refinements = discouraged

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

moon781

refinements = discouraged

#1 Post by moon781 »

So I was at the end of my invisalign treatment (16U/19L) and was told of course I needed refinements. My top teeth look good, but need to come in a bit (I still have a slight overbite) and the bottoms need a little work. I figured I just needed a few.

I won't even get into how many impressions were taken of my teeth and how long that took, but turns out I need 8 more U and 11 more L, which is almost as long as I had the original treatment!

Needless to say, I am discouraged and depressed by this news. To think I am almost done only to find out I have six more months (if that is the end of it, I have trouble believing that) is depressing. I'm getting impatient and very tired of brushing all the time.

Anyone else have this happen to them? How do you get through it? I almost don't even care about my teeth anymore....

margarita2

Re: refinements = discouraged

#2 Post by margarita2 »

This happened to me also. My refinements were for about an extra 3 months though. The frustrating thing for me was having to wait for the refinements to come through. They took about 3 - 4 weeks, so I had to keep wearing the last trays for about 6 weeks, which as you can imagine were gross. The good thing with refinements is that some Orthodontists say that you don't have to wear them for 2 weeks per set. I was able to change them after 7 - 10 days, this really helped get through them. It is incredible how the refinements really tidy everything up though. Just bear with it, it is definately worth it in the end. I know the brushing is a pain, but even after the treatment is completed it is hard to get out of the habit. I finished my treatment last September and now hove bonded retainers behind my teeth, to stop them moving again. However, I hate eating whilst I'm out, because my teeth feel horrible, all I want to do is clean them again. Not a bad habit really and you will be surprised just how white they are when you are cleaning them after every meal. I actually carry about disposable toothbrushes with me so I can clean on the go.

My orthodontist didn't mention anything to me about the possiblility of refinements until near the end of the treatment. However, it appears that most people have to have refinements. It was a complete shock to me too as I thought I would be finished in time for my summer holiday last year. Keep going and it will be over before you know it- Good luck :)

TinySmiley

#3 Post by TinySmiley »

I totally understand your post, moon781.
i had 27 aligners first time around and not even half way thru i can tell they were not fitting properly. At my last appointment they did impressions for my refinements and they made a mistake with my appointment schedule so I had to wait A MONTH AND A HALF to get my new ones!! (that was a long and fustrating wait-- cuz it felt like I was just wasting time) I now have 12 more aligners and again I am half way thru them and I can see the same problem reappearing. i often get discouraged, it's hard not to, so i totally understand how you feel. i just keep trying to think positive and know but the end of my treatment I will have a beautiful smile.
Invisalign: September 2009-May 2011
Ceramic Braces: May 2011-December 2011

moon781

#4 Post by moon781 »

Thanks guys. I guess this is unfortunately a lot more common than I thought. They really should discuss all the extension possibilities when you first start invisalign. I know it will be worth it in the end, I just wish the end was now.

June can't come fast enough! (if that actually is the end)

Wobblydeb

#5 Post by Wobblydeb »

If it's any comfort, they get more and more comfy as time goes on, and you'll hardly notice them by the end!

I had two lots of refinement, and was really pleased with even the small changes during the 2nd refinement. The time will whizz by, and you'll be pleased you did it in the end! :)
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

moon781

#6 Post by moon781 »

I'm about half way through my first (and only b/c I can't do it anymore) refinements, at least for the top. They appear to have stopped moving all together. They are as straight as they should be, but they stick out too much (causing a slight overbite). This has been true since even before I was done with the first sets. I feel like if they haven't moved all the way in by now, they are not going to. Overall, my teeth look LOADS better than when I started and I am able to floss with ease and without pain, which wasn't possible in the beginning, but I don't think they are ever going to be perfect. And I really don't think I have the patience or energy to attempt it. Maybe this is normal, all I know is, a process that I was excited about in the beginning, I now hate. Sigh.

montygrace

#7 Post by montygrace »

This is what I fear. Originally I was told 9 months for my treatment, and I assumed maybe 1-1.5 years including the many refinements I expect I will need.

But now I see I have 42 aligners...so...if I have to do even ONE refinement and that's another 20-30 aligners, OH MY GOD, I'll be 100 by the time my teeth get free!!!