Will a bonded retainer prevent a second relapse?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

felicia

Will a bonded retainer prevent a second relapse?

#1 Post by felicia »

My UR1 was always a little bit shorter. With the help of braces it was leveled and aligned with his brother. One month after debanding, I am back in braces to fix it. The Hawley retainer was not able to keep it in place.
Here I am, already being worried about a second relapse. I wonder if a permanent retainer would prevent a second relapse?
What do you guys think?

drrick

Re: Will a bonded retainer prevent a second relapse?

#2 Post by drrick »

It is often more difficult to place upper bonded retainers but the answer is...maybe :)
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

felicia

#3 Post by felicia »

Drrick, how about a permanent retainer only for UR1 and UL1? Would that work?

drrick

#4 Post by drrick »

Same answer as above.
Usually easier with just the upper centrals though.
Developer of:

Audra

#5 Post by Audra »

I see that many people who have bonded retainers only have them on the bottom, but I have both arches bonded. I asked the ortho's assistant why most people only have them on the bottom. She told me it had to do with the person's bite.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. On the top arch, 4 teeth are included in the permanent retainer. On the bottom it is 6 teeth.

Lynette

#6 Post by Lynette »

Last time I had braces, I had bonded retainers on my top and bottom. They only cover your first 4-6 teeth, so a couple of years later my back teeth shifted :(

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

Audra

#7 Post by Audra »

Didn't you also wear removable retainers at night? I have to wear my essix retainers every night for a year and then maybe 3 times a night for life.

felicia

#8 Post by felicia »

Drrick, I'm sorry if I keep repeating myself while looking for an answer to my concerns. I have another question.
How would you prevent an extruded tooth to go back in?

Lynette

#9 Post by Lynette »

Audra wrote:Didn't you also wear removable retainers at night? I have to wear my essix retainers every night for a year and then maybe 3 times a night for life.
Nope, he only gave me bonded. Looking back I wish I asked for essix as well, but I trusted my ortho when he said that having just bonded retainers would be fine :(

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

sniffer

#10 Post by sniffer »

I have upper and lower bonded retainers and essix type retainers aswell

newsboysgrl777

#11 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

I'm thinking this has more to do with ortho preferences and how (s)he was taught. My ortho told me 'they' don't like adults to be in upper & lower retainers, so she puts bonded on the bottom. I'd MUCH rather have 2 hawleys (or 2 essex, I suppose) than one bonded and one hawley/essex. I will ask her about relapsing and how well the bonded retainer works, etc., because, like many of you have said...it only covers 'x' amount of teeth...whereas traditional retainers cover them ALL. NO WAY do I want to be back in braces again.

Additionally, I'm in braces for jaw alignment. Granted, the braces didn't FIX that...but camoflauged the discrepancy by moving my teeth. Do you suppose retainers would be enough to prevent it from going back to where it was previous to braces? Obviously these are questions I WILL be asking my ortho at my next appointment (where she'll be making a mold for my upper retainer), but figured I'd ask in the mean time.

Thanks!

drrick

#12 Post by drrick »

Drrick, I'm sorry if I keep repeating myself while looking for an answer to my concerns. I have another question.
How would you prevent an extruded tooth to go back in?
Overcorrection if possible and retention. If a hawley will often add anextra wire at the gum level to engage the tooth and keep it from intruding. If was rotated add in a fiberotomy.
Developer of: