Smilehope's story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

smilehope

Smilehope's story

#1 Post by smilehope »

Well, it's done now. One thing about braces - they quickly help you forget your extractions a month ago!

I had braces as a teenager, but I'm not sure how much of the current problem is it didn't do much and how much is that there were no retainers. Possibly a bit of both, but I don't remember having a good smile as a teenager. Did start to get a troublesome jaw though, not so much clicking as a continuous scrunching noise with the occasional very painful loud (to other people) click on eating.

About 15 years ago I started going to my current lovely dentist, who had already been my husband's for a while. Every now and then we would talk about my bite / jaw. She advised the jaw exercises, and I would do them for a bit then forget. They never did much. Then last autumn (I'm now 42) she mentioned that the only way to really improve my bite would be orthodontics... I took the bait, and went for a consultation with the orthodontist she recommended who she had seen good results from. I cried when I first saw him, because it was such a shock having someone calmly say that they could straighten my teeth and help me bite (my molars never really have met properly). No promises re the TMJ but at least the bite would work. I have wonky teeth with deep (full) overbite, and all the lower teeth tip in.

My dentist did the extractions on 1st Feb. Last week I went for a repeat impression to be done for the plate, and today went for fitting.

I have a fixed metal lower brace, with a removable upper appliance which has to be worn all the time apart from brushing teeth. Problem now is that the only bite I have is one lower incisor touching the plate. That little incisor is starting to feel the pressure! On the bright side the overbite is no more. The removable bit should be about 6 months then I'll have fixed uppers (clear) as well.

My lisp is TERRIBLE. I have spent the afternoon reading my book out loud which helps. I hate this mouth full of plastic! I will see my parents in 2 days which I am dreading. They know what I'm doing - sort of. I didn't tell about the extractions! They probably think I'm mad. I need to be as lisp-free as possible on Monday for work.

All I've eaten so far is a bowl of soup and some yoghurt. I'm HUNGRY!
1st Feb 2012 - extraction both upper 2nd premolars
Braced 9th March 2012 - lower metal fixed and upper removable plate
5th September 2012 - bite plate gone, upper ceramic fixed fitted
Estimated treatment time 18-24 months

BetsyBug

Re: Smilehope's story

#2 Post by BetsyBug »

Smilehope :jump: yay for the braces...you are on your way now!!!
as for the bite plate, i have something similar. Except mine is glued in and I have my top braces already, mine are called bite turbos. I lisped pretty bad for the first day, but its getting better. Everyone I work with say they don't even notice it anymore. (I do but its really not that bad) my teeth only touch at one of my front incisors as well. Chewing stinks but I can tell my jaw teeth are already starting to move together as dinner last night wasn't near as bad as it had been. I have just been sticking to food that if necessary I can swallow whole but I keep trying to chew with very little luck.
Sounds like we are very similar with the TMJ issues as well, good news there I haven't had any jaw pain since my jaw has been propped open with these turbos so for that I love them. So hopefully they can reposition your jaw well enough to stop the clicking.

anyhoo...welcome to the club!!!! I look forward to hearing more about your journey!!
keep smiling!
Elizabeth
Getting top and bottom traditional metal braces and bite turbos
correcting crowding, overbite, and TMJ on 3/6/2012
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

VioletJay

#3 Post by VioletJay »

Aww! Thinking of you! Hope that lisp goes substantially by Monday! :)
Proud mama, graphic designer, writer and editor, working toward increased self sufficiency with my man, my little girl and my wits about me! Adios, jumbly teeth; hello happy smile! :)

smilehope

#4 Post by smilehope »

My 10 year boy has appointed himself as my speech therapist. He keeps asking me to say things, and tells me which bits don't sound right. This could be a long weekend! Getting better with the S sounds if I concentrate but the K & G ones are going to be harder to beat.

My 2 best friends at the moment are my wax and ice cream.

The worst bit is that getting this plate out to clean, which I have to do each meal when I do my teeth, really hurts. It pulls on the 2 front teeth horribly, and then I have to steel myself to put it back in! Once in it doesn't hurt though. I'm scared tonight when I have to turn the screws to get my molars moving out.

The only pain at the moment is that lower incisor which meets the bite plate. I'm trying to bite on it as much as I can though, as I think that is what will help it move down eventually. The orthodontist said I'll have the plate for about 6 months, but he also said it might be less, so anything I can do to help the process I will.

BetsyBug

#5 Post by BetsyBug »

the lisp will get better with practice, you and your "therapist" will get you talking right in no time!! Here pretty soon you will be able to ditch the bite plate, and you won't even remember what it was like to have it in there!!! I really wish I could take out my turbos on occasion.... good luck with the expander, hope that slow gentle movement doesn't get to hurting too much for you.

:)
Elizabeth
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

jem

#6 Post by jem »

Smilehope,

Congratulations on getting your braces on. Your treatment sounds very similar to that of someone on this site with the user name jay04 who finished treatment perhaps 6 months ago with great results. If you can find her pictures you should find them encouraging.

