Third day of braces and still happy UK aged 41

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jaybe

Third day of braces and still happy UK aged 41

#1 Post by jaybe »

I got so much great info on here when I was considering braces that I just wanted to add my experience to reassure anyone who is worried about getting fixed braces.

I had metal braces fixed on Friday, just on my upper teeth. I was in the ortho's office for just 30 minutes total. I couldn't believe how fast and stress free the process was. 20 minutes to clean my teeth and fit the braces, then I had to watch a video and had a chat with someone about care and cleaning.

It is now Sunday and I have had no pain or trouble. My teeth feel a bit weird. Certainly not sore but kind of under pressure but it is not uncomfortable. I have a couple of sore spots from the braces rubbing but nothing bad and the wax works really well.

I had no problems cleaning my teeth. I thought they might be sensitive but they are fine. Flossing takes quite a bit longer. I got the waxed tip Oral B floss so I can thread it through my wires. The floss threaders that the ortho gave me are too thick for my tiny gaps.

I bought in lots of soft foods but I haven't really needed them. I am eating cheese on toast as I type this. I cut my food up smaller and can still chew gently and mash my food up with my tongue too.

I was offered the invisible braces but I went for the metal ones because I'm not that bothered about the look of them. I actually like them. They look kind of quirky and quelled my urge to get another piercing, for a while.

The worst part of the process was having a healthy tooth removed to make space. It wasn't painful at all but was slightly gruesome.

I'm really happy and keep looking at recent pictures of myself with crooked teeth. I can't wait for my teeth to start to straighten. My ortho says it should take about 12 months because he only needs to move a few teeth. I have crowding and my teeth stick out at the front.

rhomboid

#2 Post by rhomboid »

Glad that you have adjusted well. Can you post pictures? They add to the story.

BraceFace2o1o

Re: Third day of braces and still happy UK aged 41

#3 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Congrats on starting your brace journey :D And I am really glad it's been a breeze for you so far, I wish I could say the same thing! My teeth got really sore about 9 hours after they were fitted (4 days ago) and have been causing me discomfort pretty much constantly ever since. Eating food that I have to chew was so uncomfortable (and I would say I have quite a high pain tolerance, so not sure what's going on) it was a no go. I have been living on soup and mash for the past 4 days. Things started to feel a little less painful lastnight and today, so maybe I can start introducing more solid food soon.

I agree, flossing is a nightmare. This has to be the one thing at the moment that is making me say "what have I done? I really regret getting these braces!". What type of floss do you have? I bought the Oral-B SuperFloss yesterday and it does not fit between my teeth :( so I can't use that. I need to find another type that will easily thread under my wire! :shock: and I find the UK is VERY limited on products for people with braces :(

Wow what I'd give to be eating some cheese on toast right now! :D

I look forward to reading your future updates
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

catgyrl

#4 Post by catgyrl »

Chrystal-

Did you try Crest Glide Threader Floss? They're what I use, too, because the Superfloss gets caught in my teeth, too. Do they sell that in the UK? I know they sell it on Dentakit.com, but the shipping might be a bit much. Have you tried just threading the regular floss under your brackets? I have, and it's near impossible for me to do so.

jaybe - Congrats to you! 12 months? You're so lucky. Most of us are sentenced to 18-24 months.

-Cathy

jaybe

#5 Post by jaybe »

Sorry you are having such a hard time Chrystal. Hope you feel better soon. I am using Oral B Superfloss. It is awkward to thread and my front teeth seem to have moved closer together in the last couple of days. Maybe it's my imagination.

Are you using mouthwash? Forcing mouthwash through the gaps when you swill might keep them clean until your teeth are feeling a bit less sensitive. Then you could retry the floss. Have a look on the internet for supplies. I agree there was hardly anything in the shops. I thought it was just my town which is a bit backward. I have never seen any adults with braces around here.

