What was your first meal/food after braces?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kgstar

What was your first meal/food after braces?

#1 Post by kgstar »

After getting braced, what was your first meal? What was it? Was it a good idea or a very bad choice for a first meal? :lol:
Did you try to eat a fat steak only to end up eating pudding? :yuck:
I have heard the term "eating like my grandfather's dog" (rotfl), is the what your first time eating with braces was like?
I get on my kids CONSTANTLY about them eating with their mouths wide open, it KIIIIILLLLLS me!! Is that how I will be for the first few meals? I would love to have that to look forward to and teach them a lesson! :lol:
And can you seriously not close your mouth for the first few days? I can imagine my waking up like my little one, with dried slobber and a stinky pillow!! :lol:
I want to hear your funny stories, I gotta have something funny to look forward to :)
KgStar

29 y.o.
Uppers: Ceramic Invu
Lowers: Metal Damons

Find my story here [url=http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38160]

Ionika

Re: What was your first meal/food after braces?

#2 Post by Ionika »

i had scrambled eggs at first...when i got them i didnt know about this forum so i wasnt prepared other then the advice given at the dr's office about peanuts and stuff... but i figured it will hurt and anyways i had an extraction done in the same day so i was on soft food anyway..

after that, i always get my aunt fix me a vegetable mashed soup, that i have the next day after appointments.. and stick to spinach (you can not imagine how it hides inthere) and mashed potatoes... pasta and rice...for the 2 days after appointments...then i eat regullar food

not so funny for me, but funny story, at the begining i coulndt close my lips properly and especially when sleeping they popped open right away, and i would wake up...
then in 2 minutes i fell asleep they popped open, i woke and so on... :-+
but it went away in 2 weeks or so.. :jump:

and the second month in braces i think, i tried to eat an apple...with a knife of course, finely slicing it....it took me an hour and a half to eat it :)) now im all right...

50+

#3 Post by 50+ »

My first meal were peas and chicken salad.They were hard to eat. I picked out all the small pieces of celery and ate very little of both items. I had my braces put on in the morning and that was all I could find in our cafeteria that seemed soft! At home, I had applesauce and yogurt. I can eat most anything now, but it is hard to eat maturely with braces - so plan on joining your kids! As far as drooling...my molars didn't meet so my mouth was more open than normal and I would wake up with drool coming out of my mouth. I still drool at times now, but it depends on the situation. Some foods make my mouth water excessively after I eat and I have to swallow a lot to control it.

Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences as a newby! :D
50+ ceramics top and bottom as of 2-16-10
Scheduled to have braces removed on 8-16-12!!

JennyLaughs

#4 Post by JennyLaughs »

My first meal after getting my braces on was a steak actually, lol. I had no pain yet at that time but I knew it was on it's way, so I just decided to go for it and enjoy my last pain-free meal. I did have to cut it into very small pieces and chew more carefully (I wasn't used to the way the braces pull on your teeth when you chew yet) but I did it. They next day I had Frosted Mini Wheats that I soaked in the milk for 5 minutes so they were nice and squishy. I can eat regular foods now (that arn't on the no-no list of course) and my teeth are feeling pretty good without any ibuprophen.

ryan91

#5 Post by ryan91 »

Wow, I need to think waaay back.
When I first got them in, I was just eating soup for a while because my mouth was so so sore!

drgnchsr36

#6 Post by drgnchsr36 »

My first meal wasn't anything exciting. I had chicken noodle soup! But, I did have pasta later that night and all seemed to be OK. I had Souplantation today and even though my mouth was a tad sore, I still had salad, soup, yummy blueberry muffins, and jello! Tonight, I'm back to boring soup - but I'm hoping my mouth toughens up with the brackets and I can stop using all this wax!

