only one day in hospital?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

double jawbreaker

only one day in hospital?

#1 Post by double jawbreaker »

My surgery date is this Wednesday (October 5th). I was told I will be hospitalized for one day. From what I've read on other jaw surgery blogs most patients are in the hospital for two to three days. Is hospitalization for one day unusual? Anthem only pays for one day, perhaps this was part of reason.

Rizzie

Re: only one day in hospital?

#2 Post by Rizzie »

It is common in the US. I've noticed NHS patients usually stay longer. I had double jaw surgery and stayed overnight. I didn't feel perky and "ready" to go home, but another day wouldn't have made any difference in my recovery. Once I got home, I was glad I didn't have to spend another night in the hospital.

double jawbreaker

#3 Post by double jawbreaker »

Thanks for the feedback. What med were you given to control the pain? Gunson's Post surgical packet mentions only one pain medication (Ultram 1-2 teaspoons/5-10cc every 4 hours).

Van'braces

#4 Post by Van'braces »

Hi,
My upper jaw surgery was done as day surgery, op' at 12.30, came round at about 3pm, kicked out (not literally!) at 6pm. I felt really woozy and the journey home was a bit grim (blood/nausea, no pain though) but I'd much rather be at home than in a hospital. My surgeon or his stand-in was on call incase anything happened (it did, I couldnt stop being sick, worst part of the whole thing!). I wouldn't worry, if they need to keep you in they will...

asmileconnectsus

#5 Post by asmileconnectsus »

Hi double jawbreaker- I had surgery with Dr. Gunson - I had the one night overnight in the hospital, and I honestly started feeling better as soon as I left. The morphine made me feel so out of it, they have to check in on you every hour overnight, and the catheter was less than awesome. As for the meds post-op, the Ultram is what he prescribes, but if it doesn't work there are other options. If you check out my blog I talk about the different drugs I had to try to take care of my pain. Best of luck!

Jsmith1972

#6 Post by Jsmith1972 »

Hi,
I am actually having surgery on October 10th, and I was told I would be in overnight. Well sort of. My surgery is scheduled for 12:30pm and they told me I would go home the next morning. I think its kind of the surgeon's discretion, but I agree, I would rather come home to my PJs and my recliner.

Good luck! I'll be right behind you!

cvn

#7 Post by cvn »

I was supposed to only be in for one night at Cottage too, but was still pretty unwell and ended up staying an extra night. Anthem paid for it, so don't stress about it. They'd prefer you to stay only one night, but they never complained about my second night (and they did complain about everything else, so this was surprising). Good luck, the worst is almost over!

BaliGirl

#8 Post by BaliGirl »

Hi, I believe the insurance co. will pay for as long as you need to stay medically. Some doctors encourage you to leave as soon as you are able. I'm having upper jaw surgery and it will be done as a day procedure - early morning surgery and I will be released in the early afternoon, assuming I am stable, able to breathe, drink water and walk around. I don't want to spend one minute longer in the hospital than I have to so this is fine with me. In my experience, hospitals are not restful places (constant noise and people poking and prodding you), and the staff there will not care for you as well as your family/friends will at home.

Good luck on your surgery!

Bullfighter

#9 Post by Bullfighter »

cvn wrote:I was supposed to only be in for one night at Cottage too, but was still pretty unwell and ended up staying an extra night. Anthem paid for it, so don't stress about it. They'd prefer you to stay only one night, but they never complained about my second night (and they did complain about everything else, so this was surprising). Good luck, the worst is almost over!
Same here (different insurer, though).

I had evening surgery (~8 pm probably), woke up in my hospital room at some hour that I can't remember. Spent the next day and night, then requested to be discharged once I felt I could breathe. I had a nice private room but hospitals are still unpleasant and I was glad to get home.

I had painkillers via IV, which were extremely effective. After discharge I didn't even use the prescribed liquid pain med.

mandysjaw

#10 Post by mandysjaw »

I live in Canada, and I was told I'll be in for 2 days because I am having double jaw surgery. The nurse said they use a rule of "1 day for single jaw surgery", "2 days for double jaw surgery".

freakyteeth

#11 Post by freakyteeth »

One night only. THen GET OUT. Seriously. I asked to stay another night, I wasn't drinking much due a severely sore throat from the breathing tube. They woke up from a nap and pushed me out the door.

Although the next day napping in the recliner was really nice.
Braces 1986 & Sept 2007 (age 34)
severe class II impinging overbite
17 missing teeth (genetically)- AXIN 2 genetic mutation
Jan 2010 - genioplasty w/mandibular bone graft (from chin bone)
Jul 2010 - 4 mandibular implants. FAILED
Oct 2010 - re-placement of 3 implants, hardware removal
03/29/2011 - BSSO and 3 piece Lefort I
Sept 2012 - Upper jaw - 4 implants w/bone graft.
Jan 2016 - upper hardware removal, extensive upper bone graft

Rivvie

#12 Post by Rivvie »

I will be getting two surgeries in the future, SARPE+MSDO and after that Lefort 1+BSSO. When I asked how long I would be in hospital I was also told 1 day (both surgeries). This is in the Netherlands by the way.
Only when I would be feeling really bad after the Lefort 1+BSSO I could probably get another day, but only when I would insist on this myself.

littleviolet

#13 Post by littleviolet »

I'm having lower jaw surgery in December in a private hospital & they want to keep me there for 2 or 3 nights. Prob because I'm paying for it haha. But I know they will look after me well :)