So I tried to make a consult

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Neya

So I tried to make a consult

#1 Post by Neya »

I was finally ready to take the leap... I made the call to an ortho/tmj guy for braces. The receptionist asked about my issues, and I explained both the overbite, front teeth pain & wearing down, shifting/crowded teeth and TMJ problems. She said she'd schedule me for a TMJ consult only.... What?! $225 just for the TMJ consult. She tried to reassure me that most insurances will reimburse. I know mine only covers in the event of a jaw fracture or arthritis :evil:
I went through with making the appointment, but after I hung up I thought about it and I think im going to cancel.

Snowglobe32

Re: So I tried to make a consult

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Why can't they do both at the same time?
When I had my consult, that was part of it. I didn't know I was having a tmj consult but he asked me questions... had me open, close...listened for clicking and said I didn't have any issues.

The insurance will reimburse but you have a lifetime cap on ortho expenses. So if they reimburse for the consult, that is less money to go towards the braces.

drgnchsr36

#3 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Even if you go to this consult, I'd recommend having a couple more ... but I'm surprised that they're charging you for it - unless they're doing x-rays and whatnot as well.

I went to three consults and all three were free.

Neya

#4 Post by Neya »

Im not sure, once she heard me say tmj issues she immediately wanted to switch me to a tmj only exam. I also thought as part of braces exam I'd be asked about tmj (which is what my dentist did when we discussed invisalign). I've managed to get together what I need financially, and emotionally for braces/aligners. Now I feel like its either/or.

Almost all consults for braces are free in this area (Im not sure if this Ortho specifically does free ones, I chose him because he's board cert & also seems well versed in TMJ)

My insurance may reimburse on consult, possibly... Both dental and medical clearly state TMJ disorder is not treated, MRI & treatment is only authorized when deemed medically neccessary in the events of jaw breaks/fractures and/or arthritis. I have no ortho coverage either. So it would be my own financial undertaking both ways, however I'm sure I can't backpack both as separate treatments.

Neya

#5 Post by Neya »

drgnchsr36 wrote:Even if you go to this consult, I'd recommend having a couple more ... but I'm surprised that they're charging you for it - unless they're doing x-rays and whatnot as well.

I went to three consults and all three were free.

Also, according to them the intial visit is just a consult. Records (with x-rays) comes after. I can only imagine the utter look of horror on my face if he wanted to do an MRI for tmj. :shock: Many others in the area do free consults, some even with free x-rays. I planned on doing a couple more consults but this Ortho was very close to home(as in, I could walk there, which is super convenient) and had good reviews for both braces and tmj.

Neya

#6 Post by Neya »

I got a call back (yay) and the tmj consult will include braces evaluation.
I suppose that's not all bad. She explained if I wanted to do everything properly because I have tmj I should do both.

That will take a decent amount out of the money saved for down payment. Blah.