kgstar

#7 Post by kgstar »

drgnchsr36 wrote:My first meal wasn't anything exciting. I had chicken noodle soup! But, I did have pasta later that night and all seemed to be OK. I had Souplantation today and even though my mouth was a tad sore, I still had salad, soup, yummy blueberry muffins, and jello! Tonight, I'm back to boring soup - but I'm hoping my mouth toughens up with the brackets and I can stop using all this wax!
WAX is a lifesaver! I just want to put it on all the braces and wear it the entire time!! so soothing! :soremouth:
KgStar

29 y.o.
Uppers: Ceramic Invu
Lowers: Metal Damons

Find my story here [url=http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38160]

ashesgap

#8 Post by ashesgap »

kgstar wrote:
drgnchsr36 wrote:My first meal wasn't anything exciting. I had chicken noodle soup! But, I did have pasta later that night and all seemed to be OK. I had Souplantation today and even though my mouth was a tad sore, I still had salad, soup, yummy blueberry muffins, and jello! Tonight, I'm back to boring soup - but I'm hoping my mouth toughens up with the brackets and I can stop using all this wax!
WAX is a lifesaver! I just want to put it on all the braces and wear it the entire time!! so soothing! :soremouth:
LOL, some nights i went to bed with wax alllll over my top teeth. For some reason the bottoms never rubbed too bad, but the tops were awful. And there are actually some days now that i have my front four covered. Ends up looking like i have a huge upper lip. But it feels so good when your lips are raw.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

drgnchsr36

#9 Post by drgnchsr36 »

ashesgap wrote:
kgstar wrote:
LOL, some nights i went to bed with wax alllll over my top teeth. For some reason the bottoms never rubbed too bad, but the tops were awful. And there are actually some days now that i have my front four covered. Ends up looking like i have a huge upper lip. But it feels so good when your lips are raw.
Yeah, so true! I actually bought more wax tonight, will try and pick up more at the ortho's next week. The two brackets that bug me the most have an indent that sticks out (I think they're for elastics later?)... but the other ones don't bother me too much - unless I rub my tongue over them.

Ionika

#10 Post by Ionika »

aaaaa
and at the beggining i had a vampire canine that sticked out..

so when they put bracket on it it sticked even more out...so after i laughed my upper lip couldnt pass by it, back into its place and it remained suspended above the bracket, in a wierd grin :GapToothed:

i had to consciously concentrate to bring my lip over the bracket :))

silverlightstar

#11 Post by silverlightstar »

Vegetable korma; I had to fight the weird feeling to rush to the bathroom to clean my teeth while eating!

That and it was soft enough that it didn't kill me.

GRILLZ

#12 Post by GRILLZ »

a mango smoothie. that evening i had stouffer's frozen macaroni and cheese.

loradora

#13 Post by loradora »

I really can't remember my first meal. I do remember eating very slowly in the beginning and cutting up grilled cheese sandwiches into bite-sized pieces for about two weeks. The side of my mouth kept getting in the way of my lower brackets and upper teeth and I'd chomp down on it. Owie. Things got better after the first few weeks.

anxiousgirl

#14 Post by anxiousgirl »

I think I just made myself a glass of chocolate milk.
which isnt really a meal or food..

So the first food would have to be lamb chops. And my mum had to cut them up so tiny, i couldnt even chew them with these molar buildups i had to just swallow the pieces.

noveldevice

#15 Post by noveldevice »

I think I had cream of wheat. For a couple of weeks I mostly ate coffee and cream of wheat.

I've had braces for almost three months. There are days when I can't actually chew with my mouth closed. Yes, I drool a lot at night sometimes. I didn't eat pasta or pizza for two months after I got my braces. There are still a lot of foods I can't eat. I still swallow stuff whole a lot.

The only way to approach this is to just get through it. It'll hurt, sometimes it'll be awkward. You'll do stuff that's awkward. You'll develop weird habits. You'll hate them sometimes and sometimes you won't notice them, and occasionally you'll like them because you'll look forward to what you will look like and how you will feel when you've done.