Insert Witty Title Here (Mauvaise gets braced at 41)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mauvaise

Insert Witty Title Here (Mauvaise gets braced at 41)

#1 Post by Mauvaise »

I always did tell my English Comp professor that titles were the bane of my existence. Now I'm going to have to live with the above for the next 18-24 months.

I'm just going to free-form this, so if it's disjointed or smacks of TLDR (too long, didn't read), I apologise in advance.

I've probably always needed braces, but I was a very strong-willed teen and when it was (briefly) mentioned I told my mom flat-out that I was NOT getting braces and she never pushed the issue. Right about now I feel like holding a seance to ball her out for that, but what's done is done. I have a decent size overjet (all my life I called it an overbite until my ortho consult when he called it an 'overjet') and my bottom teeth are reminiscent of Lombard St. (Pictures posted mainly for posterity/comparison at end of post for those that want to skip right to the end)

I am extremely dental phobic and I'll go a couple years in between visits because something traumatic (to me) will happen and I'll be afraid to go back again. My friend had been bugging me at the beginning of the year to go to the dentist, so I finally got a recommendation and saw a new guy. This guy caters to babies like me and I love him. When he did the initial x-rays and exam I had (what seemed like) cavities in every tooth. We set up a treatment plan and he asked me if I'd ever thought about braces.

I had, and dentists over the years had asked me that same question, but when I told them I wasn't vain enough to spend thousands of dollars on 'cosmetics' they didn't bring it up again. My current dentist, however, told me that he wasn't suggesting it because of that, but because by having my teeth aligned and sh... stuff (sorry, I have to curb my natural tendency to curse) would actually prevent me from getting cavities. Now I brush twice a day and floss three to four times a day, but apparently, even that doesn't really do any good if your teeth are out of whack. Who knew?!

I'm a very determined individual when I set my mind to something and once I was told that I decided I was getting braces. I got all my cavities filled over the course of several months, got a crown that I'd been needing for over five years, and had a consult with a wonderful orthodontist. This orthodontist said that because I have an extremely small palette (believe me, it's the first and only time anyone ever accused me of not having a big mouth :mrgreen: ) I would need extractions to make room for the other teeth to go where they needed to go. Four teeth would have to come out: first bicuspids on the top, second bicuspids on the bottom. I got my evaluation packet, treatment plan, and referral for the oral surgeon.

I decided to get all the regular dental stuff done first. I had my extractions done on 8/5. This was not a happy day. It felt wrong to pull four perfectly good teeth out of my head, but I did it. Since then, however, I've been having a severe case of "What the hell have I done and why did I do it?!" I think I cried Friday evening when I saw the way my mouth looked with all those missing teeth. And I've been lisping like crazy whenever I talk. I didn't eat solid food for almost a week and even now I can't eat anything too hard. I know that's not going to get better with the braces either.

I am scheduled to get my braces on next Friday. I wanted to take 2 weeks after the extractions to heal a bit before I put my mouth through more trauma. My ortho said that some people have the extractions and get braced in the same day! I'm not nearly that much of a masochist. Sorry, but no.

I am getting the Innovation-C self-ligating ceramics. My orthodontist loves Invisilign, but says I'm not a candidate because of the extractions. Apparently he doesn't feel they do well in closing gaps, so Innovation-C it is. I was good with that until I saw that coloured lig thread and realised I wouldn't be able to have any fun! I called the office and they said they keep coloured ligs around for the kids (HA!) and that I should just ask each time if I can have them and they'll put them on for me. Sometimes I won't be able to because of friction or something (I don't remember). I was very glad about that because I figure the colours is the only fun I am going to have. I am expected to be in braces for 18-24 months, power chains at some point, and elastics towards the end. He wants me to have a bonded retainer on the bottom, and essix retainers top and bottom 24/7 for about six months and then nightly for the rest of my life.

I have purchased a Water Pik and am contemplating a Sonic care toothbrush. I'm not looking forward to spending so much time brushing my teeth several times a day, but I suppose I can't go without food for that long. Hopefully I can get the routine down quickly and be able to do in 15 minutes total, instead of 15 minutes for each step.

I'm really nervous about the bracing next week and because I'm a worrier - I'm worried already about the debracing!! Help!! :crazy:

Image Top teeth. Ignore the cavities, then since been filled.

Image Right View

Image Left View

Image Front View

Image Bottom Teeth
In full braces for 2 years, 3 weeks, 1 day.

