Anyone have success with braces only?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vincent168

Anyone have success with braces only?

#1 Post by vincent168 »

Hi,

Is there any blogs or posts from past members that showed fixed underbite with braces only? I would be very interested to see any stories!

BracedSurgeryStudent

Re: Anyone have success with braces only?

#2 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Jenn Medeiros

vincent168

#3 Post by vincent168 »

WOW! Thats a massive overbite? That can be fixed with braces?!

BracedSurgeryStudent

#4 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

That persons was done without extractions and JUST braces. I think if they can do it at 10mm I can do it at 3mm. :) I think you could probably do it. I mean even if yours is pretty big (bigger than 10mm) you could always get a herbst appliance or something to guide the lower jaw forward and then get elastics afterwards.
Jenn Medeiros

vincent168

#5 Post by vincent168 »

I don't understand orthodontics sometimes..like some people with 1mm underbite (edge to edge) require surgery even...

survenant

#6 Post by survenant »

@BracedSurgeryStudent

You should not take out of your ass, just because in this one case, an overbite could be fixed by braces only does not mean that surgery can be avoided in general.

People that post in this subforum have jaw problems that are more severe than most people who have orthondontic treatements.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#7 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

vincent168 wrote:I don't understand orthodontics sometimes..like some people with 1mm underbite (edge to edge) require surgery even...
Yeah a lot of things factor into play, growth and developement, tooth movement, space, etc. sometimes people need surgery for other things too not just the overbite but they get it all done in one whack. For example. a person with an underbite and an open bite will have surgery to correct both. A person with an overbite and a gummy smile will get them both fixed at once.

I am doing it without having the surgery. Despite surgery being my ortho's firtst choice of course of action. She is cool with me not getting it. In fact I got my Damon system installed on Sept 8th 2011 and on December 1 2011, my orthodontist was absolutely shocked on how well the Damon system was working on me in such a short period of time, and without surgery.

So you never know. Like I said everyone is different. I hope it all works out for you. You could always go a year or two in braces and if you don't see a change you can sit down with your ortho and change the treatment plan to incorporate surgery. For me It was surgery if not then another plan and we've complete went off course and did something else and it seems to be working better. No appliance just braces and elastics.

Best of Luck.
Jenn Medeiros

vincent168

#8 Post by vincent168 »

That is absolutely true. If you look on youtube, many surgery candidates not only has an underbite but a very noticeable overgrowth of the lower jaw (which results in the underbite), so moving an overgrown lower jaw to fix the underbite still doesn't really solve the profile issue I guess. Do you have a blog/post of your progress? I would be interested

survenant

#9 Post by survenant »

IN my case I have an underbite, an open bite, crossbite, gummy smile long face syndrome and jaw asymetry.

littleviolet

#10 Post by littleviolet »

I think if someone has an overbite from just teeth movement alone it can be fixed without surgery, like if they sucked their thumb as a child and it pushed the top teeth outwards. But if the overbite is because the jaw didn't grow properly it would need to be fixed with surgery, which was my case. My lower jaw was too small and I had it advanced 8mm with jaw surgery last week. surgery really isn't that bad, I experienced more pain getting my wisdom teeth out lol and not only did it fix my bite it fixed my profile too, my chin doesn't look receeded anymore :)

BracedSurgeryStudent

#11 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

vincent168 wrote:That is absolutely true. If you look on youtube, many surgery candidates not only has an underbite but a very noticeable overgrowth of the lower jaw (which results in the underbite), so moving an overgrown lower jaw to fix the underbite still doesn't really solve the profile issue I guess. Do you have a blog/post of your progress? I would be interested

Sure, http://youngadultbracesjourney.blogspot.com/ I have yet to add the december pictures.
Jenn Medeiros

vincent168

#12 Post by vincent168 »

littleviolet wrote:I think if someone has an overbite from just teeth movement alone it can be fixed without surgery, like if they sucked their thumb as a child and it pushed the top teeth outwards. But if the overbite is because the jaw didn't grow properly it would need to be fixed with surgery, which was my case. My lower jaw was too small and I had it advanced 8mm with jaw surgery last week. surgery really isn't that bad, I experienced more pain getting my wisdom teeth out lol and not only did it fix my bite it fixed my profile too, my chin doesn't look receeded anymore :)
I think also minor incorrect jaw position can be fixed also with elastics? I'm not too sure on this one
Hmm not as bad as wisdom teeth? Wow! Good news, I had wisdom teeth extractions before and it really isn't bad at all..The recovery time does scare me though
Last edited by vincent168 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

vincent168

#13 Post by vincent168 »

BracedSurgeryStudent wrote:
vincent168 wrote:That is absolutely true. If you look on youtube, many surgery candidates not only has an underbite but a very noticeable overgrowth of the lower jaw (which results in the underbite), so moving an overgrown lower jaw to fix the underbite still doesn't really solve the profile issue I guess. Do you have a blog/post of your progress? I would be interested

Sure, http://youngadultbracesjourney.blogspot.com/ I have yet to add the december pictures.
Awesome! Great to hear that you have very fast and successful improvement! So you only had a 3mm overbite?

vincent168

#14 Post by vincent168 »

survenant wrote:IN my case I have an underbite, an open bite, crossbite, gummy smile long face syndrome and jaw asymetry.
Hmm, in that case it would be very beneficial to get surgery I suppose! Is it possible to get long face syndrome without having an underbite? As in, is it mainly due to having over growth of the lower jaw only? (That's what I observed)

kittykel29

#15 Post by kittykel29 »

Here's two I've been following:

http://saybraces.blogspot.com/ and http://justanothermetalmouth.blogspot.com/

I also had a underbite, more like an edge to edge bite. One orthodontist told me I needed the surgery, and the orthodontist I currently go to said I only needed braces. I'm halfway through treatment and my underbite is gone from only the braces. I don't have any pictures posted on here though.