orotho appointment from hell

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

GRILLZ

orotho appointment from hell

#1 Post by GRILLZ »

i guess we all have one sooner or later. i went in for what should have been a 15-20 minute adjustment turned into an hours and a half ordeal. i think i had a 'new' ortho assistant. she gouged me a few times trying to get the old wire out/open the brackets. but then she put the wrong wire in (too big up a jump up in strength)....i thought this might be the case as i felt like i was going to die the moment she put the wire in, it was that tight. but luckily she broke one of my molar brackets off in the process and so when the ortho came over to see what was going on......i heard him quietly correcting her about what she should have put in and how she needed to have done this. he then proceeded to take over and reverse her botched job. they also put on a big big power chain, spanning canine to canine......i have the worst headache i've ever had. i'm back at work and trying to concentrate on working instead of the total ache i have from the shoulders on up. should have taken ibuprofen pre appointment but didn't. didn't eat before either.......so i'm in great shape now! :jokerlaugh:

nifer237

Re: orotho appointment from hell

#2 Post by nifer237 »

That's a shame. Sorry to hear you had to go through that...I always wonder if they know what they're doing too. I have a "team" where I sometimes get different people with each visit and the one girl was always going "Oh darn" or "Shoot" when she was installing or removing my wire. That's never good to hear.

TinySmiley

#3 Post by TinySmiley »

sorry to hear about your bad ortho appointment, GRILLZ. I've had a few bad ones too, I've left the office feeling like a zombie after a lot of poking and pulling in my mouth.
I'm constantly bringing things up/pointing obvious things out to the dental hygentist, it's actually annoying-they are supposed to be the professionals, not me.
Invisalign: September 2009-May 2011
Ceramic Braces: May 2011-December 2011

Chicagogal

#4 Post by Chicagogal »

yeah, I cried for the first time at my appointment 5 weeks ago. it was the first time i'd ever said "ow" out loud and told him he might have to stop. I was so embarassed :oops: not that I should've been, I just usually deal with the pain!
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.

GRILLZ

#5 Post by GRILLZ »

i heard ortho tell her she left one of the brackets open, and some other things i could't hear. he did not look too happy. i wouldn't be suprised if she isn't there when i have my next appointment. at least she kept apologizing for hurting me/screwing up......that makes it not hurt as much somehow than if they are cavalierly ripping you to shreds w/ o a word. i actually felt sorry for her......i would have died were i in her shoes....

i had asked for blue rubber bands and ortho ended up putting on grey ones on the bottom (he didn't know i wanted blue ones), she (assistant) asked me if wanted her to change them out to blue, i thanked her but i had to get to work and to be honest i was afraid she's screw up what he had just done.

Snowglobe32

#6 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I have an appointment scheduled for Friday and I just thought to myself, "I hope I don't get that one lady!"

Bad adjustments can be bad. The dreaded assistant at my office is always saying that she is having a bad day or is off her game...I think to myself, "Ahhh, you are like this all the time!"

If I get her again on Friday or even better if she isn't there, I am going to mention something to the head assistant. I am sure I am not the only one who has had issues with her.

Do you drink soda? Maybe some caffine might help with the headache. Good Luck!

Crazy4Snow

#7 Post by Crazy4Snow »

Y'all are scaring the crap outta me...my first adjustment is in May.

My story in this forum:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38942

Braced: 4/7/2011
Metal Upper & Lower
Sentence: 18-24 months
Removal Date: 9/4/13

GRILLZ

#8 Post by GRILLZ »

crazy4snow.....don't be scared. my first two adjustments went like a charm, no problems whatsoever. ......i'm sure yours will be good as well! fingers crossed! :wink:

Chicagogal

#9 Post by Chicagogal »

I agree, the first couple adjustments were a breeze! It's what made me thought i was impervious to tears...oh well :-((
haha.

good assistants are THE BEST. they can change a horrible appointment into a not so horrible one (or vice versa).
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.

Crazy4Snow

#10 Post by Crazy4Snow »

Thanks Grillz!

