My Braces at 54, with pics

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sjeanine

My Braces at 54, with pics

#1 Post by sjeanine »

Hi I joined about 3 weeks ago, but couldnt figure out how to post pics.. My son helped me and here are the photos so far. The top one was taken the day the braces were put on.. And the second was taken at three weeks, after two teeth were pulled (top, behind the canines) and after my first adjustment. I cant see any change yet.

54 years old when braced...Dec 27, 2010
Ceramics on top and bottom teeth with metal behind canines
two teeth were pulled (top, behind canines)

GRILLZ

Re: My Braces at 54, with pics

#2 Post by GRILLZ »

sjeannine! thanks so much for posting pictures. i disagree....i think there is some difference...less crowding in the front...

lilone

#3 Post by lilone »

I also agree that there is change. The wire is straighter so those two laterals must be starting to get in line. Congrats!

sjeanine

#4 Post by sjeanine »

Thanks, I don't have a lot to say but wanted to use this thread for keeping track of my own progress with pics.

In the beginning, I wasn't sure if I even really needed braces. All of my family thought I was being taken advantage of, as far as my dentist recommending them since they didn't see my smile/teeth as being bad. Now, as I look at the pics, I think I probably should have had them years ago and my family was just used to how I looked...plus, who really thinks about someone else's teeth anyway...

When I look at my front teeth, I can tell that one tooth is longer than the other and one tooth next to the front is sideways....the x-rays show that tooth looking really turned in the roots and overcrowded. I had two teeth pulled...a little scared about that decision since, at my age, you feel lucky if you have your own teeth...let alone letting someone pull two perfectly good teeth! Nearly all of my teeth behind my canines are crowns but, the two teeth that were pulled were the only two teeth that were not . I know that the one taken by the tooth that was turned will fill in but, I am worried about why they took the tooth on the other side, where there was no sign of crowding...I am concerned about that side filling in and/or being left with some big gaps!

My bottom teeth were perfectly straight and in line so I did ask the ortho why he needed to brace those and he said he just automatically braces all the teeth...even if they dont need it because he uses the bottom braces to help anchor the top?? I never went for any consults....This ortho was highly recommended to me and I was referred to him by my dentist...yes, by the very man who told me I looked like "Bucky Beaver" and needed to consider braces if I wanted to have a great smile. Why did I trust a guy who could never get me numb enough when I needed a filling, crown, etc....?? Good question...anyway, for what it's worth I did get the braces but then I found another "more gentle" dentist to start going to.

I pray I made the right decision for getting braces and I dont end up losing all my teeth by the time they come off....Here's my newest pics....not much change and I still have two very big gaps! I do notice that one of the wires is straighter so it must be doing something but I cant see any change at all in the crooked tooth. Wonder how long it will take to straighten??? I am not good at posting pics/resizing, etc. so it's hard to tell with this pic cuz I see that I got it so small that the details are not as clear....I may have my son help me later to try and post a bigger and clearer pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sjeanine

#5 Post by sjeanine »

My teeth after 2 mth adjustment...Feb 25th....chains were added to the top from the canines to the first molar. My right side has already come down and lined up. I think the left looks the same and the top front tooth seems even shorter to me! I sure hope all this straightens out soon! I'm a bit worried right now.

jensceana73

#6 Post by jensceana73 »

No need to worry. Braces have a way of making our teeth/smile look a lot worse....before...BA BAMMMM.....beautifullllnesss happens!!! Looking good.... :thumbsup:
If God wanted me to have straight teeth, he would have made my parents rich..or so I was told....

Click Image to view my SAGA

sjeanine

Re: My Braces at 54, with pics...4 mth update pics

#7 Post by sjeanine »

Here's my 4 mth update pic! ; ) I can definitely see differences now and am so happy that things are moving along...just wish it could all go faster! lol I hope that top tooth will eventually come down to be even with the other one! I had them put colored bands for Easter on the bottom...at my son's request!
My teeth after 4 mths in braces2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

klobird

#8 Post by klobird »

Hi Jeanine!!

