Spare Essix tight?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

xTc

Spare Essix tight?

#1 Post by xTc »

I was debraced about 2 months ago. I have been fitted with perm retainers upper and lower and essix upper and lower.

So far so good. Last app I asked if I could have a spare set made incase I lose my originals. My orth took moulds and sent them off. When they came back the lowers fit perfect but the uppers didn't, he took another mould and sent off for the uppers again. This time they seemed to fit but need really pushing in and they feel super tight and like they're applying a lot of pressure to my front teeth. Is this normal? I'm still wearing my original uppers at the moment but I'm just a bit confused as to why the new uppers are so tight..

TumbleDryLow

Re: Spare Essix tight?

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

That's interesting. I don't really have an answer for you, but I'm wondering if Essex retainers "stretch out" over time. (!) Maybe your old uppers have stretched a bit and your new ones haven't had the chance yet. I mean, they're retainers so they should retain and not change shape. But I always thought my Essex seemed a bit flimsy and marveled at the fact this little piece of plastic was going to hold my teeth in place.

Anyway, just throwing that out there. Maybe one of the Orthos will see this and comment.

xTc

#3 Post by xTc »

Well perhaps they do because of the constant friction of taking them in and out.. but what worries me is that these new retainers are supposed to be a mould of my teeth as they are now and when I put them in they are ridiculously tight and feel like they are putting a lot of pressure on my front teeth.. I dont get why they would feel like that. My originals still feel tight enough that they are keeping everything in place but they dont seem to cause anywhere near as much pressure on my teeth..

Itll be the 4th time in two weeks I will have been back and I really cant be assed going again but Ive paid £75 for these and I want them right.

TumbleDryLow

#4 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I agree. You should get this right.

I am due to visit my ortho (for the last time) in August. Coincidentally, I am also planning on asking her to make me a spare Essex. Just in case. I had a pretty complicated case and I will need to be diligent with retainer wear for life. I really don't want to be without a retainer for even a short amount of time.
I was actually wondering to myself if there would be any difference between the new and old retainer. Now I'm a bit worried.
I guess these things are made by hand, by a fallible human, so I suppose anything can happen in the lab. Hope you get this worked out.

1fifthmiles

#5 Post by 1fifthmiles »

TumbleDryLow wrote:I agree. You should get this right.

I am due to visit my ortho (for the last time) in August. Coincidentally, I am also planning on asking her to make me a spare Essex. Just in case. I had a pretty complicated case and I will need to be diligent with retainer wear for life. I really don't want to be without a retainer for even a short amount of time.
I was actually wondering to myself if there would be any difference between the new and old retainer. Now I'm a bit worried.
I guess these things are made by hand, by a fallible human, so I suppose anything can happen in the lab. Hope you get this worked out.
okay do get us informed. i want to know why too.

emmalou290

#6 Post by emmalou290 »

I'm wondering if the "stretching" is true. If so .. It gives me answers as well! My brand new essix hurts a little where as my old one is nice and comfy. I wonder if I stretched it and broke it in a little!

hotsteve

#7 Post by hotsteve »

There are quite a few stories I have read on here that retainers must be changed regularly, including with essix. If you have been wearing your old essix retainers for a while, it is possible they have stretched out over time, and your teeth have started to relapse.

Invisalign currently suggest (with their essix-style Vivera retainers) should be changed every 3-6 months! Pretty shocking (*ehem* expensive!) I know.

The other possibility of course is that simply the new essix was made slightly wrong, or got warped whilst in the post.

Either way hope it is all ok... best of luck :)