Are the first 6 weeks....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

seriousthinker

Are the first 6 weeks....

#1 Post by seriousthinker »

Hey,

I am newly braced on my upper arch only. I had no extractions and so IPR yet although it is something my orthodontist has discussed with me but he's going to see how it goes.

Are the first six weeks generally made up of my teeth getting used to being braced rather than any movement occurring? What were your experiences?

I can't stop looking at them and thinking how much better I'll feel when they do begin to shift a bit.

Thanks!

BraceFace2o1o

#2 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I certainly think movement can be seen within the first 6 weeks. I actually saw some movement within the first week (very small, so only I could probably notice, but it was there).

I know movement was planned in my first 5 weeks (my first adjustment was booked for 5 weeks after they were fitted) as I have wire ties on 5 of my teeth and they seem to be the ones to have moved the mos,t as the others have ligatures, and over time they stretch.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

luchababe

#3 Post by luchababe »

I really noticed movement at the 4 week mark. It's like my teeth spent 3 weeks just loosening up and now they're ready to go! My ortho said very confidently and casually "Oh, I can have your teeth straight in 6 months" so I'm holding him to that! Take loads and loads of photos for your own records. It's VERY satisfying to see a visual record of your teeth.

hypocrite opportunist

#4 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

I've had my braces on 2 and 1/2 months, and I haven't really seen a lot of movement yet, other than my upper arch being pushed forward so that I could get my bottom braces on w/o biting them off. Other than that, movement has been minimal.
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]

Lynette

#5 Post by Lynette »

I found that most of my movement occurred in the first 8 weeks. I am now 3 months in and movement is now very minimal. My molars aren't moving as quick as I would like them to because they have a large root system.

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

seriousthinker

#6 Post by seriousthinker »

Thank you. I suppose something must be happening or I wouldn't feel tender in different parts of my mouth on different days.

Last night I was feeling around my teeth and brackets and lightly pushed on my front left tooth (one that is the straightest there but could do with being angled slightly) and it clicked a teeny weeny bit. I *think* that might be movement!

I think I need to stop obsessing over it so much and trust in my ortho to do his job.

Lynette

#7 Post by Lynette »

Try taking photos once a month. I find that's the best way to see if I've had any movement :)

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

Kittykins

#8 Post by Kittykins »

I've had movement :D I'm only 3 weeks in and I have a little gap that has emerged in the last 3 days in between my two front teeth :D Gonna take pictures on the 4 week mark so then I can have a picture every month to compare XD

11/11/10 - Got Braces (Top and Bottom) - Green Ligs
21/12/10 - First Adjustment - Bright Pink Ligs
01/02/11 - Second Adjustment - New Wire - Bright Blue Ligs
15/03/11 - Got Elastics 6.4mm to twist twice on both sides
10/05/11 - Got Power Chains and elastics both sides
21/06/11 - Power Chains on bottom, elastics on right hand side

seriousthinker

#9 Post by seriousthinker »

That's great kittykins!

If the constant looking wears off, once a month or every 4 weeks sounds like a good plan then I can look at the pics side by side :)

ST

kimmie117

#10 Post by kimmie117 »

Kittykins wrote:I've had movement :D I'm only 3 weeks in and I have a little gap that has emerged in the last 3 days in between my two front teeth :D Gonna take pictures on the 4 week mark so then I can have a picture every month to compare XD
Me too, kitty! I started freaking out bc I've always had a little "pepper space" in btw in 2 front teeth but it wasn't until I was in my 2nd week (I'm on my 3rd week now) that Ive heard my bf & family point out how hugeeee my once little pepper space has gotten! im kinda concerned bc my uppers have 3 extractions gaps..so it's not like it's crowded. And it needs space. I'm trying to CLOSE those spaces!! :( so idk why my 2 front teeth would need that space? My ortho did mention he was gonna file my 2 front teeth to make it slimmer? I won't have my 1st adjustment until January so I'm so antsy! :/
In-Ovation C top&bottom
treatment time: 21 months

Follow my blog for more updates:

http://kimmie117.blogspot.com/

kimmie117

#11 Post by kimmie117 »

kimmie117 wrote:
Kittykins wrote:I've had movement :D I'm only 3 weeks in and I have a little gap that has emerged in the last 3 days in between my two front teeth :D Gonna take pictures on the 4 week mark so then I can have a picture every month to compare XD
Me too, kitty! I started freaking out bc I've always had a little "pepper space" in btw in 2 front teeth but it wasn't until I was in my 2nd week (I'm on my 3rd week now) that Ive heard my bf & family point out how hugeeee my once little pepper space has gotten! im kinda concerned bc my uppers have 3 extractions gaps..so it's not like it's crowded. And it needs space. I'm trying to CLOSE those spaces!! :( so idk why my 2 front teeth would need that space? My ortho did mention he was gonna file my 2 front teeth to make it slimmer? I won't have my 1st adjustment until January so I'm so antsy! :/
Whoops. I can't count. I'm just now on my 2nd week. But it feels like forever though! :p
In-Ovation C top&bottom
treatment time: 21 months

Follow my blog for more updates:

http://kimmie117.blogspot.com/

blackapple

#12 Post by blackapple »

Lynette wrote:Try taking photos once a month. I find that's the best way to see if I've had any movement :)
Exactly. For the longest time I swore my teeth were not moving. Boy was I wrong. Those things are moving as depicted in my photo timeline I have on my computer. Then again I was obsessing every morning in the mirror over it. Finally decided to let the process be and go on with life.

lu lu

#13 Post by lu lu »

Kittykins wrote:I've had movement :D I'm only 3 weeks in and I have a little gap that has emerged
SNAP!!!

I noticed I had a gap appear between 1 of my teeth he is trying to pull up (twisted canine) & this was at 3 weeks too.

My other 1 his trying to do the same too isn't moving yet though lol :?
For my Braces Story - with photos click here
Wearing Lower Ceramic Brace / Upper Lingual Brace (Incognito) / Sentence 18 - 24 months

Kittykins

#14 Post by Kittykins »

kimmie117 wrote: Me too, kitty! I started freaking out bc I've always had a little "pepper space" in btw in 2 front teeth but it wasn't until I was in my 2nd week (I'm on my 3rd week now) that Ive heard my bf & family point out how hugeeee my once little pepper space has gotten! im kinda concerned bc my uppers have 3 extractions gaps..so it's not like it's crowded. And it needs space. I'm trying to CLOSE those spaces!! :( so idk why my 2 front teeth would need that space?
:o I know what you mean! I have two extractions one on top left and one bottom left, so really I want the teeth to move to the left :L Unless thats what the one incisor is currently doing hence the gap XD It's really weird, I keep moving my tounge over it :o Can't wait for 4 weeks so I can take a picture and compare :D

11/11/10 - Got Braces (Top and Bottom) - Green Ligs
21/12/10 - First Adjustment - Bright Pink Ligs
01/02/11 - Second Adjustment - New Wire - Bright Blue Ligs
15/03/11 - Got Elastics 6.4mm to twist twice on both sides
10/05/11 - Got Power Chains and elastics both sides
21/06/11 - Power Chains on bottom, elastics on right hand side

revontuli

Re: Are the first 6 weeks....

#15 Post by revontuli »

I *thought* wasn't getting any movement my first six weeks and was quite dejected about it. Then I took a comparison photo and compared it to the one I took on day 1, and was very surprised to see that there indeed had been movement. I'd been watching so closely, I didn't even notice it! :-)