I am 55 and I just got my braces on Friday--I really hope mine have improved as much as yours in 5 months--your smile is looking fantastic!!!

So, how long are you going to have braces? What kinds of comments have you experienced so far? For me, the feedback has been way more positive than I would have expected...I'm just wondering because of our age....

sjeanine

#9 Post by sjeanine »

Congratulations on making that big step too, klobird! Thanks for the compliment on my smile! I just wish that front tooth would come down quicker! Ugh! Patience...I know...lol I got my braces at the end of December, last year. Nobody really seems to notice or if they do, they havent said anything. I was so self conscience at first too....Really, the only negative comments have come from my own family members! My sister didnt think my teeth were bad enough to warrant braces and my bro-in-law thought the ortho just found a sucker basically to make money off of but, now that I'm actually seeing the differences in the photo's, I am so happy that I got them. My other bro-in-law said, "I thought you were supposed to get that done when you were a kid!" I replied that I wasnt in control of that decision as a kid and once I was grown, I just didnt have ortho insurance until recently! I told him that I didnt think age had anything to do with wanting to get your teeth fixed! Geez, and he's at the doctor almost weekly for checkups, etc....Lol I say, consider the source.

I'm always so excited when it is time for my ortho appt cuz I know that it means more progress will be happening....I just had a bigger wire put on at my last visit...and a chain taken off....where they were trying to pull teeth over a gap I had from having a tooth pulled. I go again in two weeks and am anxious to see what comes next! ; ) It only hurts for a few days afterwards...tender mostly but, no pain, no gain, right?! ; ) Good luck to you and do yourself a big favor and make sure you get a waterpik!! I'd be lost without mine! Take care and I'll be looking forward to hearing and seeing your progress too!

sjeanine
klobird wrote:Hi Jeanine!!

I am 55 and I just got my braces on Friday--I really hope mine have improved as much as yours in 5 months--your smile is looking fantastic!!!

So, how long are you going to have braces? What kinds of comments have you experienced so far? For me, the feedback has been way more positive than I would have expected...I'm just wondering because of our age....

Crazy4Snow

#10 Post by Crazy4Snow »

Wow, what a difference! It's so exciting to see them moving, even if it's barely noticeable but yours at 4 months are REALLY noticeable! Can't wait to get to my 4th month...I'm still 4 days shy of 1 month! :lol: Long way to go for me.

My story in this forum:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38942

Braced: 4/7/2011
Metal Upper & Lower
Sentence: 18-24 months
Removal Date: 9/4/13

sjeanine

#11 Post by sjeanine »

It's been almost 6 months since my braces were put on, so I thought I'd post an updated picture.

laura5535

#12 Post by laura5535 »

I'm new to this brace site and braces myself. I've had braces on for three weeks now and I feel so ugly and my family thinks I am basically stupid for doing this. People ask me why I got braces and it just kinodof throws me off. I have lots of anxiety about all of this turning out okay but I do like my ortho and trust him. Your teeth are looking good -- keep up the good attitude.

Dressy1

Re: My Braces at 54, with pics...4 mth update pics

#13 Post by Dressy1 »

sjeanine wrote:Here's my 4 mth update pic! ; ) I can definitely see differences now and am so happy that things are moving along...just wish it could all go faster! lol I hope that top tooth will eventually come down to be even with the other one! I had them put colored bands for Easter on the bottom...at my son's request!
My teeth after 4 mths in braces2.jpg
It will come down, that is easy. Your ortho is still working on your arches. And you still have a very thin flexible wire. No reason to worry.

ladysable

#14 Post by ladysable »

No reason to feel ugly. We're all going thru this with each other. Just a short while and you will start noticing a movement and soon you will be so excited to study your teeth. If no one understands, it's ok. You have taken this on for yourself. :wink:

Green~Tara

#15 Post by Green~Tara »

Wow those are amazing results!