Bad Breath only AFTER remove aligners to eat

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

invisibraces

Bad Breath only AFTER remove aligners to eat

#1 Post by invisibraces »

I've had invisalign for 3 weeks now. For the first 2 weeks, my cleansing process included flossing twice a day, brushing after meals, rinsing with Colgate Phos-Flur once a day, cleaning aligners with RetainerBrite every night, and brushing aligners with toothbrush and soap prior to insertion.

By the third week, I did everything the same except I started soaking in RetainerBrite every other night as opposed to every night.

Well, last night, after I took my aligner off to eat, my brother told me some wretched smell is coming from me and when I asked if it's my breath he said he doesn't know, just knows I smell bad :(.

Then today he didn't comment on my smell or anything, but after I went to take my aligners off again and sat next to him at the table he told me once again that I smell really bad. We ate for an hour and after the meal I asked if my breath still smells and he says it does. I was shocked that my breath still smells even after one hour.

I think it most likely relates to my breath and I think the bad breath actually happens only when I don't have my aligners off. It seems the aligners trap the smell in my mouth and when I take them out the smell is released. Ew. This is really distressing since all my life I've never had any issues with my breath. This is the first time my brother or anyone else complained about my breath.

Anyone with similar experience? How can this be fixed???

bbsadmin

Re: Bad Breath only AFTER remove aligners to eat

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

invisibraces wrote:I've had invisalign for 3 weeks now. For the first 2 weeks, my cleansing process included flossing twice a day, brushing after meals, rinsing with Colgate Phos-Flur once a day, cleaning aligners with RetainerBrite every night, and brushing aligners with toothbrush and soap prior to insertion.

By the third week, I did everything the same except I started soaking in RetainerBrite every other night as opposed to every night.

The problem is probably that you're not using the Retainer Brite every night. It kills bacteria that cause the smell. Brushing them with toothpaste or soap won't accomplish that.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

ohioinvisguy

#3 Post by ohioinvisguy »

I used Retainer Brite everyday when I first started wearing invisalign. I think it is a waste of money. A good cleaning with an electric toothbrush and toothpaste accomplishes the same thing, or at least for me it does. Using the aforementioned routine, I never have any foul smell from the aligners or breath (I have asked my friends to verify this since you cant smell your own bad breath most of the time). My advice would be to save the money you spend on retainer cleaner and buy a good electric toothbrush. Then use it to clean the aligners. Also, I brush my tongue with each cleaning as well. That may be some of your problem. Hope this advice helps!
Check out my Invisalign Bog at http://invisalignadventure2010.blogspot.com/

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

A toothbrush will scratch the aligners and clear retainers. Also, toothpaste doesn't kill bacteria that can collect on aligners or retainers.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

ohioinvisguy

#5 Post by ohioinvisguy »

I beg to differ with you bbsadmin, but while some toothpaste/toothbrushes will possibly scratch aligners (probably a firmer bristle brush with toothpastes containing ingredients such as baking soda possibly), others will not! I have used a Sonicare toothbrush in combination with both Colgate Total Whitening and Sensodyne ISO-Active with no problems scratching the aligners. I still say Retainer Brite is a WASTE of money!! Plus think about the additional chemicals you are soaking your aligners in versus toothpaste that is made to go in your mouth!

As for killing the bacteria on aligners, it seems pointless to be overly concerned with this since your mouth is rife with bacteria. Yes I agree you need to effectively remove any build up of dried saliva or food particles that accumulate on the aligners from ineffective teeth cleaning.

One thing the poster might want to consider is the possibility that a filling (if they have any) may be loose. For several months prior to my last dental cleaning, I noticed a foul taste/odor immediately after I removed my bottom aligner. I didnt give it much thought until I went to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned. I was told I had a loose filling that needed replaced. After the filling was redone, the problem disappeared immediately and completely. It might be something worth looking into if no other remedy can be found.

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

I beg to differ, and so does this recent study:

Study Finds Potentially Pathogenic Microbes Growing on 50% of Retainers

Researchers at the UCL Eastman Dental Institute, London, have found that insufficient cleaning could allow build-up of microbes on orthodontic retainers. The study found potentially pathogenic microbes growing on at least 50% of the retainers it looked at. The findings have been published in the Society of Applied Microbiology’s journal Letters in Applied Microbiology.

For the study, the researchers took samples from the mouths of people without retainers and those wearing either of the two most widely used types. They were looking for microbes which are not normally found in the oral cavity, with particular interest in Candida (a type of yeast) and Staphylococcus (including MRSA).

The team, lead by Jonathan Pratten , PhD, found that species of these microorganisms were present on 66.7% and 50% of retainers respectively, regardless of the retainer type. These microbes were also present on the interior cheeks and tongue of retainer wearers.

Candida and Staphylococcus rarely cause problems in healthy individuals, but are potentially highly problematic in people with a compromised immune system. The bacteria on the retainers live in biofilms, which are communities of bacteria living together covered in a layer of slime. Once these biofilms form they are very difficult to remove and often have high levels of resistance to antimicrobials.

The researchers point out that hygiene is key to reducing the transmission of these bugs. Anyone handling a retainer should wash his or her hands before and after use, and employ careful tooth brushing followed by rinsing the mouth with mouthwash.

ohioinvisguy

#7 Post by ohioinvisguy »

bbsamin - My point of disagreement was with your statement that a toothbrush would scratch aligners.

As for your posted study about what can grown and be found on aligners, I guess I'm not that OCD to feel that I need to disinfect my aligners. Keeping them clean and free of dried saliva suffices for me. When I did use Retainer Brite, it didnt effectively remove all the dried gunk/saliva even with a sonic cleaner. That is why I say stick to toothpaste and an electric toothbrush, they sparkle afterwards and NO bad breath whatsoever!!

ithurtstosmile

#8 Post by ithurtstosmile »

Ooo my, this is something I worry about. I've *always* brushed my tongue since I was young, and never had issues with bad breath or dry mouth. I also drink a lot of water, so when I read people commenting on odors and such because of build up and whatever else, I wondered if this happens over time, or what?

I don't use any special cleaner or toothbrush, but I've only had my aligners for 5 days :P On the 3rd day, before putting them in after my first real meal since I started wearing them, I notice a slight cloudiness. I scrubbed those babies and rinsed them again and they looked fine. After reading online about other people's routines, I began to rinse and let them sit in water while I ate, and took care to thoroughly clean my molars (that's where the aligners were cloudy).

So far, this has been working for me. It's very annoying to pop them off, floss, scrub, rinse, and do the whole shebang *every* time I eat something, though! I suspect a side-effect will be me losing weight purely because I won't have the determination go through all that every time I want to eat something, so I don't have rotten teeth. :cry: