Is eating optional after braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mslady919

Is eating optional after braces

#1 Post by mslady919 »

I just got my braces yesterday (regular metal). I was prepared for the pain and soreness but what I was not prepared for was my teeth not going together enough to chew even soft foods. I have been eating potatoes because I can mush them with my tongue. Did anyone elese experience this? How long should I expect this to go on?

Sandpiper

Re: Is eating optional after braces

#2 Post by Sandpiper »

Oh yes, very familiar! For me it lasted about a week, but although it improved after that, it was probably 2-3 weeks until things had significantly improved. Hang in there, it does get better! Best of luck.
471 days in braces

[/url]

stepher7

#3 Post by stepher7 »

It was also about 2-3 weeks for me to feel like I could chew normally again. I've read on a lot of threads here that your bite continues to be out of whack during the course of treatment, so don't be discouraged if you can start to chew normally in a couple of weeks and then your bite is off again down the road.

Nettie

#4 Post by Nettie »

I woke up hungry. I've read that if you want to avoid more pain/discomfort to stay with soup, yogurt, and other soft well diced items... but only for a few more weeks. I've been told we'll be eating like champs soon, until the next adjustment. In which case another few days of soft food.

time for some coffee through a straw :-9

catgyrl

#5 Post by catgyrl »

Nettie wrote:I woke up hungry. I've read that if you want to avoid more pain/discomfort to stay with soup, yogurt, and other soft well diced items... but only for a few more weeks. I've been told we'll be eating like champs soon, until the next adjustment. In which case another few days of soft food.

time for some coffee through a straw :-9
Hi Nettie!

As strange as this may sound, chewing food actually helps alleviate pain. At least, it does for me. I was having a mighty painful day once after an adjustment, and popped a couple of pieces of gum in. (Yes, I know it's on the no-no list, but I've never had problems with it sticking. If it ever does, I will stop.) I looked like a cow chewing its cud.... GOIN' TO TOWN chewing that gum! But after I was done... no more tooth pain!

Doesn't drinking staining things through a straw SUCK!? I drink a lot of soda, but when I'm at home, I don't use a straw. It just feels better to drink out of the cup, but I know I'm staining my ligs. :( Will keep trying the straw...

-Cathy

lilwinno

#6 Post by lilwinno »

[quote="mslady919"]I just got my braces yesterday (regular metal). I was prepared for the pain and soreness but what I was not prepared for was my teeth not going together enough to chew even soft foods. I have been eating potatoes because I can mush them with my tongue. Did anyone elese experience this? How long should I expect this to go on?[/quote]

I had some pain and soreness at first but now no pain just my teeth are sore. I have had my braces on for two weeks and im eating regular food for about a week now. At first you cant really chew anything but I guess it just depends on the pain tolerance of the person. Honestly, I just chewed through the pain now I guess my teeth are getting better on chewing. Im not really sure how long it will go on for, Im guessing it all depends on you. Hope your teeth feels better soon. =)

Crazy4Snow

#7 Post by Crazy4Snow »

OMG...I'm 9 weeks in now and I still can NOT touch my teeth together! It's sooooo annoying! I eat a lot of soups, pastas, yogurt, pudding and ice cream. I've lost 6 pounds, which is always a good thing right...I was on a diet before and this has nearly put me to my goal! (165 to 132, only 7 more lbs. to go)

I've come up with all kinds of interesting and tasty concoctions to keep food interesting because my ortho says it may be quite some time before my teeth clench together. For instance...I add lemon garlic chicken (shredded) to my broccoli cheese soup and I even add sharp cheddar cheese to it because it's never cheesy enough as it is. It's very filling, flavorful and satisfying.

PLAY WITH YOUR FOOD! Add lots of flavor to everything and chicken and fish is very easy to squish on the roof of your mouth. Even 9 weeks in, if I could chew I wouldn't...my teeth are still so freakin sore that I wouldn't dare put pressure on them by chewing. Freakin' OWWW!

Good luck to you and just keep looking forward to the day they "come together"...it will come.

My story in this forum:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38942

Braced: 4/7/2011
Metal Upper & Lower
Sentence: 18-24 months
Removal Date: 9/4/13

Robot Teeth

#8 Post by Robot Teeth »

Crazy4Snow, that's NOT what I want to hear!

Rach44

#9 Post by Rach44 »

It was about four days for me after I got my braces on, and about three after my first adjustment. I still ate softer foods, but I mashed them on the roof of my mouth. I hate my stupid bite blockers and I honestly don't chew my food nearly as well as I should. I just cut/tear everything into the tiniest pieces possible, especially right after an adjustment, but I am still able to eat pretty normally after a few days (I tried broccoli tonight and my back molars are hurting really badly for some reason right now - OUCH. The stalk is obviously way too hard. I think I basically swallowed it whole lol!) The ortho tech always suggests I get a milkshake and fries after my adjustments. I can do a milkshake, but my teeth are even too sensitive for fries after that. After my adjustments I survive on yogurt and SlimFast. Milkshakes are good, but way too many calories and not enough nutrients (for me anyway)! I love SlimFast (or any protein shake for that matter) because it has quite a bit of fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals. I wish I was better at making healthy smoothies, but they always taste horrible when I try! Someone suggested soup, which is a great option as well. Hopefully in a few more days your mouth is less sore and you'll be able to eat more normally. I also recommend rinsing with warm salt water - it provides a little bit of relief. Congrats on getting braced, by the way! I really hope the pain lessens for you soon. :D

Estimated Treatment Time: 30 Months

hanzie

#10 Post by hanzie »

took me a month or so to get completely used to eating with the braces.. at first i constantly felt like a mush mouth .. also using a water pik after eating helped me a great deal.. i eat normal now even after adjustments dont even notice the braces

anxiousgirl

#11 Post by anxiousgirl »

It took me a looong time to be able to eat solids. a month at least!!

I was living off icecream or weetbix with warm milk, or nothing pretty much (fussy eater here!)

I have lost 15 KILOS!!! and still loosing weight.. and ive been in braces 3 months 3 weeks now!

hang in there! if it gets really bad talk to your ortho. :)

braces on: 21/02/2011
lower braces off: 20/03/2013
upper braces off: 04/04/2013

Marigold

#12 Post by Marigold »

This subject line cracked me up. :)

Even after the soreness of adjustments goes away, I still can't chew well because my bite is so screwed up. It has definitely killed my love of eating. I never realized how much the act of chewing contributed to the enjoyment of eating. But I did shed a few pounds, so all is not lost.
Class II moderately deep overbite, mild crowding.
Braced on January 19, 2011. Debraced on December 16, 2013.
2 years, 11 months in braces.

gaz

#13 Post by gaz »

I can't remember having that much trouble before I adjusted to them to be honest. Maybe a week or two..?

sea54change

#14 Post by sea54change »

I remember those first 2-3 weeks after just getting bottom braces put on. The pain was so bad and my mouth was so sore, I lost 5 lbs without trying.

I've also heard that the more one brushes their teeth, the less one eats. Soemthing about brushing decreases your appetite.

Hang in there, it does get better, slowly but surely.

38Illinois

#15 Post by 38Illinois »

I've been in brace for almost 11 months and I still have trouble eating hard foods. I could not bite into an apple. Some meats are not possible. I tried to eat potato chips yesterday, and my teeth were too sore to chew them. Some people's soreness is worse than others. Braces suck.
Braces on July 31, 2010
Braces off November 1, 2011