Hello All

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

staceyraver

Hello All

#1 Post by staceyraver »

My name is Stacey, I'm 23 and I'm finally taking the plunge to get braces. I stumbled across this website and it's been so helpful so far...I have so many questions! Anyway my situation so far is that I have some overcrowding on my uppers and a baby molar that hasnt budged on my lowers that has shifted the midline around....oh and i've got some impacted wisdom teeth that need to come out too. Today I went for my first meeting with my orthodontic consultant at the hospital, and i've got to go back in about a month to get photos and impressions done. I'm so excited! Oh and I think i've been really lucky because I asked the consultant for a rough idea of a price...and he said because I'm getting my treatment done at the hospital it should be free! Gotta love the NHS! :) anyway, i'll be hovering around these boards a lot i think, come say hi...i dont bite :P

klobird

Re: Hello All

#2 Post by klobird »

Welcome Stacey!--We have all been in the same boat with all the questions! I have also found that if you use the "search" feature for whatever you are question is, that you are able to find a lot of answers there too...

No matter what--someone will be here to help out--it really is a great website!

wildpig

#3 Post by wildpig »

glad to have you on board ;)....

I am actually kinda jealous of UK. We dont have anything like NHS free ortho for teens and I wish we do because a lot of people's parents here can't afford the cost and problems just get postponed and worsened over time.

Anyway, enough with my ranting... welcome ;)

scully

#4 Post by scully »

Welcome, and lucky you on the free treatment!
Mine's costing me about $3500, which I've learned is the low end here on this side of the pond.

I'm 23 as well, and had my apprehensions about having braces at my age. Having a sweet, innocent baby face to begin with will do that to you. Getting carded...

...for R-rated movies makes me not such a happy camper!

However, I have actually grown somewhat fond of my braces, and I think they are pretty, now.

You should do fine! You seem to be a nice person... and once your braces are on, your teeth will be too sore for you to bite!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

Mulder: Did you bring enough ice cream to share with the rest of the class?
Scully: It's not ice cream... it's non-fat tofutti rice dreamsicle.
Mulder: Ugh... I bet the air in my mouth tastes better than that.

kellyb

#5 Post by kellyb »

hi stacey :jump:
welcome! and wishing you all the best with the journey. i am also in the UK but unfortunately i can't get mine free lol. Costing me a whopping £3700. looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

staceyraver

#6 Post by staceyraver »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Not entirely sure why i'm getting them for free...I was expecting them to cost a fortune. Either way I'm just excited to be taking steps to get it sorted...I haven't smiled in so long!

staceyraver

#7 Post by staceyraver »

so my appointment for records and impressions is on may 10th....after my exams which is a good thing. However I'm really eager to get the ball rolling so i'm actually considering phoning them up to see if they can get me in sooner! eeek excited and a little scared.

staceyraver

#8 Post by staceyraver »

[quote="staceyraver"]so my appointment for records and impressions is on may 10th....after my exams which is a good thing. However I'm really eager to get the ball rolling so i'm actually considering phoning them up to see if they can get me in sooner! eeek excited and a little scared.[/quote]

unfortunately i couldnt get my date moved forward. Never mind though! I guess i'll just have to learn the art of patience :)

marybee

#9 Post by marybee »

Welcome!

The time will fly by and before you know it, you will be just like the rest of us! :tingrin:

staceyraver

#10 Post by staceyraver »

eeek, photos and impressions tomorrow! nervous!

How long does it usually take to get braced after that appointment?

BellaBraces

#11 Post by BellaBraces »

Good luck!

I don't know how long it will take to get braced; I'm doing it privately and have 6 month smiles so my experience is probably irrelevant. However, for what it is worth, the soonest I could have got braced was 2 weeks after impressions (in fact it took a bit longer because I clashed with Easter, and Easter won)

jem

#12 Post by jem »

Stacey,

I think the length of time between your records appointment and being braced depends almost entirely on the availability of appointments. I was about 4 weeks but that included the Christmas period and I did not want my brace put on before Christmas.

If your treatment is being funded by the NHS, there may be a little more delay, but the chances are that if you have not had much delay in being seen so far,there should be no great delay in starting treatment. I imagine speed of NHS treatment varies considerably depending on where you are in the UK.

Good luck with your treatment!

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

staceyraver

#13 Post by staceyraver »

Thanks for the replies all, i shall let you all know how i get on tomorrow :) hopefully wont be long until i get them on now....although i'm a bit apprehensive too as i'm going on the olympic torch relay soon!!! eek!

NICURN85

#14 Post by NICURN85 »

Good Luck tomorrow Stacey!! Let us know how everything goes!!
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

staceyraver

#15 Post by staceyraver »

woop after having my impressions done, having photos and another x-ray taken i think i'm finally on countdown. I asked quite a few questions and it seems my next appointment will either be getting braced or having teeth out or something! lol

Roll on July 5th!