Do your teeth move right after adjustment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracebrace

Do your teeth move right after adjustment?

#1 Post by bracebrace »

I noticed that my teeth moved within a few hours or right away after adjustments. Usually the changes are ~1mm between my front teeth. The movements are either visible or flossing gaps that disappeared.

Is this speed too fast and may hurt my teeth (root)?

Thanks in advance!

VA5

Re: Do your teeth move right after adjustment?

#2 Post by VA5 »

A lot of movement you might be seeing is tilting of the teeth.. not actual tooth root movement. So, I don't think anything is being harmed. I have this happen to my teeth too... usually it kind of settles back towards where it was before.. I even see changes from day to night, and then in the morning it looks like there is progress, and then again thorughout the day it seems to backtrack a little.

Emmauk

#3 Post by Emmauk »

Hi

I asked my ortho specifically about how safe it is for teeth to move quickly last week.

He commented on how quickly mine were all moving which immediately got me worried so i asked the question is it safe for them to move so quickly, he said it's absolutely fine for the teeth to move quickly whilst under light pressure. I have only been in braces 3-4 months so am still in very light wires he said that its very hard to damage teeth at this early stage. Typically the problems occur when too much force is put on too quickly but he did say its surprising how much pressure can be used safely.

Where are you into treatment?

bracebrace

#4 Post by bracebrace »

Thanks VA5 and Emmauk!!

I'm in the 8th month of treatment. I have my third set of wires and "c-chain" since the 5th month of treatment, and just started (one) rubber band last Friday.
It does make sense that it's tilting - I saw a particular tooth went back to its "old" position this time.

My ortho did say "this is a safe speed" when I asked him back in January, yet it still shock me when I saw the >1mm space disappeared soon after my adjustment last Friday. Thanks for giving me peace of mind. I guess I should try harder to get more explanations from my ortho. :D

ivo6794

#5 Post by ivo6794 »

they can move because the teeth get loose once the braces are on for a while

Takako

#6 Post by Takako »

My teeth FLEW through my mouth when I first got braces! Whoosh! One tooth literally shot up at least a centimeter in 4-8 weeks! I could almost stare in the mirror and watch them move lol. It's totally normal in the beginning of treatment!

Now I'm at the end of treatment and I swear my teeth swapped out for their mule cousins! Stubborn!

sarahorsomeone

#7 Post by sarahorsomeone »

I had a 12mm overjet my first time around with braces and it wasn't unusual to get about 1mm a day movement for the first few days after adjustments or increases in elastic strength. I don't think it caused any problems other than pain and the inconvenience of having to have my wires trimmed regularly (inbetween scheduled appointments) from where they'd started poking me in the back of the mouth. Even know, with my years of staring at my teeth in the mirror, I can usually notice a difference within a few hours of having anything done, particularly when elastics are involved.