Braces removed yesterday and I have a question.

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lindesd

Braces removed yesterday and I have a question.

#1 Post by lindesd »

I just noticed that it is very very easy to floss. I mean hardly any effort at all to get floss in between my teeth. Where as before with the braces on, it was more difficult. Do you think this is the beginning of gaps trying to open or, is it supposed to be a little bit more loose without the braces on. I don't really know what to expect. I am wearing the Essix retainer. Also, I have heard conflicting info on retainer care. Can I or can not drink with them in. And, how do I clean them.

lilfoot1112

Re: Braces removed yesterday and I have a question.

#2 Post by lilfoot1112 »

Hey Lindesd, I to just got my braces of yesterday Yay us :-* no you dont have a gap opening it just that there no more pressure from the braces that all I had the same fear yesterday afternoon I got them off in the morning and I had to pick my retainer up that night and that was the first thing I asked my ortho cause flossing was sooooooo easy :D :D :D :D I was told I can only drink water with my essix and to brush them with a soft tooth brush and cool water and I if I feel the need I can us Efferdent Denture Cleaner. Congratulation on getting your braces off :-* :-*

I had my braces on for 3 years 4 months and 24 days that would be a grand total of 1220 days

lindesd

#3 Post by lindesd »

Thanks lilfoot1112. I was getting VERY scared for a minute. I wore mine for 3 years and 3 months to the very day. I would have been horrifed after all that time if there were to be a relapse. By the way, how did your deband experience go? I didn't think it was that bad. My teeth felt extremely slimey though! LOL! Also, Even though I am VERY pleased with the outcome, I think it is going to take some time to get used to the new look. Know what I mean.

UGHBRACES

#4 Post by UGHBRACES »

Your teeth are setting and will be for quite some time. Flossing was loose for me at first as well.

For cleaning the retainer. I have hawley but I can't see cleaning being different. Whenever I take my retainer out, I run it under water and scrub with my fingers until there is no more slimy saliva feeling. I soak it once daily in water with a cleaner start with a P, and rhymes with mollydent(site has the brand blocked). They make tabs specifically for retainers that I bought at walmart. Whenever my retainer isn't in my mouth, its in a cup of water(rinse before putting it in). I have never had to put a toothbrush to them and they are still spotless after 7 months. I think the reason why is my retainer is never dry so any residual plaque that I may have missed never gets the chance to harden.

lilfoot1112

#5 Post by lilfoot1112 »

Welcome :D wow you and I were really neck and neck with getting them on and off lol :lol: debanding wasnt to bad it was a very interesting wound'nt want to go throw it again lol Oh My God yes your so right about the slimey feeling lol :D same here Im so pleased what my ortho. he truly gave me my smail back Im so happy I even cry when I saw them after them came off :D I was just so happy. Your so right it is going to take some getting use to. when I look in the mirror I think to my self is that really me lol do you feel the same way? or am I just wierd lol :D

I had my braces on for 3 years 4 months and 24 days that would be a grand total of 1220 days