Help! What should I expect?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MetalNerd

Help! What should I expect?

#1 Post by MetalNerd »

Hi all,

Well, I have had a terrible time trying to find a decent orthodontist. After checking out three, I think I may go with the one that offers the best deal, since my experience with the most expensive one proved to be rather dismal.

So, I have an appt this week to get braces, but I'm not sure what to expect. They told me I don't need to have a mold made, but will get braces on the top of my teeth first. Is that right? The other thing is I'm gonna go on a trip for a few weeks and worry that if I have problems I won't be able to see my ortho. Although they told me I probably wouldn't need to worry. But given my luck I'm sure I'll have issues when I'm like thousands of miles away. So I guess I'll wait?

Anyway, I wanted to know what exactly to expect on my first day at the Ortho. Like I just thought it was weird that I don't get a mold.

Thanks all.

luchababe

Re: Help! What should I expect?

#2 Post by luchababe »

I didn't get a mold either when I got mine. They said they only do that at the end for the retainers.

I think after a few weeks in braces you'll know what's working and what's not so you'll be comfortable enough to go away, so I wouldn't worry about that. Any pain and discomfort you have should be under control or gone. You'll know if anything's poking you or rubbing the wrong way by then so you can get any wires snipped down or be an expert with the wax. I just wouldn't schedule your first adjustment until after you get back.

drgnchsr36

Re: Help! What should I expect?

#3 Post by drgnchsr36 »

I agree with luchababe.

Also, I recommend that you use wax wax wax in the beginning. As time goes on, you probably won't need it.