How does root resorption happen?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

broochie

How does root resorption happen?

#1 Post by broochie »

Just curious. I know that it's not advisable to put heavy archwires on the teeth to quickly and that the progression in archwires must be slow because otherwise it might result in root resorption, but I would like to understand exactly what happens in the teeth/roots and how.
I am betting that Meryaten, with all her knowledge, will jump in with the answer... Or maybe others ? Perhaps Dr Rick ?
Thanks in advance for those who can enlight me on this.

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

I found this on pubmed. Seems to say that there is a very fine line between bone remodelling and root resorption:

Orthodontically induced root resorption is the most frequent unwanted side effect of orthodontic tooth movement that is unavoidable. This is due to the fact that both bone remodelling and root resorption are based upon a sterile inflammatory process, initiated by force application. In addition to individual factors that have a bearing on the amount of resorption, the type and magnitude of orthodontic forces play a major role. In animal and human experiments it could be shown that continuous forces, as produced by materials with pseudo- elastic characteristics, seem to produce more resorptions than discontinuous forces. Recent research shows that the magnitude of the orthodontic force up to 200cN is probably not decisive for root resorption
Weiland F.
Dept. of Orthodontics, Graz Dental School, Austria.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

Wow Maryaten, that's some awesome research!

There's a lot of information in that link you posted, I love the science of orthodontics so I'll enjoy reading some of it!

I also agree with you in that I would love to hear from Dr Rick or Rory about this as well.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

broochie

#4 Post by broochie »

jennielee81 and Meryaten, thanks ! Your information is very helpful !
I too love reading that kind of stuff ! Not only do I learn new stuff, but it also and mainly helps me be patient as I understand WHY the orthodontic process is AND MUST BE SLOW. As much as we may lament about it, it is the truth and we must come to terms with it (at least I do).

Now I agree it would be great to hear Rory or Dr Rick on this subject.

rsprouse

#5 Post by rsprouse »

There are two main types of root resorption, internal and external. Internal resorption happens from the inside out. Radiographically it will look like the canal is getting larger and the walls are getting thinner. External root resorption works in the opposite manner, from the outside in. External is the most common potential resorption from orthodontics and comes from applying too much force. Without going in to too much detail, orthodontic movement involves the breakdown and remodeling of the PDL and associated attachment apparatus of the tooth. It is a normal process and involves normal "wound healing" processes (ie - increased blood flow and associated inflammatory responses). If too much force is used the inflammatory response becomes too much and the body attacks the tooth. This is one of the reasons why orthodontics uses light forces and it takes so long. This is also why if a tooth is involved in a traumatic event, it often times recieves Root Canal Therapy to prevent internal resorption. So when your dentist schedules you for follow up appointments if you are exposed to trauma don't be upset :D

Best,
Rory

broochie

#6 Post by broochie »

Thanks Rory, this makes perfect sense.

diande

#7 Post by diande »

Wow...this makes me re-think my pleasure at having pain after adjustments in order to think movement is happening :shock:
Upper and lower bonded retainers; Upper Hawley for night time

DEBANDED ON FRIDAY 15TH AUGUST 2008 - FINALLY!!!

Braced on 13 September 2006 - Ceramic upper and lower brackets - Estimated time was 12 Months

Meestor138

Re: How does root resorption happen?

#8 Post by Meestor138 »

I just had my braces tightened 2 weeks ago. (2/14) On or around 2/19 I started getting extreme sensitivity with one tooth up front (where I had power chains added), then on Friday 2/25 I noticed my tooth is becoming discolored with a light brownish/reddish color up at the very top of the tooth. I'm going to the dentist in a week, but I'm really worried. Has anyone ever had this happen? I'm worried it's resorption, and that I'll need a root canal or worse.

drrick

Re: How does root resorption happen?

#9 Post by drrick »

If you do a search for rr in my name I made a lengthy post about it a little while back.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News