Do teeth get filed down after debracing??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

anniegirl

Do teeth get filed down after debracing??

#1 Post by anniegirl »

Hi everyone, I am due to get my braces off in another 5weeks, after having them on for just under a year. I am excited, but a little worried too, as I feel my two front teeth are not even, so my question is, will the orthodontist file my teeth down to make them even? Thanks!

kaylaa

Re: Do teeth get filed down after debracing??

#2 Post by kaylaa »

I had my teeth reshaped and I'm still in my braces, but my guess is that your ortho may like to wait until debanding.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GeenBug

#3 Post by GeenBug »

kaylaa wrote:I had my teeth reshaped and I'm still in my braces, but my guess is that your ortho may like to wait until debanding.
What's debanding?

Braced: June 24, 2010.

TumbleDryLow

#4 Post by TumbleDryLow »

If you just want a bit of the edges filed down that can wait until the braces come off. My ortho offered me some minor shaping after my brackets were removed. (Actually she asked if I wanted to remove the roundness of my upper fronts before my brackets were removed. I declined. Then she brought it up again the day my brackets were removed. I decline. And then again at a retainer check. Jeez! Clearly I'm the weird one but I like 'em that way!) Filing between the teeth needs to be done while brackets are still on so the wires can close the gap.

Bring up your concerns prior to having your braces removed just to be safe.

TumbleDryLow

#5 Post by TumbleDryLow »

GeenBug wrote:
kaylaa wrote:I had my teeth reshaped and I'm still in my braces, but my guess is that your ortho may like to wait until debanding.
What's debanding?
Taking your braces off.

anniegirl

#6 Post by anniegirl »

Thanks for the replies, that helps me alot, and puts my mind at ease! I have been told to check if I am happy with them a week before, so if at this point I am not happy at least I know now to expect them to be filed down....I hope that doesn't hurt!!! It will all be worth it, am starting to get excited now!!! :lol:

TumbleDryLow

#7 Post by TumbleDryLow »

It feels weird, but doesn't hurt.

Chicagogal

#8 Post by Chicagogal »

I asked the SAME type question in the naked tooth thread. Though I'm not sure if mine could be evened out by filing or if should tell my ortho that I'm willing to extend my treatment time (push back my debracing date) in order to get them even. argh. I think I could deal better with filing (my dentist does did that years ago with my canines, so if you go for a cleaning post-braces your dentist may be willing to do that for you as well).
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.

anniegirl

#9 Post by anniegirl »

chicagogal;i saw your question just after I posted mine, and thought they were scarily the same question!!! And your image of your teeth looked the same as mine do, good to know we have the same concerns!

I ended up phoning my orthodontist; they were brilliant, and advised me to come in straight away so they could take a look at them to see what is happening, rather than leave it until the date of debracing, only to be disappointed with having to have them on longer! I am really pleased with this response, and have my appointment tomorrow, so I may have another adjustment, which I can live with, or be told they will be filed down. I will let everyone know what the outcome is!!

anniegirl

#10 Post by anniegirl »

Well I went back to the orthodontist today; he was great, filed them down a little, they are still not 100% even, but he wants to wait until de-bracing just to get them right. I am so pleased at this result, it is what I was hoping for!