My Saga (Innovation-C upper/lower) here: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=40053

shanmuffin

Re: Insert Witty Title Here (Mauvaise gets braced at 41)

#2 Post by shanmuffin »

LOL :-* You're opening monologue (if you will) had me in absolute hysterics! Congratulations on starting your braces journey! I do not have braces yet either as I just had all four of my wisdom teeth out and am waiting to recouperate before getting braces on. I, as well, will have self-ligating braces, so maybe we can help each other through this :wink:

I was contemplating getting a Sonicare toothbrush too, but I am a cheap (expletive) and keep hoping that my ortho will give me one when I get my braces on. Hey, it's possible! I've seen some people say they got good toothbrushes in their goodie bags. And heck, I'm spending over $7000 on these darn things (out of pocket, mind you), so I think I deserve a good goodie bag!

Anyway, again good luck with your treatment, and I look forward to hearing how it's going! Take care.

Mauvaise

#3 Post by Mauvaise »

Shan, I must admit that I am holding out on the Sonic care in hopes that I am gifted one from the office. I plan on paying cash up front, so I'm hoping that earns me a bonus.

So yesterday I decided to be brave and have a good lunch. I knew I needed my strength because I was going to be playing tennis later that night. I went to Zoe's Kitchen and got a chicken salad sandwich and some of their yummy cole slaw (cabbage, feta, scallions, and oil & vinegar, no mayo!) as my side. I also got some hummus and pita. It truly was my most ambitious meal since the extractions a week before.

I get back to my desk and my coworker comes over just as I crack the lid on my meal. He looks at it, then me, and said, "how are you going to eat that?!". I laughed and said I wasn't quite sure myself yet, but it would be slow going.

I picked up the first half of the sandwich and try for my first bite. I had to take a very small bite and I immediately realized that I was going to have a problem for the next few months until my gaps are closed. See, since I have such a big overjet ice learned over the years to compensate not being able to bite through things with my front teeth like "normal" people by taking bites with my side teeth. I no longer have those side teeth!

I managed to eat the whole sandwich, though I did have to take the shredded lettuce off because no matter how small a bit, the lettuce was just too pokey in my extraction sites. Of course that meant I didn't get to eat my wonderful slaw either because of the shredded cabbage. I did try one bite, but no, too difficult.

After eating, there was a food excavating mission in the bathroom, but I guess that is just good practice for when I have the braces on.

My Saga (Innovation-C upper/lower) here: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=40053

Mauvaise

#4 Post by Mauvaise »

In less than 48 hours I will be in full braces. :shock: I'm very nervous about the install. I'm a hugely dental phobic (my regular dentist won't even let me get in the chair without 20mg of Valium - that's 2 blue ones) and worry that the cheek retractors will trigger my claustrophobia (or maybe it's a different phobia, one they don't have a name for yet).

I'm also worried that the install will hurt and how much pain I will feel after until I become accustomed to the braces. And canker sores! I'm prone to them now - I can't imagine having one with braces! :cry: I'm thinking a good plan for install day will be to have my friend drive me so I can take a muscle relaxer (a full one, not a 1/4 or 1/2 like I normally do*) before my appointment. That way maybe I'll be a little calm. Maybe Xanax would be better, but I don't think I have time to get a script for a couple of those.

I'm having a deep case of 'buyer's remorse' right now, but since I had those four bicuspids removed, I am in no position to back out now.

Speaking of the extractions - those are healing nicely. I am eating mostly normal, albeit slowly and in much smaller bites, with some clean up work after. I am hyper-aware of my upper canines now that the teeth next to them are gone, so that's weird.

Oh, did I mention my school semester starts on Monday and I'm moving next weekend?

I'm a big ol' stress monkey right now!

*Not that I'm popping muscle relaxers all the time. I had the script filled in October and have probably taken a sum total of (1) pill (2 doses for me).

lambchop

#5 Post by lambchop »

Mauvaise- I've had my braces on for three weeks, and it's amazing what I've gotten used to! I went to the fair today and ate a corndog...and bit into it with my front teeth! Two weeks ago, I'd have told you there would be NO biting anything for two years! Of course, different teeth seem to get sensitive at different times, but today they were doing well! I had two upper bicuspids removed, and the two neighboring teeth on the right side of my mouth were uber-sensitive to cold (even air!) for the first 10 days or so...it's like they were shocked to be so suddenly exposed! My ortho used cotton wads to put on the bottom brackets, and that helped alleviate any claustrophobic feelings, but did use the cheek extenders for the upper arch...they were probably only in my mouth for a total of 10 minutes; he was nice and speedy. I was also allowed to get up and rinse out my mouth after each arch was done, so that helped break up the session. I used wax for the first few days (I'm a waitress, and I talk a lot!), but haven't needed any since. I have all metal (not a good candidate for ceramics, apparently) with Smart-clip brackets, which seem to be similar to Damon brackets. My first adjustment is the first week of September so I may be pulling out the Lortabs I saved from my extractions! Oh, yeah...I'm 40. (Better late than never!) I'm sure everything will go swimmingly for you...but if you tend to be a 'nervous-Nellie', a little chemical assistance would probably make everything that much better! Good luck!

