Whitening before braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

drgnchsr36

Whitening before braces?

#1 Post by drgnchsr36 »

I'm wondering if it's worth trying to whiten my teeth before braces in January or if I should wait the 2yrs....

For those of you who have whitened their teeth, could it be done in 3 weeks?

Thanks!

ashesgap

Re: Whitening before braces?

#2 Post by ashesgap »

I did the crest white strips before i got mine put on. I did two strips a day, upper and lower, for about 2 weeks. I had to space it out a little cause it caused my teeth to be very sensitive. One of the docs on here suggested giving your teeth two weeks between whitening and getting the braces. Thats what i did and i didn't have any issues. I felt a lot better having whitened just a little, but as soon as i can i'm going to whiten after i get the braces off.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

drgnchsr36

#3 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Hmm, if I try it.. I have a 2 week window then.. if I did it 2 weeks before braces. I might try it for a couple of days and see how it goes!

Audra

#4 Post by Audra »

Whitening before braces can affect the ability of the brackets to adhere to your teeth (this has been confirmed by Dr. Rick on this board). It's probably best to wait until you are done with your treatment.

drgnchsr36

#5 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Awww, darn. Ok, I will wait then.

thanks!

ashesgap

#6 Post by ashesgap »

Dr Rick is the one who said give your teeth two weeks between whitening and bonding.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

RedDress

#7 Post by RedDress »

drgnchsr36 wrote:Awww, darn. Ok, I will wait then.

thanks!
I did the stupid thing of waiting and now regret it. I cannot do it now, but I wish I could. Firstly my teeth look pretty yellow and it makes the whole thing look unattractive. If I had them whitened then my transparent shiny innovation Cs would have looked much better. I do not know what kind of braces you are getting, but if transparent once - go for whitening. You can also do lazer whitening (that's what I am going to do after I am done). That will be expensive but fast and longer lasting .
Also, now, that my teeth have straitened, I can see some filings in between my teeth and those look pretty ugly. I would have them replaced, but I cannot do it since then I will have to redo if after the whitening when the color will change.
So, my advice - go for it! Braces will be on your teeth for a couple of years and you will feel much better, if you are selfconfident about the look of your mouth. Braces make white teeth look great (like my husband sais - it is like a tiara on your teeth) . but on grey or yellow teeth they look pretty awful.

drrick

#8 Post by drrick »

You can also do lazer whitening (that's what I am going to do after I am done). That will be expensive but fast and longer lasting .

Says who?
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

drgnchsr36

#9 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Hmm. I'm getting ceramic on top. I'll check it out at the store.. I just don't want to try it and screw it up..then I'm stuck for 2yrs with it. I wish I had thought of this sooner!!!

RedDress

#10 Post by RedDress »

drrick wrote:You can also do lazer whitening (that's what I am going to do after I am done). That will be expensive but fast and longer lasting .

Says who?
Well I agree that that's debatable depending on what you call "long losting". But that was not the point of my post. I though the point was clear enough though.

MisAligned

#11 Post by MisAligned »

I used the Crest Whitening Strips for a few weeks before getting my braces. I was a little sensitive when they were put on, but it was still tolerable. I haven't had any trouble with brackets coming off (though I am just one person).

I had been worried about the two-tone look with debanding, but others on this board have reassured me that this won't likely be a problem. I do try to keep my teeth free of stains with whitening toothpaste.