THEY ARE OFF!!! Retainer Questions!!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

I love my teeth

THEY ARE OFF!!! Retainer Questions!!

#1 Post by I love my teeth »

Well, after 2.5years, and BSSO in Jan 2011, they are off and the retainers are on! Got debonded yesterday, and got upper and lower clear retainers (essix??) I needed to have my upper Left 2 bonded, as the tooth is a ridiculously small and weird shaped, and he was unable to close the gap with braces...called the dentist this morning, she had an opening, got the bonding done, got another upper retainer remade, picking it up in an hour!

I need to wear the retainers 24/7 for 1month, then nightly after that..she gave me some samples of retainer brite, but how often should I clean them? No one told me that part?? Also, is it normal that the retainers are tight to get off? seems right, but they are tight! Another good weight loss tool, I guess, too much work to keep taking them in and out all day long!!

Any help with retainer care/wear is much apprecated!
Wore Braces for 2 years, 5 months, 3 days

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

TumbleDryLow

Re: THEY ARE OFF!!! Retainer Questions!!

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

My retainers (Essix) were unbearably tight at first too. Now (over a year later) they are much looser and easier to get on an off.

I clean my retainer every morning when I take it out. But I'm a clean freak so I don't know if that's normal or not. It just my personal preference especially when I consider all the bacteria that must be on the thing after being in my mouth all night. I bought the SonicBrite machine and powder from DentaKit and it works really well. I have the Retainer Brite tablets and soaking tray too as that system is much easier to use when traveling.

Congrats on your debanding!

I love my teeth

#3 Post by I love my teeth »

Thanks tumble! I started cleaning them in the mornings also, I agree, the idea of bacteria all night is gross! They are easier to get in and out today. It will definately be easier when I don't have to wear them during the day. But for now, I take them out for an hour or so in the am, to do coffee/breakfast ect. In most of the day, out again for dinner prep and dinner...I didn't realize how much I taste during dinner prep. Then in again until morning (expect for brushing teeth!).

It feels so great to have them finally off! Bought a big bottle of red wine to celebrate! Ate some curry last night too! Love those stainable foods now!

[/url]

suzanna

#4 Post by suzanna »

Congrats! I can't wait to have mine off!! Should be pretty soon. Are you going to post pics of your naked teeth??
Upper and Lower Braces Applied: December 4th, 2009
Lefort 1 and BSSO Surgery: February 11th, 2011

I love my teeth

#5 Post by I love my teeth »

Suzanna, I would love too, I am currently in apple upgrade he**.....trying to update iPhone and iPad to ios5, will send some pics soon!

Christine

[/url]

suzanna

#6 Post by suzanna »

I love my teeth wrote:Suzanna, I would love too, I am currently in apple upgrade he**.....trying to update iPhone and iPad to ios5, will send some pics soon!

Christine
I'm glad I had no problems updating my phone! I had an ortho appointment today and was told that my upper braces could come off next appointment (3 weeks from now) but my orthodontist isn't happy with the bottom teeth yet, the front six are tilted inwards too much and he's trying to straighten them more with this weird metal appliance under my wire between all the brackets. I might just wait to get the uppers off until everything is done if it's only going to be another couple of appointments.
Upper and Lower Braces Applied: December 4th, 2009
Lefort 1 and BSSO Surgery: February 11th, 2011

Chicagogal

#7 Post by Chicagogal »

I just got mine off TODAY (10-25-11) after 15 months. I'm not enjoying getting used to top and bottom hawleys, but still happy to be free. I feel like i see the 27-7 for a month and then nightly a lot, but my ortho just said one week of fulltime wear and then just night time, is that odd?

also another cleaning question for lynn, would those wipes be good for the inside of my retainer case? I just remember having a smelly retainer case when I was growing up.
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.