Braces r off!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

UGH!NOTAGAIN

Braces r off!

#1 Post by UGH!NOTAGAIN »

and now im wearing retainers : (

i just wanted to know how long you had to wear ur retainer after ur braces were off?

i hate speaking with these things lol :crazy:

TumbleDryLow

Re: Braces r off!

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

For me personally, 24/7 for a year then nights for life.
You'll get used to speaking in them. I hated my retainer at first too, but now I feel weird if I don't have it in.

Takako

#3 Post by Takako »

If you were braced after puberty, then you wear retainers for as long as you want your teeth to be straight! Adults have a high chance of relapse. I've been told that when I do get retainers, it will be 24/7 for a certain amount of time, and then at night for the rest of my life - or until I want crooked teeth again!

sammywantstraightteeth

#4 Post by sammywantstraightteeth »

I've been told 24/7 for a while, then down to nightly (Gonna ask for more detail pretty soon, 3 months away from joining the Naked Tooth Club!). He thinks that after a while I should be able to reduce it to 2 or 3 nights a week, but I'd have to carefully increase the time in between using it to find out how long I can get away with.

Honestly, after 22/7 invisalign and all that comes with it, I think wearing something every night for the rest of my life will be fine. And if I can get away with forgetting for a night here and there, even better :)

Treatment started: 13th July 2010.
http://sammiesbraces.livejournal.com
http://pics.livejournal.com/sammiesbraces
Expected finish: 14th June 2011.
Upper Trays: 21
Lower Trays: 24