Gap reappeared days after braces removed

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

loz876

Gap reappeared days after braces removed

#1 Post by loz876 »

I had my braces off last Thursday (20-01-11) and was given clear essix retainers. I've been wearing them as instructed, every night. But tonight I noticed my extraction gap had come a little open (I've attached a photo - the gap is on the left between 2 molars). When I take my retainers out in the morning there is no gap but now it's the evening I've noticed a small one. Is this normal? Is this what will always happen or is it just whilst me teeth are settling? Thanks!
EDIT: just realised I uploaded a huge photo, resized it now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Braced 10th July 2008

TumbleDryLow

Re: Gap reappeared days after braces removed

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I'm surprised you are only wearing your retainers at night. Usually orthos have you wear them 24/7 for 6-12 months after debracing. The fact that the gap closes when you are wearing your retainer and opens when you are not suggests that you need to wear your retainer more. I'd call the ortho and let them know what's going on. They may want you to start wearing the retainer in the daytime as well.

loz876

#3 Post by loz876 »

TumbleDryLow wrote:I'm surprised you are only wearing your retainers at night. Usually orthos have you wear them 24/7 for 6-12 months after debracing. The fact that the gap closes when you are wearing your retainer and opens when you are not suggests that you need to wear your retainer more. I'd call the ortho and let them know what's going on. They may want you to start wearing the retainer in the daytime as well.
All of my friends who have had braces (about 5 people) only had to wear them at night... maybe it's more unusual here in the UK to be told to wear them 24/7?
Braced 10th July 2008

ashesgap

#4 Post by ashesgap »

Obviously night time only isn't enough. Try wearing them all day and see if the gaps stay closed. Very strange that you would start out with night time only wear, since you wore the braces 24/7 for so long, you can't just take them off and expect the teeth to stay still. Call your ortho and see what they say. I know I wouldn't want my gaps to re-open.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

fluffybottom

#5 Post by fluffybottom »

It's not uncommon for orthodontists to recommend nighttime only wear. Every ortho is different, every patient is different. A lot of people on these boards (including myself!) have only ever had to do nighttime wear.

However, any concern a person has, they should take up with their ortho. It might be something that warrants a change in the retention plan but, if nothing else, you'll be given a better understanding of what is going on and what to expect.
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.