braceface74 story with pics

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceface74

braceface74 story with pics

#1 Post by braceface74 »

So, here i am at the age of 37, almost 38, about to get braces!!

I have always been bothered with condition of my teeth and thought they really weren't worth straightening! I have had many fillings from a young age.. the fillings in the front i have also had for more than 20yrs so thought i'd be laughed at more for wanting to do something with my teeth in the state they are in as opposed to how they would look in braces.

Anyways juts before xmas i decided to bite the bullet and go see an ortho about what could be done.. i wanted something fast and invisible with invisalign being in the back of my mind. Anyways, she recommended damon braces clear on top and metal on bottom *gasp* and they would be on for 18 months *bigger gasp*, then the cost which was an even bigger gasp but money wasn't the real issue! Anyways after some thought i decided to go for it and was back the next again week for photos and impressions... i'm currently pregnant so no x-rays for now.

My main concern about the treatment is it making my teeth worse. I have been told no extractions are necesary so all good there but my biggest worry over all these years has been losing my teeth therefore if it aint broke then don't fix is was my moto! I'd rather have crooked teeth than no teeth after all.

So here are some before pictures.
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1034.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Braces journey 16/01/2012 - 03/06/2013 :)

My Braces story

lau

Re: braceface74 story with pics

#2 Post by lau »

BF74: Congratulations on taking the plunge! and on your baby bump! I am also 37 and i've got my brackets on October.

For me, the first month was the toughest, i thought i wanted them off and could not believe what i had done but you'll see during the 2nd month you'll start seeing results and you'll know that you made the right decision. It is SO worth it! and adults with braces is like a 'cult', i never noticed how many people were out there but I keep running into people like yesterday at my apartment building, at the airport on a trip to new york, a waitress at a restaurant last week who have or have had braces and there is all this encouragement. People know what you went thru (like on this forum) and really reach out and tell you they understand. it was amazing for me, a big plus to find all this support.

All the best, let us know how it goes.
Lau
Wore Top & Bottom traditional metal brackets, wore elastics both sides 24/7
Brace day: Oct 4 2011 / Sentence: 18 months - DONE in 16 months
My story + progress pix

braceface74

#3 Post by braceface74 »

Hi Lau, thanks for stopping by and your well wishes.

Yep, i'm quite determined once i get started. Although i'd imagine that in the USA it is more popular than here in Scotland!! Dont' think i have seen any other adults in braces but that's not really bothering me to be honest.. well not at the moment anyways, maybes i'm under some false illusion that no one will notice! but truly not worried for now.. again though i will be off work for the next year so reckon by the time i go back i'll be a lot less self-concious plus my teeth should be almost there by then.

If i'm not happy with them after they have been straighted i can see my dentist about what can be done about having them more perfected whether that be re-filled or perhaps the odd veneer etc...

This place is a real inspiration though.. I love seeing all the progress pics, it's made me confident that the treatment will work for me too.. just hope i'm right!

Thanks for reading.

My Braces story

Domino

#4 Post by Domino »

Hey braceface! I can't wait to see how things go for you. We're starting around about the same time so we'll be doing it together :D

You're fortunate you haven't need any extractions; I need 4, and two of them are coming out tomorrow, as you know :(

Congrats on the pregnancy, too :D
My Story — Braced on 2 March 2012. 4 premolar extractions. Ceramic/clear uppers, metal lowers. Duration of 2 years.
Currently: Third adjustment 19 June (all teeth bracketed!)

braceface74

#5 Post by braceface74 »

thanks dom.. fingers crossedeverything goes well tomorrow.

My Braces story

braceface74

#6 Post by braceface74 »

Ok, so today was b-day and now i am back home having had my damon clears fixed to my top teeth this morning!

over all not to bad.. worst part was the cold water cleaning!! the water was freezing.. but i coped :)... big brave me lol.

Right now they feel ok, so far no pain but i guess it's early days.. maybes this is the worst it will feel i.e tight feeling... i'll remain optomistic and positive.

Looks wise i am impressed, I don't think they are that obvious at all although i've yet to get the opinions of them who can see me in the flesh :). The little dots on the brackets will brush off apparently so all good.
IMAG0170.jpg
IMAG0173.jpg
Lets hope there is quick progress.. make the hassle of taking these pictures worth while lol... yeah for adding pictures of a decent size :).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Braces story

jem

#7 Post by jem »

Congratulations Braceface 74- looking good! I am another UK newbie having had a Damon clear brace placed on my upper teeth (sectional brace on front 6 teeth only) on 3 January. So far pain-free and hardly noticed by anybody. I scratched off the dots. Are your brackets all clear or are they metal apart from front 6?

Regards

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

braceface74

#8 Post by braceface74 »

Hi Jem, the clears are just on the six front but because of the way my teeth are you can't notice the metal ones further back so right now this is ideal for me. I will have all metal on bottom which i think will be quite noticable because i reckon when i'm speaking that my bottom teeth show more than the tops but i don't really know to be honest.

Good to hear you never really suffered any pain :) , right now the biggest pain for me is in my stomach as i'm starving and thinking hard what to eat lol.

Good luck to you in your braces journey :) and thanks for stopping by.

My Braces story

braceface74

#9 Post by braceface74 »

Quick update, got my lowers on 2 days ago and boy do they look quite something!! Quite a big difference in noticability compared to the tops but never mind!
Have to say that i've not had any pain from the tops, bottoms have been a little uncomfortable but nothing painkiller or wax worthy. Also needed to get some bite turbos which is making eating even more problematic !!

Anyway, some pics:
IMAG0171.jpg
DSCN0022.JPG

My Braces story

braceface74

#10 Post by braceface74 »

Couple of more pic of uppers progress... i think i can see some anyways :)
IMAG0173.jpg
DSCN0023.JPG

My Braces story

Domino

#11 Post by Domino »

Looks great, braceface!

I can definitely see some good movement there. Amazing how much they can change in two weeks. I really can't wait for mine!
My Story — Braced on 2 March 2012. 4 premolar extractions. Ceramic/clear uppers, metal lowers. Duration of 2 years.
Currently: Third adjustment 19 June (all teeth bracketed!)

braceface25

#12 Post by braceface25 »

Looks great! I couldn't help but notice that the position of your teeth is almost identical to mine! I'm almost at the 7th month mark, and I didn't believe people when they said it would go by fast, but it really does..good luck and keep posting!
Maria
Braced on July 18, 2011

braceface74

#13 Post by braceface74 »

thanks guys. The one thing i like the most about having braces is the pout it gives me lol.. takes years off me even if i do say do myself ;).

I am also really happy about the difference i can see.. i don't notice so much in the pics but when i look in the mirror i definitely see a difference already.

Thing that i'm disappointed with is the general condition of my teeth but there aint nothing i can do about that at the moment and that's nothing to do with the braces. Just when you see a lot of the pics posted on here most ppl seem to have such lovely white teeth to start with it's the dissapointing when i see the multicolour of mine not to mention all them fillings. Anyways i'm not complaining too much.. i'll get the colour sorted out after they are straight.

Do you have a journal or pics braceface25?

My Braces story

braceface74

#14 Post by braceface74 »

Day 1 in Braces then after 4wks
IMG_1032.JPG
DSCN0048.JPG

My Braces story

braceface74

#15 Post by braceface74 »

Day 1
IMAG0173.jpg
Week 4
DSCN0045.JPG

My Braces story