Brushing tools for braces?! Massively confused!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MetalNerd

Brushing tools for braces?! Massively confused!

#1 Post by MetalNerd »

Sorry, if this is a redundant question, but what brushing tools do you need for braces?

I have a Flexcare-plus Sonicare toothbrush and threader floss.

Hate the threader floss though. Thinking of trying SturdyFloss.

But since I have an electric toothbrush do I still need an "proximal" brush?

It seems kind of over-kill.

When do people use an proximal? AFTER brushing with a normal brush? And what kind
do you use? Sulcabrush? Plastic tip? Christmas tree tip? Metal wires? The syringe type that's squirtable? The range of choices is overwhelming!

Help! Thanks!!!

TumbleDryLow

Re: Brushing tools for braces?! Massively confused!

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

All I used was a manual toothbrush, the floss my dentist gave me for free, and a floss threader. I got a clean bill of heath from my dentist when the braces were removed, but then again, I didn't have any underlying issues like gum recession. As for the inter-proximal brushes, I have three kinds still collecting dust in my bathroom. I think it's just personal preference with those. Try them out and see which you like/works best. Using them before or after you brush is also personal preference. Then again, you may find (like me) that you just don't need them.

MetalNerd

#3 Post by MetalNerd »

Thanks Tumbledry! I was so overwhelmed by the range of devices out there. I guess the basic old school ways are still valid. Though I have invested in some SturdyFloss. Threaders take forever!

seriousthinker

#4 Post by seriousthinker »

I still use my little brush as wekk as my oral b electric toothbrush to get in the little bits around the brace and floss between.

england

#5 Post by england »

My ortho gave me a free sonicare toothbrush and I was told to make that my main toothbrush. I feel like I've just had my teeth professionally cleaned everytime I brush! I just use that and then I floss with that special floss thingy (sorry don't know what it's called!). I also use Crest Pro Health Flouride mouthwash.

Ellebraced

#6 Post by Ellebraced »

I use a oral b electric toothbrush, cordless waterpik and crest glide floss. I don't ever have to use any other brush with the waterpik.

A warning about CREST PRO HEALTH mouthwash, it will stain your teeth, search it on here or look on Amazon, the company even admits this will happen. Just a warning, you may not have issues but I would NEVER use it again after is stained my teeth.

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

kaylaa

#7 Post by kaylaa »

The trick with floss threaders is to tie the floss to the end of the threader. I personally prefer superfloss, but if I'm in a bind I will use the floss threader.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

katiemcb09

#8 Post by katiemcb09 »

I use a waterpik - I probably don't necessarily need it, but it's so easy to keep clean that way. I also have an Oral B Vitality toothbrush with the sensitive brush heads, and use regular old floss. I tried the threaders but got frustrated with how long they took, so I just started threading the floss under each wire. Works for me! Then I use fluoride, which ortho gave me although still not sure if I really need it? And that's it!

24 y/o, 1st timer, ceramic top 6, metal everywhere else
Estimated: 28 months
http://missmetalmouth.wordpress.com/

threescompany

#9 Post by threescompany »

I have a sonicare electric toothbrush, but my ortho said he prefers me to use a manual brush as the vibration could loosen the bracket over time. Not sure I could handle the vibration on the teeth that are sensitive at any rate. Right now I brush with a regular brush morning, after lunch, and before bed. I also use an inter-dental brush and floss at night.
Braced on 3/18/11 at the tender age of 40