Mauvaise

#6 Post by Mauvaise »

Thanks, lambchop!

I'm going to be leaving work in less than 15 minutes to head out for my install. I'm jittery enough that you'd think I had 2 pots of coffee this morning (I had none). I'm still going back on forth on whether or not to take the muscle relaxer. My friend is going with me for moral support (and maybe as a driver if I take the pill), I may have him take pictures as the braces go on. Or maybe some video.

See y'all on the flip side!

Mauvaise

#7 Post by Mauvaise »

It has now been over 24 hours since I got braces. I'm done.

The install was not a fun time for me. Between the retractor, the bite block, and the mirrored cardboard triangle, I was feeling claustrophobic right away. The were able to work quickly and in pieces so I could take breaks after each section was done, which helped a lot. I thought I was getting all ceramic, but only the front brackets are, the rest are metal. I'm not sure I like that, but it is what it is.

I didn't have any pain until about 4 hours after install. I was actually feeling a lot better this morning, until I got out of bed and started moving around. Then I started hurting again. Right about now it feels like someone punched me repeatedly in the mouth and jaw.

Pita bread is too hard to eat, so I had my hummus with a spoon only. Applesauce, cottage cheese and diced fruit (mandarin oranges, peaches, and pineapple), pudding, and soup will be my diet for a few days, I guess. Cleaning up after eating is a pain in the rear, even with a Waterpik (which has already become my best friend).

Flossing brought me to tears this morning, and there are two teeth the have no room to get the floss threaded through now that there is a bracket there. I've got wax on multiple brackets as a preventative measure because I can feel how sharp the brackets feel. Oddly, the only raw spot is the inside of my right cheek, but no where near where a bracket is.

Oh, I did ask my over jet measurement: 12mm (!!!!). I asked him what he thought he could get it down to and he said he has dreams of 3 or 4. Fingers crossed.

I don't have wire going all the to my back teeth yet, they are too crooked or something, so it didn't matter that I broke a bracket (right upper rear molar) before they even put the wire on. They hinted that molar buildups could be in my future. Oh goody.

Mauvaise

Day 5 in Captivity.

#8 Post by Mauvaise »

Ok, the wax I was using as a preventative measure? No longer preventative. I've got two blisters (not canker sores - I've had those and am familiar with them and this is not them) on the inside of my cheek from bottom brackets rubbing against them. They developed yesterday, which coincidentally was my first day back to work since getting braces and I did a lot of talking. :cry:

I still can't eat anything harder than cottage cheese/soft meat loaf/mac & cheese. The tops of my teeth hurt if I try. I miss food. I also miss not having to spend 20 minutes+ in the bathroom after eating. It does make snaking totally not worth it. I'm down to just two meals a day (lunch & dinner) because I don't want to hassle with cleaning up twice at work. I also drink solely out of straws as I learned the hard way that if you don't, you can too easily bump a tooth with the drinking vessel and scare the cat when you cry out in pain.

I skipped flossing last night (but did use the water pik twice with two different 'nozzles') because it just hurt too much to consider it. I also slept in wax for my first time because of the blisters. Oh yeah - wax! That stuff is a bi--(self-censored; the word rhymes with 'witch') to deal with. The silicone stuff really does work the best, but man, is it difficult to get in place. It took me like 30 minutes to get it on (8) brackets and involved lots of sweating and cursing. The regular wax does go on much easier, but it's not as smooth and doesn't last as long. I will use that after lunch at work when I don't have as much time or resources and save the silicone for the AM and overnight. I also ordered some of that Rinicol (?sp) rinse in the hopes it will help the blisters.

I know it will get better and my mouth will toughen up and I'll be able to eat real food again, but right now it's hard to see that light at the end of the tunnel without believing it's an on-coming train full of sharp pokey things.

Mauvaise

#9 Post by Mauvaise »

So it's been close to a month since I got braces and every day it's a new challenge. The pain is mostly gone, until last night when just one tooth on the bottom started hurting something fierce. I'm hoping that's normal.

Eating remains a pain. I can't eat a lot of what I used to, I still can't bite even soft stuff with my front teeth and since I have the four extractions, I can't bite with my side teeth either, so I have to break everything up in small pieces. I tried eating potato chips over the weekend and found I had to eat them with my mouth open (gross). I don't eat as much as I used to because most of the time I don't find it worth the clean up hassle after.

