Can Hawley retainers be loosened up?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

moshpie

Can Hawley retainers be loosened up?

#1 Post by moshpie »

When I first got retainers I complained to my orthodontist that they were too loose (really dumb thing to do, you live you learn) so he tightened them up, at first I didn't notice anything different, but now they are starting to give a slight pain from the tightness, can they be loosened up again?

TumbleDryLow

Re: Can Hawley retainers be loosened up?

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I don't have Hawley's but I assume that if he tightened them, they can be loosened.
I will say that my retainers (Essex) still make my teeth a bit sore when I first put them on at the end of the day, although the soreness is usually very short lived--like maybe 5-10 min.

moshpie

#3 Post by moshpie »

thanks, i guess i'll give him a call

retainergirl4life

#4 Post by retainergirl4life »

I would think they can be loosened, but after you wear them as much as possible for a week you should have no more pain. I wear my hawleys 24/7 and when they get tightened t they hurt for a bit but with no time at all, you should be all good:)