's a little better quality (or maybe a LOT better!). :D

maeby

#25 Post by maeby »

Today, I have constantly felt pressure in my sinuses and a tickle in my nose like I have to sneeze. Have any of you experienced this after getting your braces? :?:

It's such an odd feeling!

maeby

#26 Post by maeby »

Hi everyone!

I brought out the better camera this weekend to take some less blurry pictures. Man is it hard to take photo of my mouth!

elseegee64

#27 Post by elseegee64 »

Isn't it so hard to take pictures of the mouth! I'm always messing those up!! Great job on your pics and thanks for sharing!

kitsune

#28 Post by kitsune »

Maeby,

You look lovely and your teeth are a great color! It is so nice to see another lady on here with ceramic brackets and colored ligatures!! Seriously, I am very happy! :D

How do you feel about your springs? I had one and I thought it was the worst...Don't even get me started on eating spinach with a spring!

EbonyQ

#29 Post by EbonyQ »

They look great! Good luck! :thumbsup: :D :D

Yes, how does the springs feel? I might need one for my canine, was supposed to get it this time but he either changed his mind or forgot (and I did not want to remind him 8) :lol: ).

[/url]

NICURN85

#30 Post by NICURN85 »

Good luck on your journey. Its nice reading your story to see what I have to look foward to.
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578