had a "Kim" wire with your elastics?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kreyFL

Re: had a "Kim" wire with your elastics?

#16 Post by kreyFL »

PS...I saw this product posted by the admin on another page. I dont have the MEAW's yet so I just dont know if these would help or even work with those type of wires but wanted to post the link here as I think it is interesting!

http://www.dentakit.com/comfortbrace.html

Chicagogal, you have the wires...do you think these would fit over them?

Chicagogal

#17 Post by Chicagogal »

I was thinking about if that would work the moment lynn posted it. These wires are pretty rough on the mouth. I might need to see a real picture of these and not just the rendering in the add.

The worry with these is that they wouldn't extend enough to cover the harshest part of the kim wires which are the hooked ends. Not a super clear photo of mine, but this extends down pretty far past my gumline.
MEAW 6-1-11.jpg
If these do work on my MEAWs I'll be the first in line to buy these!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.

kreyFL

#18 Post by kreyFL »

Hey chicagogal!

I dont know if you saw my last post on the 1st page about questioning the hell outta my ortho last week or not. At first he said I would get them in 3 months and have to wear them "for the remainder of my treatment" so I asked..."How long will I be wearing these horrible things" and he said 10 months. When he realized that I tricked him and now know how long I have left (13 months) he says "WELL, it COULD be shorter or longer we just have wait and to see" Hahaha!

He also thinks he knows your ortho. :shock:

Anyhoo, did you get an update on how long you have to wear them?

I dont think those covers will work on these crazy wires. Based off of your pic they do go down pretty far on the gumline. They look to be the same size as the Crest Whitestrips which I HAVE used with my braces *just to see lol* and it barely covers my brackets.

Oh, and I will get elastics with my loopwires at the same time. :ThumbsDown:

However, seeing your pics and posts make it that much easier to swallow. Im actually a little bummed that I have to wait until Sept. to get them. The sooner I get the loops wires, the sooner I get debraced!

smilelikeyoumeanit

#19 Post by smilelikeyoumeanit »

I'm getting one of these in the future. I'm scared. It is weird that it's so hard to find info online. From what I understand, it's a relatively new technique. I have an adjustment today. Hopefully, I can get a better time table.

Chicagogal

#20 Post by Chicagogal »

smilelikeyoumeanit wrote:I'm getting one of these in the future. I'm scared. It is weird that it's so hard to find info online. From what I understand, it's a relatively new technique. I have an adjustment today. Hopefully, I can get a better time table.
I think it's technically been around since the 70's, but it's "new"er to the US and it just seems like it's relatively uncommon. Good luck!! Maybe you can steal Krey's trick for getting a timetable, that was awesometastic :thumbsup:

Krey, that would be wacky if our orthos knew one another separated by that kind of distance! But my ortho's name is Dr. Handelman (he may still be familiar, who knows) and he's right in the heart of Chicago. That would be some small worldness!

another tip for future MEAW wearers, don't get dehydrated! it might sound weird, but you'll wake up with some major dents in your poor little lips (inside of tehm) if you do. yowch! time for water.

kreyFL

#21 Post by kreyFL »

Hey! Okay I am pretty sure he said the ortho he knows was Dr. Drake or Chris Drake. I remember because when he said Dr. Drake all I could think of was Joey from Friends. :lol:

smilelikeyoumeanit: Looks like we are very similar with our brace dates. I am 8 months with uppers and 2.5 months with my lowers. I get the stupid crazy wires in September....I bet you are getting yours around that time as well? Keep us posted on your visit today! Do you have an open bite as well?

Chicago: I get that now a little bit, and had no idea it was a dehydration thing! As bad as I get the indents and scrapes now, I know its gonna be worse with the loops. Ahhhhhh! :crazy: I am gonna up my water intake and see if that helps.

smilelikeyoumeanit

#22 Post by smilelikeyoumeanit »

smilelikeyoumeanit: Looks like we are very similar with our brace dates. I am 8 months with uppers and 2.5 months with my lowers. I get the stupid crazy wires in September....I bet you are getting yours around that time as well? Keep us posted on your visit today! Do you have an open bite as well?
Yes, I'm thinking that I will be getting the wires sometime this summer. I was hoping earlier in the Summer rather than later, because this is my slower time at work. In the Fall, I do a lot of travel and public speaking which is going to be hard with the new wire. I have a deep bite and some minor alignment issues. My teeth have pretty much straightened out, which I'm so happy with! Now, we have to tackle the bite.

