June Debrace Club!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

embraces

June Debrace Club!

#1 Post by embraces »

Got my debanding date yesterday for the 10th of June 2011! Will have been 2 years, 1 month and 16 days in total!

Getting Essix retainers!

Jen8626

Re: June Debrace Club!

#2 Post by Jen8626 »

Hey all! My D-Day is 22nd June! Having permanent retainers top and bottom plus essix retainers :D :rawk:

Lisa43947

#3 Post by Lisa43947 »

I haven't gotten my specific date yet but last time I saw my ortho I asked if they would be off in June and she said yes. I go back on May 25th and I'm really hoping she'll say they can come off next time I come in! She promised me that they would definitely be off by July.

I'm getting married in September and really want the braces off so we can go have engagement pictures taken.

magopa

#4 Post by magopa »

I will officially be fully de-braced on June 1st at 10:40am!!! My lower braces were already removed on May 18th, but there was a small space still left to close on my uppers. I visited the ortho this morning because I'd had a closing coil on for over a week now and there was still no progress made on the space closing so luckily he was able to squeeze me in and they put thread, a closing coil, and a closing power chain on me! He said with everything on, it would be closed by the 1st. I already have permanent upper and lower retainers and will be getting my Hawley then too. It's been quite a journey and I'll be glad to be out of these things once and for all!!!!

sammywantstraightteeth

#5 Post by sammywantstraightteeth »

14th June is the date for me.

Got an appointment on 21st June to check over my invisalign. My active treatment will have finished by then. I don't intend having refinements, so that should be it! I was so excited when I booked my appointment as instructed, that I didn't actually ask what he is doing on that day. Hopefully removing attachments and taking moulds for retainers.

Either way, my teeth officially finish moving on 14th June and my aligners become temporary retainers, so I'm counting that day as my date for joining the Naked Tooth Club. So excited!

Treatment started: 13th July 2010.
http://sammiesbraces.livejournal.com
http://pics.livejournal.com/sammiesbraces
Expected finish: 14th June 2011.
Upper Trays: 21
Lower Trays: 24

Sayrah

#6 Post by Sayrah »

I finally get mine off on June 20th after a little over 7 years :D I'm very, very excited, but kind of nervous too!

embraces

#7 Post by embraces »

I got my braces off a couple of hours ago! The dental hygenist did it and also scaling!

I guess I'm happy with the results however if I consider the minor details, one of my lateral incisors is a teeny bit rotated (they were my initial problematic teeth). Definitely have a perfect bite.

I have to wait till Wednesday to get my retainers which I'm kind of nervous about because without a doubt my teeth would have shifted and it'll be painful to put in the retainers but hopefully I can maintain my perfect bite/smile :) it was definitely worth the 2 years 1 1/2 months!

Jethro

#8 Post by Jethro »

I got mine off last week after a little over 2 and a half years! :dance: Got permanent retainers top and bottom, as well as essix for the bottom and hawley for the top. Woo-hoo!

emmajade22

#9 Post by emmajade22 »

June 15th - Tomorrow! Its like the night before christmas!

Sayrah, wow, 7 years?? I can't even imagine how excited you must be!

Xotaytayxo96

#10 Post by Xotaytayxo96 »

Got my braces off June 20!! Wearing an essix retainer at night. Bonded retainers on top and bottom :BigGrin:

Sayrah

#11 Post by Sayrah »

I got mine off yesterday, finally! It's been such a long journey, but it was so worth it because my teeth are straight and beautiful, and are hardly damaged even after such a long time.

However, I'm very unhappy with my retainer situation. I have an Essix on both top and bottom. I've been going to speech therapy for a tongue thrust since last year, and now that my teeth don't touch, I can feel my tongue trying to push out because my teeth are open in front when I wear them both. Not only that, but the top retainer pops off my front teeth when I bite down and my bottom one cuts into the gumline of one of my front teeth every time, and it's so painful that I want to cry whenever I have to put it back in. Also, both of my gumlines (top and bottom) have become very raw, red, and irritated. I think I'm going to call my orthodontist office tomorrow to see if there's anything alternative to do because I don't know how long I can tolerate my burning, inflamed gums and my tongue trying to push against my teeth to find some sort of resting place (and I'm not sure how normal all of this is).

Peg tooth (upper lateral incisor #10) & missing tooth (upper lateral incisor #7)
July 13, 2011 - Crown lengthening for peg tooth & bone graft for implant
March 2012 - Crown fit on peg tooth
June 2012 - Screw placed in jaw for implant
October 2012 - Implant set

Jethro

#12 Post by Jethro »

Congrats to all in the June Debrace Club!!!

Sayrah, by all means call your ortho asap to resolve the issues with your retainers as they should not be popping off and causing gum irritation. I have both an essix and a hawley, and while there are pros and cons to each type, both fit properly and don't cause gum irritation. Good luck, and again, CONGRATS!!! :jump: :jump:

Sayrah

#13 Post by Sayrah »

I called the orthodontist today and have an appointment tomorrow morning to get new molds made for a new Hawley retainer for my top teeth, due to the discomfort the Essix is causing me (and it's also caused my tongue thrust to try to redevelop and I'm breathing out of my mouth at night because my teeth don't meet anymore) and a permanent retainer for my bottom teeth because the Essix on my bottom teeth is cause my gums to become more irritated than they already were from the braces.

I know the Essix is more aesthetically appealing, but I'd rather than be able to have my teeth touch and feel like I can wear my retainers like I should rather than be uncomfortable and feel like my gums are irritated all the time, especially since I have to wear my retainers 24/7 for the first year.

Peg tooth (upper lateral incisor #10) & missing tooth (upper lateral incisor #7)
July 13, 2011 - Crown lengthening for peg tooth & bone graft for implant
March 2012 - Crown fit on peg tooth
June 2012 - Screw placed in jaw for implant
October 2012 - Implant set

Jen8626

#14 Post by Jen8626 »

Hey my braces came off on wed :-D really happy!! I have permanent retainer top and bottom, essix top and bottom as well that I wear 12/24 hours so evening and nights for first year :-) the latest thing I've found is that i still eat as if i have braces lol my teeth feel a little fragile still.

Very happy though :-D

sammywantstraightteeth

#15 Post by sammywantstraightteeth »

My invisalign attachments were all removed on the 21st June as I'd hoped, and my retainers ordered. Just phoned the ortho and they have arrived, wohoo! Going to collect them straight after work. Even though they aren't going to be that much different to the aligners which I've been wearing anyway, I'm still excited!

If anyone is reading who had Invisalign aaages ago - how long does a set of 'genuine invisalign retainers' last before it is no longer any good. And how can you tell when your retainer is no longer doing its job?

Treatment started: 13th July 2010.
http://sammiesbraces.livejournal.com
http://pics.livejournal.com/sammiesbraces
Expected finish: 14th June 2011.
Upper Trays: 21
Lower Trays: 24