Good to hear that you are getting loving attention from your in-house speech therapist! I expect your speech will already have improved a lot and be back to normal within a few more days. If you record what your speech actually sounds like, you will realise that it is far better than you would think from hearing yourself speak.

Good luck with your treatment.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

smilehope

#7 Post by smilehope »

Thanks for the tip jem, a lot of jay04's story could be about me! Not sure I'll get done so quick though, but my arch shape & palate look similar.

Things going ok this way. Pain settling. Eating easier (sausages last night) and not minding the yuk that builds up under the plate as I'm going to clean it straight away anyway. Plate sometimes a right pain to get in correctly though. Need to do screw turn today unfortunately.
Managed to play bassoon in a 2 hour rehearsal last night!!! Pre-dosing paracetamol and ibuprofen, lots of wax all round. I was amazed that it all went ok, no holes in cheeks or anything.

This is really wierd. I thought I knew nobody who had teeth fixed as an adult. There is someone I did know about I play music with but had forgotten. Then it turns out someone I'm training had jaw surgery a couple of years ago, and someone I worked with last year had Invisalign and I never knew. Now it turns out a good friend had Invisalign and I never knew. Ok, so nobody with metal braces for 2 years, but at least suddenly loads of people I can talk to about teeth, who think I'm doing a brilliant thing, who UNDERSTAND. The woman I'm working with who had had jaw surgery - when she came in and said "how was your weekend" and I pulled my lip down and lisped "braces" - her first word was BRILLIANT! Things are looking better.

So much so that I think I'll post some pics. Feels like I'm baring my soul. Please be nice.

First up, the before pics. Overbite, general wonkiness. Excuse the stains down the sides of the extraction holes - will get dentist to sort out.

Now braced up, wire all over the place:

And now the troublemaker, plate (bright pink!!) with expanding bits:

I really hope some improvement comes over the next year. Right now I just can't picture how they're going to improve at all

BetsyBug

#8 Post by BetsyBug »

Looks Great!!!! :jump: :jump: I'm sure you will get used to the bite plate pretty soon.

I can't even imagine picking up my clairnet right now.... I'm sure my lower lip would be ground to bits, so good for you at your successful practice!!!

Its funny how when you bring attn to your teeth, how many people come out of the wood work who either had braces as an adult, or really want them. Its nice that I don't feel like such a wierdo :)

Let us know how the the expansion goes with the bite plate, hoping its not painful for you.... ))hugs((
Elizabeth
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

smilehope

#9 Post by smilehope »

Turned the key this am, couldn't get plate back in, turned it back. Tried again after lunch, got it back in but it's a bit tight!

lilone

#10 Post by lilone »

Good luck with your journey, smilehope! With regard to the key turning, are you sure you are supposed to take it out to turn the key? A friend of mine had a key turning thing and it had to be done with the appliance in her mouth.

smilehope

#11 Post by smilehope »

Definitely take out to turn. Fiddly enough when out!

jem

#12 Post by jem »

Hello Smilehope,

How has your first week gone? Is your speech much improved?

Your upper brace ( whilst not very visible) looks as if it must be quite hard to live with, so well done so far. I realise I am lucky with my straightforward treatment and must stop whingeing about losing the coating from my white archwire.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

smilehope

#13 Post by smilehope »

Well, 10 days in. Main problem is still the plate & key turns - done 3 so far. When I've turned the keys the plate is really hard to get in, I have to push so hard that I think I'm going to break the molars. When it goes in the clunk is huge, and it hurts a LOT but only for about 10-15 minutes. It remains difficult for about 3 days, so it just starts to get a bit easier to put in then I have to do the key turn again. I'm hoping that as the molars get the idea they're moving then it won't be so difficult / painful to get the plate in & out, but at the moment the 7mm movement between fitting and first adjustment seems scary ++ (0.25mm a keyturn, each side, twice a week).

The other problem is that the wires at the back remain sharp and still needing wax. No opportunity really to go & have that checked out so I guess I'll have to go & buy extra wax. Most teeth generally tender but I don't mind that too much as I reckon it means they're moving. Can't see any movement yet though :cry:

On the plus side the lisp isn't quite so evil. Stayed with a bunch of friends at the weekend and most people did what has been described on this site - bit of interest / curiosity for a few minutes then they forget about it. Good for confidence-building. Eating is easier as the incisor doing all the biting doesn't hurt now. I still forget what I can't eat though - I put some lettuce in my mouth before I realised I wouldn't have a hope of swallowing it!

Hoping to see even a little movement by next weekend to give me some encouragement.

smilehope

#14 Post by smilehope »

First big test. 2-day residential conference, all strangers. Eating in front of strangers, brushing teeth in public. First day ok so far but no snacks between meals when everyone is tucking in is a killer. Going to dinner shortly :?

tmroy79

#15 Post by tmroy79 »

Good Luck! :D