Fellini

#23 Post by Fellini »

Hey Chicagogal and kreyFL!

I'm from Austria and my journey to fix my open bite will start late July '11. From the conservative point of view, surgical treatment is recommended, but I fortunately found an orthodontist in my area focused on the multiloop treatment - so, luckily i will be able to avoid surgery! *yay*

When I first saw pictures of these wires, i was quite shocked and wondered how it's possible to brush teeth or to talk with them in ... so started researching online and found hardly anybody who is treated with this method - until i stumbles over this post with "kim wire" in the title and took notice of you two who are also in meaw wires! :D

Maybe you'd like to share your experiences with this very special treatment? How is the long-term stability of the occlusion after a non-surgical approach? Are those loops visible while talking and do they affect the speech?

Best wishes,
Fellini

PS: How do you insert smileys in this forum?

Chicagogal

#24 Post by Chicagogal »

I don't think any of us in this forum so far have completed our treatment with MEAW/Kim.

In fact, today was the big day for the top wire installation. I probably should wait to post since the experience wasn't exactly rainbows and sunshine (one of my bone plate extensions snapped off, yowcher!) but my mouth is now shoved full of metal and i'm dealing with it. not so bad now, but I know tomorrow is going to be a beast with eating. I have 4 elastics/rubber bands, you can see their placement in the photo. sidebar: man my midline is jacked up!
MEAW 6-21-11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fellini

#25 Post by Fellini »

thanx for your reply chicagogal.
ouch, this wire plus four elastics sounds heavy - i hope your are not in too much pain right now.
what is a bone plate extension?
do you feel a little bit better already after a few days of accustoming?
does all that metal affect the pronunciation of words in some way?

sorry for asking so many questions ... i postponed orthodontic treatment for years, now the beginning of this journey is only a few weeks ahead and i'm slightly nervous :/

good luck,
fellini

ps: i can't comment on your picture in the attachment yet, because as a newbie i can't access everything on the message board...

Chicagogal

#26 Post by Chicagogal »

Hi Fellini! Congrats on beginning the journey! It's one of those things I wanted but always put off as well. Better late than never. It's not always a picnic, but you'll see signs of progress along the way that'll give you a boost between the rough spots.

As for all that metal and rubber, it hasn't affected my pronunciation all that much but I do have to speak more deliberately instead of my fast talking mumble that I usually have. Not terribly painful, but any random morning you can wakeup with a different sore spot, just the name of the game this too shall pass right?

and for krey and any others nervous about this torture device, here's what 6 days in full MEAW w/ elastics did for my bite (sorry, hope this isn't becoming an annoying "ra ra chicagogal thread") first time my front teeth have ever overlapped in my life!
MEAW First 6 Days.JPG

Chicagogal

#27 Post by Chicagogal »

Krey, is this your ortho? when I was doing more MEAW research I came upon this website http://www.jupitersmileon.com/treatment-options.php they say they are one of two in florida (or south florida) that do it.

Fellini

#28 Post by Fellini »

Congratulations - it's great to hear what this wire is doing to you teeth Chicagogal!

Chicagogal

#29 Post by Chicagogal »

smilelikeyoumeanit wrote:
Yes, I'm thinking that I will be getting the wires sometime this summer. I was hoping earlier in the Summer rather than later, because this is my slower time at work. In the Fall, I do a lot of travel and public speaking which is going to be hard with the new wire. I have a deep bite and some minor alignment issues. My teeth have pretty much straightened out, which I'm so happy with! Now, we have to tackle the bite.
Smile, did you ever get this done? It was really tough to go through work with this, but I will say that it really has done amazing stuff so hopefully you're doing ok!