My story in this forum:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38942

Braced: 4/7/2011
Metal Upper & Lower
Sentence: 18-24 months
Removal Date: 9/4/13

drgnchsr36

#11 Post by drgnchsr36 »

eep, sorry to hear that it was so harsh :(

I'm always afraid to get different people at my different appointments. So far, I've had the same one twice and a different person the third time. I'll be curious as to see who is there on Thursday when I get my bottom brackets. Hopefully the same person who did my top brackets. I'm also wondering if it's cuz of the schedule. I tend to make my appointments at the same time, same day.

llehsal

#12 Post by llehsal »

I can co-sign here. My appointments now seem to be a tad bit worse than they use to be in the earlies. I usually leave the chair sweating because many times my teeth are still achey from the last adjustment. I am still to get use to adjustments.

Shelby's Braces Story - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35311

Foxsong

#13 Post by Foxsong »

Eep! My first adjustment's coming up in the beginning of June. :shock: I'm going to keep telling myself not to worry, because my ortho's got only one assistant, and she's been with him for something like ten years, and she's been great so far... if she had been awful I'm sure he would have sent her packing by now!
Braced on 4-11-11
Progress pics: http://www.photobucket.com/bracesprogress

jensceana73

#14 Post by jensceana73 »

Clearly, you haven't read my posts.

I went through this for awhile....till I decided to grow some...um....lovely "bulbs" :lol: :lol: :lol: (you be the interpreter of that one) and finally tell the receptionist....I no longer....wished to have...what I called "Nurse Hatchet". And let me tell you...it was by far, the smartest thing I have yet to do, in regards to ortho visits.

Where I go, there are about 5 or 6 tech's, assistants, whatever their called. So, each time...I could quite possibly, get someone different. For a while that is, till you've gone through all of them. Well, in the beginning I had a couple different one's that were really good. And um, what's the word I'm looking for here.....been there awhile, veterans. So they were really good and knew just what to do, to make it much more comfortable for you, me, us...the poor saps sitting in the chair.

Well then I started getting "Nurse Hatchet" and holy mother of GOD, she was terrible. TERRIABLE. I'm not exaggerating here. TERRIABLE. But, I thought..."be tough", "stick it out", "little kids have her", until....the day she about killed me. Now, this was after having her like 4 or 5 times...IN A ROW. I got to be where I was dreading even going. So right before my appointment, my husband was like "why the heck are you putting up with this?" "You wouldn't from any other professional?" He was right. So I had decided that if I got her, and it was bad....I was going to say something. I was a bit worried about making her feel bad, but....BUT...by the time I said something that day, she had just about killed me with pain. I had sweat dripping down my forehead, my back, between my boobatrons, and...um...other places. That, is how much pain she caused me. I couldn't take it any longer. I said something to her, AND.... the receptionist, when I was finished. No longer, NO FLIPPIN LONGER was I to ever, EVER have her again. And, I haven't, and.....I have not had one. Not one single appointment that has caused me the pain, like she did. Either their good.....or their not. And the one's that are good.....PRAISE THEM, because it...makes....a difference as to how YOUR experience during that visit, will go.

Say something right away. RIGHT AWAY. I've had some really tough things done to me, in the sense that the ortho has TOLD me, this is going to hurt, or be painful, or be tough. And not one single time since I said something has it been bad. WHY? Because these other girls know how, and where to put the pressure. How, and when to be more gentle. And, gee...I don't know, cause their F-ING smarter than that d-u-m-b-a-s-s I had..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All I'm saying is, don't wait to say something. Heck, you can even request a certain person if you feel really comfortable with them. They totally understand. Plus...your paying an a-s-s-l-o-a-d of money. You should get top notch treatment. PERIOD.
If God wanted me to have straight teeth, he would have made my parents rich..or so I was told....

Click Image to view my SAGA

goodteethby2013

#15 Post by goodteethby2013 »

I have also told the office manager/scheduler who I will not have as my tech for appointments. I noticed that the first one I complained about is no longer employed there. Speak up and good luck!