How often do you interact with your orthodontist?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pearlies

How often do you interact with your orthodontist?

#1 Post by pearlies »

There seems to be a range in how often people get direct service from their orthodontists. With InvisiAlign, check-ups are typically less often than people with traditional braces. However, is the orthodontist supposed to be doing the actual work of putting the attachments on as well as examining the results during visits with InvisiAlign. Do any of you have the orthodontists' assistants handling these tasks and the orthodontist just coming by if there is an apparent problem or if you have a question?

45wantsnicesmile

Re: How often do you interact with your orthodontist?

#2 Post by 45wantsnicesmile »

I see my othodontist every 8 weeks. The assistant does most of the work and put on my attachments, but the orthodontist always takes a look.

jacjac

#3 Post by jacjac »

I just started treatment and my ortho did the whole thing with a little bit of help from the dental nurse. I dont know if this is the norm though or if he just wants to.

pearlies

#4 Post by pearlies »

Great info - would any of you others mind contributing. I have a feeling many of you get treated directly and fully by your orthodontists but I'm not sure this is the norm anymore and maybe in bigger metros, the duties fall more so to the assistants? Appreciate your input!

gramma2xander

#5 Post by gramma2xander »

I go every 4 weeks,I always see the ortho.She looks to see how things are going and decides what she wants to do. Then tells the assistent, who puts everything back in.If the assistent has a problem the ortho comes back and helps.

Bracer215

#6 Post by Bracer215 »

Ortho looks and see what needs to be done and tells assistants what to do.

DrJasonKTam

#7 Post by DrJasonKTam »

My hygienists place and remove attachments. They have placed thousands of attachments each, with me checking them to make sure they are the right shape, size, and fit. I can assure you that they have placed more than I have in my life and are far more experienced at it than many doctors around (including myself!).

They also see the patients before me, looking for a number of things I have asked them to look for. I come to the chair to see the patient at each visit and verify that things are moving properly, anticipate possible issues, let the patient know how the progress is going, and answer any questions.

I also do any IPR required.

The amount of interaction will vary at each office and the important part is to make sure that treatment is moving as it is supposed to. I have spent a lot of time training my staff and developing systems to make sure our patients are taken care of properly. A doctor who does less Invisalign may not find it worthwhile training staff for a few patients, or may not be experienced enough to train staff to do what is required.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

MIKE82

#8 Post by MIKE82 »

I got my lower attachments put on, then had a break for eight weeks for my top. In between I paid my bill in full.

came back eight weeks later, he put my top attachments on, and said see you in 20 weeks when your done :roll:

Like printing money for the dentists!

Am over the moon how there progressing though on tray 6 now and the difference is massive. Can see both sides of a tooth that was hidden away for ten years!

Boira

#9 Post by Boira »

I go every 4 weeks. The ortho checks everything is on schedule and if some work is needed, does it herself.
  • Invisalign 1st round: 23/26U - 23/60L - 13 attachments. Stopped at tray 23.
  • Mid-course correction: 15/15U - 37/37L - 11 attachments - DONE!
  • Refinements: 33/33U - 33/33L - 17 attachments - DONE!
  • Refinements 2nd round: 1/18U - 1/18L - 10 attachments

Huggypillow

#10 Post by Huggypillow »

My ortho does all the work, ( our country doesnt allow aastnts to carry out those types of proceedures)

I see my ortho every 4 weeks, we have a great discussion about what the weeks have thrown at us, we chat about progress then he dissassembels the metal gates.

Basically the ortho does everything, its weired to read about the practices in other countries.

Nav

#11 Post by Nav »

When I was being treated with Invisalign, I used to visit my ortho every 4-6 weeks.

He would give me my next batch of 2-3 aligners and check to make sure that the teeth were moving in the right direction. The appointments generally didn't last longer than 30 minutes.

He would carry out the work and the dental assistant would be in the back making the necessary notes and providing support.

TheDormouse

#12 Post by TheDormouse »

When I had my twin blocks, it was the orthodontist himself doing the adjustments, but now with the actual braces it's the dental assistant who seems to do all the work. She even put them on. He only verifies her work at the end.

xtina81

#13 Post by xtina81 »

I go in every 6 weeks, but I have only had one follow up appointment since first getting my trays/attachments. Everytime I have went in, the assistant comes and talks to me and checks things over, then the dentist looks everything over as well, but she seems to look more throuroughly than the assistant. I feel very well taken care of in the office. Whenever I have had questions and call in, the assistant always responds quickly.

Greenman

#14 Post by Greenman »

Every 6-8 weeks for me and Orthodontist does everything, with assistant assisting.
Paul
My Blog: The Invisalign Challenge http://theinvisalignchallenge.blogspot.com.au
Can Invisalign fix gap, buck, crooked, twisted, crowned teeth?

U - 8/36
L - 8/36

emilyvonstroodle

#15 Post by emilyvonstroodle »

I'm using an Inman Aligner and see my dentist every 2 weeks. It's a bit of a nuisance as the surgery is over an hour away, but I guess it will be worth it in the end!!