Any adults in their 40's on here?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Minerva

Re: Any adults in their 40's on here?

#31 Post by Minerva »

Welcome Sherrie64 :thumbsup:

Sherrie64

#32 Post by Sherrie64 »

thanks!

Sherrie64

#33 Post by Sherrie64 »

anyone on here have issues with tongue thrusting that caused an open bite? This is the source of my issue so I have been researching how to correct it on my own without going to a therapist....NOT easy to do at this point in time. I never realized how 'incorrect' my tongue naturally sits in my mouth and how difficult it is now to place it correctly.

Bullfighter

#34 Post by Bullfighter »

Sherrie64 wrote:anyone on here have issues with tongue thrusting that caused an open bite? This is the source of my issue so I have been researching how to correct it on my own without going to a therapist....NOT easy to do at this point in time. I never realized how 'incorrect' my tongue naturally sits in my mouth and how difficult it is now to place it correctly.
My orthodontist thought that might be a contributing factor to my open bite.

I went through a series of sessions with a therapist. There are exercises you can do to 'train' your tongue to park in the right spot, but I still have to concentrate on it.

tennesseeditto

#35 Post by tennesseeditto »

keeponsmiling wrote:Sorry to slightly hijack the thread when I'm 32, but did any of you who had surgery later in life get warned about saggy skin after having jaw surgery? It's an issue that's cropped up a few times on the board but no surgeons ever seem to mention it. It seems logical that if your bone structure is made smaller (I'm due to have Lefort 1, BSSO and genio) then of course there will be excess skin - but is it really noticeable? In my case my bite wasn't bad enough to need surgery until my mid-twenties, past the 'prime' time for healing and skin still being elastic enough to recover, but it's an issue that concerns me more than post-op pain and discomfort because I know that will improve every day whereas my skin could just get worse and worse. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Skin is attached to muscles so you might want to look into facial exercises after you heal from the surgery if you elect to have it.

My other piece of advice continue with your research and questions, keep us posted and do NOT let fear keep you from doing something. :-D

keeponsmiling

#36 Post by keeponsmiling »

Just for the record, I asked my surgeon about excess skin when I saw him last month and he completely dismissed the issue. He could see what I meant but (in my case at least) the amount of bone removed will not be enough to leave the skin drooping. I'm not totally convinced, but I am convinced I need the surgery, so I guess I'll just have to deal with any cosmetic side-effects in the future.

tennesseeditto

#37 Post by tennesseeditto »

I wish you the best; keep us updated.

kieranmullen

#38 Post by kieranmullen »

Who did you use? Thanks

[quote="aussiere"]

I chose to have my surgery done in Costa Rica and just got back Tuesday of this week. For those of you considering this option, I would be happy to share my experiences with you.

aussiere[/quote]

Leebie3

#39 Post by Leebie3 »

Sherrie64 wrote:anyone on here have issues with tongue thrusting that caused an open bite? This is the source of my issue so I have been researching how to correct it on my own without going to a therapist....NOT easy to do at this point in time. I never realized how 'incorrect' my tongue naturally sits in my mouth and how difficult it is now to place it correctly.

My tongue sits too far forward in my jaw (past front teeth) and has contributed to pushing my upper front teeth forward... My lower jaw is too small.

Surgery in my case will improve my breathing as my tongue tends to fall back and block off my throat.

I'm 37 and am 12-18 months off surgery... I'm excited about it! Ill be able to breathe, ill get rid of the chin sag and they're fixing my deviated septum at the same time (so that they can put the breathing tube down my nose during surgery at a guess).

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

candle1112

#40 Post by candle1112 »

I'm so glad to hear there are other people having or who had jaw surgery who are older. I'm 47 and just starting my journey so I'm about 1 year away from having double jaw surgery. The first oral surgeon I went to said I was way to old to have this type of surgery which was not only insulting, but didn't sound right. The second oral surgeon I went to said that age would not be a problem since I'm in good health and normal weight. Since then, I've been reading about jaw surgeries and found out that there are plenty of people who are over 35 who have this surgery who do quite nicely after it. This thread is very encouraging.

redwine

#41 Post by redwine »

I just turned 57 and expect to be scheduling BSSO for sometime in December. Yep, I'm scared of the recovery period, but also looking forward to the end results. My lower jaw is to be moved forward about 10 mm and I've been told that the recovery will be easier than the SARPE surgery - excellent news! I will mostly be on my own, with a friend to drive me to and from hosp. and who will stay with me for the first 24 hours. After that, I'll mostly be on my own, with friends checking on me daily. I have 3 large dogs who will keep me company (and all know hand signals - thank goodness!). It sounds like everyone here is making a good recovery. I will be watching closely for any tips, recovery timelines, etc. I wish all of you (us, I guess) a fast and easy recovery!

Corrinne

#42 Post by Corrinne »

I was fully capable of looking after myself as soon as I got back from hospital. I was out the day after surgery. I had double jaw surgery and genio.

I must admit that a few times I nearly didn't take my medication because I couldn't be bothered to move and fetch them, but I was absolutely fine looking after myself, I'm sure you will be too :)

The only benefit of having people with you to help, is that you get a little sympathy and someone to take your frustration out on!
Four wisdom extracted 03/2011, Braces & quadhelix 09/2011, bimax & genio summer 2013
Blog: http://jawsurgery-journey.blogspot.co.uk
Vlog: https://www.youtube.com/user/doublejawsurgery/videos

redwine

#43 Post by redwine »

Totally on pins and nedles right now. Got home and there was a message from my ortho - he had spoken with the OS and wanted to let me know what they discussed/decided. Called him back this AM and of course he's with patients. I have a feeling I'm not going to get much quality work done until I hear from him.

redwine

#44 Post by redwine »

Also, good to know that taking care of myself won't be a problem. I was a bit nervous about that. Although, when I think back, I realize that I had next to no help after SARPE. I think a timer w/alarm for drugs is a probably a good idea, and of course I have my trusty Ninja. Planning to whip up several batches of mush and freeze it ahead of time.

Corrinne

#45 Post by Corrinne »

redwine wrote:Planning to whip up several batches of mush and freeze it ahead of time.
Good idea - that's what I did, I made three pots of soup and froze them into portions.
You might want to get some disposable plastic cups - they are the only thing I could drink out of after my surgery because they were light and thin. I drank soup and juice out of them (and had no washing up!) also, plastic tea-spoons are better than metal ones (although whether you can use cutlery depends on if you have elastics on).

:)
Four wisdom extracted 03/2011, Braces & quadhelix 09/2011, bimax & genio summer 2013
Blog: http://jawsurgery-journey.blogspot.co.uk
Vlog: https://www.youtube.com/user/doublejawsurgery/videos