I'm addicted to my water piks. Yes, plural. I have a cordless travel one and a counter top version. I use the pik after every meal and before bed. I also brush after every meal and floss at least once a day. I got a great fluoride mouthwash, but when I use it it leaves a purple film on the wires and since I'm not supposed to rinse (or eat or drink) after using it, I'm not sure if that's ok. I usually try to scrape it off with one of those christmas tree brushes.

I can kiss normally now, even passionately. Though sometimes I feel like a bracket scrapes a lip or tongue. :oops: My .... date ... has said he doesn't notice a difference in kissing me with braces than without them, so that's good. Talking on the other hand is difficult. Especially since I'm normally a fast talker. I stumble and slur a lot.

I have a cleaning today and my first adjustment is still over a month away. I use wax almost daily still, and usually sleep with it covering a couple/few brackets. I don't think I've swallowed any.

Mauvaise

#10 Post by Mauvaise »

Last night while cleaning after dinner I noticed that one of my bottom teeth that had appeared straighter seemed to be moving offline again. I looked closer and realized that the wire was no longer attached to the tooth. I could have sworn it was in the morning, but to be honest, I don't really know when it detached. I called the office and as luck would have it it was their late night, so I was able to schedule an appointment for lunch time to get everything back online.

I had to get the wire detaches from the rest of that side and reinserted, but it was over and done in under a minute with only minimal pain. The assistant started to get a wire tie to prevent the bracket door from opening again, but I asked if the rubber ligs would accomplish the same thing. I was told yes, so I decided to get hot pink ligs! I am going to my cousins wedding in a couple weeks (Black tie) and now my teeth are dressed up too (and will match my dress. Enough).

In looking at that picture and comparing my before pictures confirms that my right front tooth is lower than it used to be. Or the left one is higher. Either way, they aren't what they used to be. I gather from reading other people's journeys that's normal and there will be lots of moving around (some good, some bad) until it all settles into Good.

The assistant thinks the wire was detached longer than a day, and now that it's reattached I'm thinking she might be right because I'm experiencing soreness again. Of course part of that is the new tightness from the ligs (even though she did stretch most of them out a little bit before putting them (it hurt TOO MUCH to have them applied without stretching)).

Other oddness that I've noticed: I clench my teeth at night now. It's usually worse if I sleep with wax, but I've never been a clencher before; I wonder what it is about the braces that starts that?

olsonkd

#11 Post by olsonkd »

Glad to see someone else my age with braces. I get mine in 3 weeks and they are all metal. Also glad to see you can have fun with braces at our age!!

anngie27

#12 Post by anngie27 »

Hi, I came across your story and was wondering how things were going for you.

Mauvaise

#13 Post by Mauvaise »

anngie27 wrote:Hi, I came across your story and was wondering how things were going for you.
Hi!

Well, I'm about 9 months in and it's...going. I've been in power chains for quite some time (to close my extraction gaps). They are closing nicely on the bottom, slower on the top (which I'm told is typical). About 8 weeks ago at my 2nd to last adjustment I was put in elastics. I hated them, but wore them faithfully until about two weeks in my upper right canine started giving me the most excruciating pain. It became extremely sensitive to cold and even bushing my teeth or drinking room temp water caused sharp stabbing pains shooting through my root/nerve.

Unfortunately, this was "normal", but my ortho took pity on my and had me stop the elastics to see if that would help. Two weeks later I was ok. Of course last week I was put back in elastics. I started slowly and just today am in them 24/7 (except when eating & brushing teeth). I'm crossing everything that the nerve pain doesn't come back.

I'm tired of braces and hate the elastics and feel like I'm going to be in them forever. But, all in all, things are going well.

catgyrl

#14 Post by catgyrl »

I feel for ya, sister...

I know EXACTLY the type of pain you're having with your canine, because I had the same pain in my left canine. It's the one next to the extraction site, and has had some sort of mini-chain or elastic attached to it for almost 2 years now. It was so sensitive to cool/cold water, that I got into the habit of automatically turning on the hot water faucet to brush my teeth. Two years later, I find I still do that. Sometimes it even felt like someone was yanking on that one tooth; like, I could feel it moving by itself! The sensitivity isn't nearly as bad now, but it's still there. The hook and wing-tie on that bracket finally broke a couple weeks ago. (Well, to be honest, I might have helped it along by trying to eat corn on the cob), but I do also think that there's been so much pressure on that tooth (especially with the zigzag elastics), that it just gave out. I'm getting it replaced today.

Hang in there!! Elastics suck, but they really DO work miracles.

Mauvaise

#15 Post by Mauvaise »

Cathy,

That's what I was afraid of. That it's normal and it'll happen again. This time, however, if it does, I'm just going to suck it up and deal because I know the elastics are part of the treatment plan.

But I tell ya - it got to the point I'd start crying when I knew it was time to brush my teeth.