Someone Explain!?? Numbness in Lower Lip/ Chin?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BigJaw

Someone Explain!?? Numbness in Lower Lip/ Chin?

#1 Post by BigJaw »

I saw my surgeon today and he explained to me that I'll be having lower jaw set back surgery (8mm), and possibly upper jaw moved forward but cant decide yet.

Anyway, ive been watching some youtube vids and reading on the process. From what i understand, lower jaw is broken around wisdom teeth area and then repositioned???

So why do you get numbness in your lower lip/ chin area, possibly permanently? surely they are never touching the or lower lip area? I thought the jaw is broken more towards the back of the mouth????

Can anyone provide me with some clarification please. Much appreciated.
BigJaw :D

WiredRunner

Re: Someone Explain!?? Numbness in Lower Lip/ Chin?

#2 Post by WiredRunner »

There's a big nerve that runs all the way through your mandible that is responsible for the feeling in your lower lip and chin (colored blue below).

Someone posted this link a few months ago and I bookmarked it. Hopefully you'll find it as helpful as I have. :)
http://www.maxfac.com/facial/jaw.html
Braced December 14, 2009
Debraced November 9, 2011

qwertz1

#3 Post by qwertz1 »

right. and even if the surgeon protects this nerve it gets irritated because of the stretching/compressing caused by the jaw movement.

bb

#4 Post by bb »

Don't they peel away the skin to expose the jaw in order to operate? (except for the mandibular nerve) I thought this is why we needed stitches.