I guess I have been lucky so far. My front two teeth are the most sensitive. I couldn't bite with them for sure. My teeth on the left side are ok so I think they are just wired up to stop them from moving. I suppose if you are having more teeth moved it hurts more.

Rhomboid - yes I need to take some photos. I did take a couple before I had my tooth out but haven't got around to taking any of my braces yet.

Catgyrl - the ortho said 12 months. I hope he isn't being over-optimistic! If I'm done by summer 2012 I will be happy with that.

RunningMad

#6 Post by RunningMad »

Hello all

I'm 41 and in the UK and just got braced today (uppers & lowers) for 24 months.

I had to have two healthy teeth out last Friday to make way for the movement and I agree that was worse than the braces (so far anyway).

I've ordered a few things from Denta kit and yes the shipping was expensive but I could not see anywhere in the UK that sold the same products.

Anyway I'm just glad the journey has finally started!

1st adjustment: 11th January 2011

Uppers & Lower metal braces: 23rd November 2010 for 2 years

jaybe

#7 Post by jaybe »

Congrats RunningMad. How are you feeling?

It's been almost a week for me. I still can't bite with my front teeth. I had to give up on trying to eat a nan bread with my curry last night :D Eating is definitely getting easier though.

My first adjustment is on 7th January. They tried to book me in for 23rd December! I said "I don't think so!" I want to be able to enjoy eating over Christmas.

Vanessaness

#8 Post by Vanessaness »

Wow you are lucky! I'm 42 and my 14 year old daughter and I got ours yesterday. And we are in PAIN! Cant chew a thing. Our gums are sensitive and the inside of our lips and tips of our tongues are sore and bleeding. We've tried Aleve, Tylenol PM and Orajel. They all wear off too soon. I have to admit though the Tylenol PM did help me get some bit of sleep last night. And sipping on some ice cold smoothy this afternoon helped alleviate some of the soreness.

Can I just say I wish I had your pain tolerance?

anniegirl

#9 Post by anniegirl »

I got mine on 8 days ago; I still can't really bite with my front teeth, and have to eat slowly or all my teeth hurt afterwards!!! The inside of my mouth hurt for the first couple of days, so I used the wax, which is brilliant, and it is fine now. It is getting easier though, will so be worth it! I keep looking for some movement, I think I am expecting too much too soon.........!!

RunningMad

#10 Post by RunningMad »

10 days have gone by already and today I was thinking to myself I almost keep forgetting that I have braces. I can eat normally now and have got used to food getting caught in them but I think they've settled in now lol.

Only time I get a bit self conscious still is when I'm talking to strangers but hey ho so what I've got braces and I'm going to have straight nice teeth in the end! :-*
I know the pain will come again on the next adjustment but I know how to 'cope' with it and what to expect and that it will pass in a few days :tingrin:

Going to take some more piccies today because I don't know if it's my imagination but I think the gaps might be closing a little bit and one of my bottom teeth isn't as crooked (I think...!)

RunningMad

#11 Post by RunningMad »

Hello

Has anyone else noticed any marks on their teeth? I'm wondering if it's where the braces have moved from and it's left a mark - is that possible? It's not the white marks which I've read about, they're kind of translucent is the only way I can describe them? Going to have a look back on my pictures before the braces!

jaybe

#12 Post by jaybe »

RunningMad I think what you are talking about is the stuff they glued the brackets to your teeth with. I have that too. I have noticed that my teeth look more grey in general. I don't know if it's because I am more aware of them and I'm just paranoid or whether they have actually changed colour.

I was due my first adjustment today but I postponed until after Christmas. I didn't want pain over Christmas.

Some days I feel like I have a mouth full of metal. Some days I hardly think about them. I haven't had any problems so far though other than a bit of chafing in my mouth. I still can't bite with my front teeth. The last couple of days they have become more sensitive it seems. It doesn't really bother me much. I just cut my food up small and chew with my back teeth.

I don't really care about pain or discomfort at this point as long as I get straighter teeth. No pain no gain. Hahaha wait til I get them tightened in January then ask me again!